Re: [json] Java JSON

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2011
      On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Douglas Crockford
      <douglas@...> wrote:
      > The JSON.org page currently lists 21 packages for Java. Will the Java community ever converge on one as some other language communities are doing?

      Probably not to the degree that there'd be just one. From the list I
      think just maybe half a dozen are widely used for whatever that's
      worth.
      I think there is some actual convergence, especially in cases where
      new projects choose from existing libraries. In JAX-RS (Jersey,
      RESTeasy) space, for example, number of libraries that are supported
      out of box is quite low, and tends to follow similar trajectory (start
      with library that emulates xml processing, Jettison, or the reference
      implementation; move on to lib(s) that do full data binding like
      Jackson or json-lib).
      I think authors of frameworks have more time and interest in doing due
      diligence to figure out best components to use, which then limits
      candidates that offer best set of features and support. And over time
      users of frameworks seem to gravitate towards those libraries even
      when developing stand-alone system.

      One thing that irritates me is not so much number of alternatives but
      the fact that most new candidates make bold claims but seem to offer
      very little that is better or even different (in positive sense) from
      existing choices.

      -+ Tatu +-
    • Dennis Gearon
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 24, 2011
        If there was anything that bugs ME, is incomplete documentation and 'just read
        the code' type of libraries.

        Dennis Gearon

        ________________________________
        <douglas@...> wrote:
        > The JSON.org page currently lists 21 packages for Java. Will the Java community
        >ever converge on one as some other language communities are doing?

        Probably not to the degree that there'd be just one. From the list I
        think just maybe half a dozen are widely used for whatever that's
        worth.
        I think there is some actual convergence, especially in cases where
        new projects choose from existing libraries. In JAX-RS (Jersey,
        RESTeasy) space, for example, number of libraries that are supported
        out of box is quite low, and tends to follow similar trajectory (start
        with library that emulates xml processing, Jettison, or the reference
        implementation; move on to lib(s) that do full data binding like
        Jackson or json-lib).
        I think authors of frameworks have more time and interest in doing due
        diligence to figure out best components to use, which then limits
        candidates that offer best set of features and support. And over time
        users of frameworks seem to gravitate towards those libraries even
        when developing stand-alone system.

        One thing that irritates me is not so much number of alternatives but
        the fact that most new candidates make bold claims but seem to offer
        very little that is better or even different (in positive sense) from
        existing choices.

      • John Cowan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2011
          Dennis Gearon scripsit:

          > If there was anything that bugs ME, is incomplete documentation and 'just read
          > the code' type of libraries.

          +1000

          --
          One Word to write them all, John Cowan <cowan@...>
          One Access to find them, http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2011
            On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Dennis Gearon <gearond@...> wrote:
            > If there was anything that bugs ME, is incomplete documentation and 'just read
            > the code' type of libraries.

            True. That also contributes to feeling of "but how is this different".
            Maybe there are strengths, but if finding those requires reading
            sources, yeah, that's lots to ask.

            And it's also easier to accumulate documentation when projects grow;
            and having small number of leading libs helps the snowball effect.

            -+ Tatu +-
          • Dennis Gearon
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2011
              I'm working on documenting my own API (JSON, JSON-RPCish), and it's a lot of
              work. I just keep reminding myself how I'd like to read it.

              Dennis Gearon

              Signature Warning
              ----------------
              It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a better
              idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them yourself.
              from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'

              EARTH has a Right To Life,
              otherwise we all die.

              ________________________________
              > If there was anything that bugs ME, is incomplete documentation and 'just read
              > the code' type of libraries.

              True. That also contributes to feeling of "but how is this different".
              Maybe there are strengths, but if finding those requires reading
              sources, yeah, that's lots to ask.

              And it's also easier to accumulate documentation when projects grow;
              and having small number of leading libs helps the snowball effect.

            • codeWarrior
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 26, 2011

                > The JSON.org page currently lists 21 packages for Java. Will the Java community ever converge on one as some other language communities are doing?

                Hopefully not... software is software... there's always more than one way to skin the proverbial cat...

                "there can be only one" is reminiscent of MicroSloth... As a developer, I require options...