Re: Do numeric values need to be double quoted when returned in objects?

  • toddkingham
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
      Thanks.... that was fast :)

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, John Cowan <cowan@...> wrote:

      > toddkingham scripsit:
      > > Just as the subject suggests... Do you need to double quote numeric
      > > values to be valid JSON? JSONlint seems to validate the following
      > > string just fine: {"age":35}
      >
      > So it should: strings are quoted, numbers are not.
      >
      > > I believe the part in the spec that says all STRINGS must be double
      > > quoted doesn't apply to numeric values as they are not strings...yes?
      >
      > Right.
      >
      > --
      > John Cowan cowan@... http://ccil.org/~cowan
      > In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.
      > --Brian K. Reid

    • jonathan wallace
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
        {"age":35}

        {"age":"35"}

        Are both legal JSON, but very different objects.  In the first, age is the number 35, the second is a string with characters '3' and '5'.

        "People have always been impressed by the power of our example, not the example of our power." - William Jefferson Clinton

        Just as the subject suggests... Do you need to double quote numeric values to be valid JSON? JSONlint seems to validate the following string just fine: {"age":35}

        I believe the part in the spec that says all STRINGS must be double quoted doesn't apply to numeric values as they are not strings...yes?

        Thanks