Re: [json] Re: A new java JSON API + Up to date benchmarks and test for most existing Json API.

    Message 1 of 18 , May 16, 2011
      On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM, uriel.chemouni
      <uriel.chemouni@...> wrote:
      > Hi  Tatu,
      >> - where is source?
      >
      > I can publish (I'm not shure) a working copy of the benching software, due to dépendances licence.
      > However I have just upload the full benchmark package in the SVN of json-smart:
      > http://json-smart.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/bench/

      Great, thanks!

      >> - why is JVM not warmed up -- by numbers it looks like numbers are
      >> dominated by JVM/HotSpot runup times
      > true, those bench include classPathLoading.
      > I should add a warmed up benchmark.

      Yes, this makes big difference. Usually relative short amount of time
      works ok (like 5 seconds per test).

      >> - why not use one of existing frameworks to get at least some
      >> semblance of due diligence wrt run times, variances and so on?
      >
      > TODO :)

      :)

      One other thing that may be problematic is that input is given as a
      String: while I understand that this is sometimes useful, more often
      input comes as a byte stream (over the network, from file), and so
      step of converting byte input to String should actually be measured as
      its efficiency varies a lot between implementations: some implement
      efficient conversions whereas others rely on slower default
      mechanisms.
      This is why most JSON benchmarks (or general purpose JVM tests like
      https://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers/wiki) hand a byte[] to
      deserializers.

      Good luck!

      -+ Tatu +-
    • Stephan Beal
      Message 2 of 18 , May 16, 2011

        > By default Json-smart only using strict Json data, I only use compact json
        > to fill my Mysql varchar(255) collumns.

        If you'll make the columns of type TEXT, the stored JSON can have any size.
        i use this in a wiki back-end which stores pages in JSON form.

        --
        ----- stephan beal
        http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

      • marsdenjw
        Message 3 of 18 , May 16, 2011
          Hello Uriel,

          I think benchmarking is a great way to compare the frameworks (and motivate lazy developers like myself who never finish anything). I run the JSONiJ failed tests on the latest release and I get one fail and another which is open for discussion.

          Unit test: http://pastebin.com/SjuzXxTb
          Output: http://pastebin.com/4GYbHwKq

          Specifically, it passes,

          1. Support Empty Object
          2. Support simple Object float value
          3. Support lowcase float value
          4. Array of empty Object

          Its questionable if I pass
          1. Bigint number support - I can see why this is an issue. I put it in that notation on purpose, but if its a key to something then it will break it.
          Input: { "v":123456789123456789123456789}
          Output: {"v":1.2345678912345679E26}

          I totally fail
          1. Double precision floating point

          I will see if I can get your harness up and running and see if I can see why. At the moment i am working so it will have to wait.

          John

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "marsdenjw" <j.w.marsden@...> wrote:

          > Wow, JSONiJ sucks.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > John (Developer, JSONiJ)
          >
          > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "uriel.chemouni" <uriel.chemouni@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > I have recently published my Json API.
          > >
          > > Features test:
          > > http://code.google.com/p/json-smart/wiki/FeaturesTests
          > >
          > > Benches test:
          > > http://code.google.com/p/json-smart/wiki/Benchmark
          > >
          > > Project home;
          > > http://code.google.com/p/json-smart
          > >
          > > Don't hesitate to send me your feedback.

        • uriel.chemouni
          Message 4 of 18 , May 17, 2011
            This table is more than 150 000 000 lines long, switching to text will dramatically impact performances, and disk usage.

            Message 5 of 18 , May 20, 2011
              Great, JSONiJ 0.2.3.9 can now validate all my tests.

              It deserves an update results in json-smart.

              Good job jhon.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 21, 2011
                No problem - as I said. I think its a good way to compare frameworks.

                I am working on making it a little bit quicker now. It was built to parse input streams directly and not strings. The String current string parse is fine for small strings, but when they get large like your tests its a bit silly.

                https://bitbucket.org/openecho/jsonij/src/653c6b5f85c8/src/main/java/jsonij/json/JSONParser.java#cl-90

                It pushes the string contents into a byte buffer and then reads the bytes. Its not too much work to make another version of the reader itself to work directly on the input string.

                John

                Message 7 of 18 , May 21, 2011
                  On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 3:47 AM, marsdenjw <j.w.marsden@...> wrote:
                  > No problem - as I said. I think its a good way to compare frameworks.

                  Are these tests also available with source code? Results for Jackson
                  looked odd; as if some assumptions were being made that are not true
                  (assuming round-tripping of white space, or specific style of escaping
                  characters)

                  > I am working on making it a little bit quicker now. It was built to parse input streams directly and not strings. The String current string parse is fine for small strings, but when they get large like your tests its a bit silly.

                  I think using String as input does not make much sense -- most
                  real-world use cases start with a byte sequence (reading from a file,
                  receiving or sending requests), and it is only question of who does
                  decoding/encoding necessary. When starting with a String (or Reader)
                  it is assumed that parser can not do this, which is true for some
                  parsers but not all. And since encoding/decoding between bytes and
                  characters is a major factor in performance, this skews results a lot.

                  -+ Tatu +-
                • marsdenjw
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 23, 2011
                    Hi Tatu,

                    If that question was addressed to me, then no, I dont have the source. I just made unit tests for each test I was said to fail and went from there (https://bitbucket.org/openecho/jsonij/src/a25fd28c1d77/src/test/java/jsonij/json/SJTest.java). Im not sure how fussy his code is about spaces and differences in valid results...

                    I agree totally with the byte sequence comment. Every time I use JSON I am parsing from a HTTP source or I am loading from a file.

                    Regards,

                    John

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 23, 2011
                      On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:49 AM, marsdenjw <j.w.marsden@...> wrote:
                      > Hi Tatu,
                      >
                      > If that question was addressed to me, then no, I dont have the source. I just made unit tests for each test I was said to fail and went from there (https://bitbucket.org/openecho/jsonij/src/a25fd28c1d77/src/test/java/jsonij/json/SJTest.java). Im not sure how fussy his code is about spaces and differences in valid results...

                      Sorry, it was question to author, and he did actually add a link to
                      wiki. So I was able to figure it out, and submit a patch for jackson
                      test. I hope authors of other JSON libs can do the same, so that
                      results reflect actual working of libs.

                      > I agree totally with the byte sequence comment. Every time I use JSON I am parsing from a HTTP source or I am loading from a file.

                      Yeah, that is my experience as well. Maybe this was based on using a
                      framework that does loading and decoding first, just passing JSON
                      contents. Occasionally this is true, when binding data from form
                      parameters or something. But not very often at least for me.

                      -+ Tatu +-
                    • uriel.chemouni
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 23, 2011
                        do not hesitate to submit paths to my benchmark code.
                        The new version display warmed-up JVM result, and display all results as percents.
                        The results are easier to read.

                        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@...> wrote:

                        > On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:49 AM, marsdenjw <j.w.marsden@...> wrote:
                        > > Hi Tatu,
                        > >
                        > > If that question was addressed to me, then no, I dont have the source. I just made unit tests for each test I was said to fail and went from there (https://bitbucket.org/openecho/jsonij/src/a25fd28c1d77/src/test/java/jsonij/json/SJTest.java). Im not sure how fussy his code is about spaces and differences in valid results...
                        >
                        > Sorry, it was question to author, and he did actually add a link to
                        > wiki. So I was able to figure it out, and submit a patch for jackson
                        > test. I hope authors of other JSON libs can do the same, so that
                        > results reflect actual working of libs.
                        >
                        > > I agree totally with the byte sequence comment. Every time I use JSON I am parsing from a HTTP source or I am loading from a file.
                        >
                        > Yeah, that is my experience as well. Maybe this was based on using a
                        > framework that does loading and decoding first, just passing JSON
                        > contents. Occasionally this is true, when binding data from form
                        > parameters or something. But not very often at least for me.
                        >
                        > -+ Tatu +-

                      • Mark Joseph
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 1, 2012
                          https://www.p6r.com/articles/2012/01/30/p6r-kmip-toolkit-introduction/