Do numeric values need to be double quoted when returned in objects?

  • toddkingham
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
      Just as the subject suggests... Do you need to double quote numeric values to be valid JSON? JSONlint seems to validate the following string just fine: {"age":35}

      I believe the part in the spec that says all STRINGS must be double quoted doesn't apply to numeric values as they are not strings...yes?

      Thanks
    • John Cowan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
        toddkingham scripsit:
        > Just as the subject suggests... Do you need to double quote numeric
        > values to be valid JSON? JSONlint seems to validate the following
        > string just fine: {"age":35}

        So it should: strings are quoted, numbers are not.

        > I believe the part in the spec that says all STRINGS must be double
        > quoted doesn't apply to numeric values as they are not strings...yes?

        Right.

        --
        John Cowan cowan@... http://ccil.org/~cowan
        In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
          Thanks.... that was fast :)

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, John Cowan <cowan@...> wrote:

          > toddkingham scripsit:
          > > Just as the subject suggests... Do you need to double quote numeric
          > > values to be valid JSON? JSONlint seems to validate the following
          > > string just fine: {"age":35}
          >
          > So it should: strings are quoted, numbers are not.
          >
          > > I believe the part in the spec that says all STRINGS must be double
          > > quoted doesn't apply to numeric values as they are not strings...yes?
          >
          > Right.
          >
          > --
          > John Cowan cowan@... http://ccil.org/~cowan
          > In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.
          > --Brian K. Reid

        • jonathan wallace
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
            {"age":35}

            {"age":"35"}

            Are both legal JSON, but very different objects.  In the first, age is the number 35, the second is a string with characters '3' and '5'.

            "People have always been impressed by the power of our example, not the example of our power." - William Jefferson Clinton