Re[2]: [json] libjson 7.0 new features

  • Gregg Irwin
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
      TS> I have noticed that at least half of all JSON projects claim to be
      TS> faster than anyone else, so measurements could also clear up the
      TS> situation and keep everyone honest.

      A standard JSON benchmark perhaps?

      --Gregg
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
        On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Gregg Irwin <gregg.irwin@...> wrote:
        > TS> I have noticed that at least half of all JSON projects claim to be
        > TS> faster than anyone else, so measurements could also clear up the
        > TS> situation and keep everyone honest.
        >
        > A standard JSON benchmark perhaps?

        Yes, one would be very useful. I know there are couple for Java
        (general purpose ones that can also use JSON; and specific ones), but
        haven't seen many for other platforms, or comparing between platforms.

        -+ Tatu +-
      • jonathan wallace
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 7, 2011
          If there is a standard JSON benchmark that would be nice.

          I've only compared it to wxJSON, cJSON, and a few others.

          "People have always been impressed by the power of our example, not the example of our power." - William Jefferson Clinton

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 7, 2011
            On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:11 AM, jonathan wallace <ninja9578@...> wrote:
            > If there is a standard JSON benchmark that would be nice.
            >

            > I've only compared it to wxJSON, cJSON, and a few others.

            I suspect many users would like to see comparisons. Maybe blog about
            it or such (and include test code), or send a link if already
            published?

            I don't doubt at all that there are differences, given difference
            skill & experience levels of implementors (and the common "simplest
            must be fasters" fallacy wrt performance). It's just hard to find out
            real numbers when project home pages do not show measurements, just
            state results.

            -+ Tatu +-
          • Jonathan Wallace
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2011
              Well there is a benchmark included in the source, but it's mostly for my own purposes of comparing upgrade versions against the previous version. I think ill come up a set of common json tasks and implement them in a few libraries or ask the library maintained to do it to be sure it's done right.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 8, 2011
                On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Jonathan Wallace <ninja9578@...> wrote:
                > Well there is a benchmark included in the source, but it's mostly for my own purposes of comparing upgrade versions against the previous version.  I think ill come up a set of common json tasks and implement them in a few libraries or ask the library maintained to do it to be sure it's done right.

                That would be very useful! I know it might be bit of work, given
                differing APIs and all.. but then again, it should be beneficial for
                authors of other packages to work on being able to run similar tests.
                So it should be possible to get things bootstrapped. This is how
                "jvm-serializers" (https://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers) for Java
                serialization libraries started, and seems to work quite well.