Re: [json] Helpless beginner

  • Stephan Beal
    Message 1 of 8 , May 19, 2011
      On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:47 PM, jonerlandmadsen <
      jon.erland.madsen@...> wrote:

      > According to Wikipedia, I can make an object out of it, using "eval". The
      > example given is:
      >
      > var p = eval("(" + contact + ")");
      >
      > ..where 'contact' is the json array contained in a text object.
      >
      > But there must be a step between, that is not explained.

      Nope. JSON is a subset of JavaScript and eval() runs the JavaScript which is
      passed to it. The extra parenthesis are a workaround (for what, exactly, i
      don't remember).

      > The
      > aforementioned external json array has no name. It just starts with a
      > paranthesis [

      After the above line runs, it has the name 'p' (the name you gave it).

      --
      ----- stephan beal
      http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

    • jonerlandmadsen
      Message 2 of 8 , May 19, 2011
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Stephan Beal <sgbeal@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:47 PM, jonerlandmadsen <
        > jon.erland.madsen@...> wrote:
        >
        > > According to Wikipedia, I can make an object out of it, using "eval". The
        > > example given is:
        > >
        > > var p = eval("(" + contact + ")");
        > >
        > > ..where 'contact' is the json array contained in a text object.
        > >
        > > But there must be a step between, that is not explained.
        > >

        > Nope. JSON is a subset of JavaScript and eval() runs the JavaScript which is
        > passed to it. The extra parenthesis are a workaround (for what, exactly, i
        > don't remember).
        >

        > > The
        > > aforementioned external json array has no name. It just starts with a
        > > paranthesis [
        > >

        > After the above line runs, it has the name 'p' (the name you gave it).
        >
        > --
        > ----- stephan beal
        > http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

        Thank you for your kind answer, but it does not address my problem: How to get the external json array into a text string (that can then be parsed).
      • Stephan Beal
        Message 3 of 8 , May 19, 2011
          On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM, jonerlandmadsen <
          jon.erland.madsen@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for your kind answer, but it does not address my problem: How to
          > get the external json array into a text string (that can then be parsed).

          You already have it: the "contact" string is the array, as a JSON-formatted
          string.

          --
          ----- stephan beal
          http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

        • Connie Clark
          Message 4 of 8 , May 19, 2011
            Here are several patterns I often use which may help you

            *If the list data is available at the time your server is
            returning the rest of the page content
            *
            Pattern.1:

            Have the server emit a script tag that pulls in
            your javascript code for doing something with the list,
            say a function called handleMyList.

            Have the server then emit (within script tags)
            handleMyList( [ item1, item2, item2 ] );

            Pattern.2:

            Have the server emit (within script tags)
            var listArr = [ item1, item2, item3 ];

            Then have the server emit a script tag that
            pulls in your javascript code for doing something
            with listArr.

            *If you need to request the list after the user has
            done other selections:*

            This is quite similar to Pattern.1, but you
            would use an AJAX style request to get the
            content back.

            *OR, to do it "by hand"*

            On your HTML page
            define an iframe IFR
            define a form F
            with action: serverUrl
            target: IFR
            and hidden fields for any parameters
            you need to pass

            When the user makes their selection
            F.parm1.value = "..."
            F.submit();

            Have the server return (within script tags)
            parent.top.handleMyList( [ item1, item2, item3 ]);

            Connie

          • jon.erland.madsen@jiffymade.no
            Message 5 of 8 , May 19, 2011
              Thank you so very much!

              I got help and will use the following code (my script is client side):

              function createXMLHttpRequest()
              {
              try { return new XMLHttpRequest(); } catch(e) {}
              try { return new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP"); } catch (e) {}
              return null;
              }

              var url = "http://www.finansportalen.no/services/sph/produkt/list/";
              var xhReq = createXMLHttpRequest();
              xhReq.open("GET", url, false);
              xhReq.send(null);

              var sphdata = eval(xhReq.responseText);

              (I would have prefered, however, to have the object declared by the server
              and posted as a .js file i could simply include, thus enabling me to
              access it directly. But the above will do.)

              Thanks again!

              jon.erland.madsen@...> wrote:

              > Hi!
              >
              > I am trying to get an answer to what must be JSON-question number two,
              > but
              > apparently, the answer to my question is too obvious to be included in
              > the
              > Q&As I've found.
              >
              > I will use an external JSON-array in my javascript. It originates from
              > our
              > own server, so there are no security concerns.
              >
              > The address is be for instance:
              >
              > http://www.mysite.no/services/product/list/
              >
              > According to Wikipedia, I can make an object out of it, using "eval".
              > The
              > example given is:
              >

              > var p = eval("(" + contact + ")");
              >

              > ..where 'contact' is the json array contained in a text object.
              >
              > But there must be a step between, that is not explained. The
              > aforementioned external json array has no name. It just starts with a
              > paranthesis [
              >
              > I would thus have to convert it into a string first. How do I do that
              > (javascript does not allow you to read external files into a string, as
              > for
              > instance php does).
              >
              > Can I convert a json array directly using the url as an argument in
              > eval()
              > (probably not)?
              >
              > I have programmed for 20 years (!) but never used JSON. I feel like a
              > complete fool. I've searched the internet two hours for the answer to
              > this. Even googling json+dummies or json+newbie didn't help. They all
              > write
              > about different parsers.
              >
              > If you could help me, I would be very grateful.

            • kylealanhale
              Message 6 of 8 , May 20, 2011
                I want to clarify a couple of things that no one else seems to have
                addressed:
                * There is no such thing as "an external JSON-array"; JSON is just a
                data transfer format, or, more correctly, a data transfer notation
                (JavaScript Object Notation). What you described in your last post, of
                defining the array in a javascript file that you include in your page,
                is not JSON at all, just JavaScript.
                * You should never transfer JSON-encoded data as an array; this opens a
                security vulnerability (see
                http://directwebremoting.org/blog/joe/2007/03/05/json_is_not_as_safe_as_\
                people_think_it_is.html for a good summary of the issue); instead,
                always enclose it in an object. So instead of your data looking like
                [{"key1": "value1"}, {"key2": "value2"}...], make it look like {"list":
                [{"key1": "value1"}, {"key2": "value2"}...]}.
                * You should also never use eval(), for reasons that have been explained
                extensively elsewhere, including several times by the brainfather of
                JSON himself, and in the very Wikipedia article you quoted from
                originally <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON#Security_issues>. Instead
                use JSON.parse, which is standard in all major browsers now.
                * If you want to get a JavaScript object from a JSON-encoded source
                while working from the browser, you will invariably use XHR (AJAX, if
                you must). The method you posted is exactly how you would do that, with
                the exception that you'd probably want to do it asynchronously and
                handle the data in a callback, rather than procedurally. Also, if you
                use a JavaScript framework, it will generally make your life much easier
                and your code much cleaner. A jQuery example:
                $.getJSON('http://www.mysite.no/services/product/list/', function(data)
                { $.each(data.list, function (index, listItem) { // Do something
                which each item in the list });});
                Note that this function takes care of (safely) decoding your
                JSON-encoded data so that you can handle it as a native JavaScript
                object. See http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.getJSON/ and
                http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.ajax/ for more details.
                * While there are exceptions to all of these, and things I have left
                out, this is a good starting place for best-practices, I think.