libjson 7.0 new features

  • jonathan wallace
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
      Hello all,

      I just wanted to mention that a while ago I changed the name from libJSON to libjson, would you mind reflecting that on json.org?

      I added a ton of new stuff in this upgrade, most significantly, streaming ability. I got a bunch of requests for the ability to take a stream (like from the internet) and parse it as it comes in. Since it may be partial JSON, or multiple JSON objects at a time, the stream will check each time something gets added to it, and call a callback with the new node each time one is completed. This should make life a lot easier for those streaming JSON from websources.

      I also added the option to turn off all libjson extensions such as comments, hexidecimal support... so that only 100% compliant JSON is considered valid.

      I exposed an interface to use libjson's base64 encoder and decoder since a few people asked if they could use it.

      There is a new makefile with lots more options, including an install script. (Thanks to Bernhard Fluehmann)

      There were several other changes too, you can see them all in the changelog in the documentation if you wish.
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjson/

      Jon

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
        Interesting. One thing I noticed from the project page is that there
        are big claims on performance, but it seems to lack links to actual
        measurements? I was wondering if you can add links, so it is possible
        to see actual performance numbers, figure out relative importance of
        performance and so on
        I have noticed that at least half of all JSON projects claim to be
        faster than anyone else, so measurements could also clear up the
        situation and keep everyone honest.

        -+ Tatu +-

        On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:54 AM, jonathan wallace <ninja9578@...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I just wanted to mention that a while ago I changed the name from libJSON to libjson, would you mind reflecting that on json.org?
        >
        > I added a ton of new stuff in this upgrade, most significantly, streaming ability.  I got a bunch of requests for the ability to take a stream (like from the internet) and parse it as it comes in.  Since it may be partial JSON, or multiple JSON objects at a time, the stream will check each time something gets added to it, and call a callback with the new node each time one is completed.  This should make life a lot easier for those streaming JSON from websources.
        >
        > I also added the option to turn off all libjson extensions such as comments, hexidecimal support... so that only 100% compliant JSON is considered valid.
        >
        > I exposed an interface to use libjson's base64 encoder and decoder since a few people asked if they could use it.
        >
        > There is a new makefile with lots more options, including an install script.  (Thanks to Bernhard Fluehmann)
        >
        > There were several other changes too, you can see them all in the changelog in the documentation if you wish.
        > http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjson/
        >
        > Jon

      • David Graham
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
          If you'd prefer a really slow JSON parser, check out
          https://github.com/dgraham/json-stream. It's about 20x slower than the Ruby
          json gem, but it's quite handy if you need to parse a single huge JSON
          document in constant memory space.

          Enjoy!

          David

          On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@...>wrote:

          > Interesting. One thing I noticed from the project page is that there
          > are big claims on performance, but it seems to lack links to actual
          > measurements? I was wondering if you can add links, so it is possible
          > to see actual performance numbers, figure out relative importance of
          > performance and so on
          > I have noticed that at least half of all JSON projects claim to be
          > faster than anyone else, so measurements could also clear up the
          > situation and keep everyone honest.
          >
          > -+ Tatu +-
          >
          > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:54 AM, jonathan wallace <ninja9578@...<ninja9578%40yahoo.com>>
          > wrote:
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > I just wanted to mention that a while ago I changed the name from libJSON
          > to libjson, would you mind reflecting that on json.org?
          > >
          > > I added a ton of new stuff in this upgrade, most significantly, streaming
          > ability. I got a bunch of requests for the ability to take a stream (like
          > from the internet) and parse it as it comes in. Since it may be partial
          > JSON, or multiple JSON objects at a time, the stream will check each time
          > something gets added to it, and call a callback with the new node each time
          > one is completed. This should make life a lot easier for those streaming
          > JSON from websources.
          > >
          > > I also added the option to turn off all libjson extensions such as
          > comments, hexidecimal support... so that only 100% compliant JSON is
          > considered valid.
          > >
          > > I exposed an interface to use libjson's base64 encoder and decoder since
          > a few people asked if they could use it.
          > >
          > > There is a new makefile with lots more options, including an install
          > script. (Thanks to Bernhard Fluehmann)
          > >
          > > There were several other changes too, you can see them all in the
          > changelog in the documentation if you wish.
          > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjson/
          > >
          > > Jon

        • Gregg Irwin
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
            TS> I have noticed that at least half of all JSON projects claim to be
            TS> faster than anyone else, so measurements could also clear up the
            TS> situation and keep everyone honest.

            A standard JSON benchmark perhaps?

            --Gregg
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
              On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Gregg Irwin <gregg.irwin@...> wrote:
              > TS> I have noticed that at least half of all JSON projects claim to be
              > TS> faster than anyone else, so measurements could also clear up the
              > TS> situation and keep everyone honest.
              >
              > A standard JSON benchmark perhaps?

              Yes, one would be very useful. I know there are couple for Java
              (general purpose ones that can also use JSON; and specific ones), but
              haven't seen many for other platforms, or comparing between platforms.

              -+ Tatu +-
            • jonathan wallace
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 7, 2011
                If there is a standard JSON benchmark that would be nice.

                I've only compared it to wxJSON, cJSON, and a few others.

                "People have always been impressed by the power of our example, not the example of our power." - William Jefferson Clinton

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 7, 2011
                  On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:11 AM, jonathan wallace <ninja9578@...> wrote:
                  > If there is a standard JSON benchmark that would be nice.
                  >

                  > I've only compared it to wxJSON, cJSON, and a few others.

                  I suspect many users would like to see comparisons. Maybe blog about
                  it or such (and include test code), or send a link if already
                  published?

                  I don't doubt at all that there are differences, given difference
                  skill & experience levels of implementors (and the common "simplest
                  must be fasters" fallacy wrt performance). It's just hard to find out
                  real numbers when project home pages do not show measurements, just
                  state results.

                  -+ Tatu +-
                • Jonathan Wallace
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 8, 2011
                    Well there is a benchmark included in the source, but it's mostly for my own purposes of comparing upgrade versions against the previous version. I think ill come up a set of common json tasks and implement them in a few libraries or ask the library maintained to do it to be sure it's done right.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 8, 2011
                      On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Jonathan Wallace <ninja9578@...> wrote:
                      > Well there is a benchmark included in the source, but it's mostly for my own purposes of comparing upgrade versions against the previous version.  I think ill come up a set of common json tasks and implement them in a few libraries or ask the library maintained to do it to be sure it's done right.

                      That would be very useful! I know it might be bit of work, given
                      differing APIs and all.. but then again, it should be beneficial for
                      authors of other packages to work on being able to run similar tests.
                      So it should be possible to get things bootstrapped. This is how
                      "jvm-serializers" (https://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers) for Java
                      serialization libraries started, and seems to work quite well.