Re: Comments

    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 26, 2005
      These were the reasons for removing comments:

      First, comments turned out to not be very useful.

      Second, comments were the most difficult feature to support in JSON
      parsers. By removing comments, support for JSON in other languages
      became much easier.

      Third, removing comments aligns JSON more closely with YAML, allowing
      YAML to become a JSON superset. Generally, standards tend to splinter.
      It is interesting to see these two merging.

      Fourth, I saw examples of comments used to carry information, with an
      expectation that applications would have to have custom comment
      parsers and generators. That was not a pattern that I wanted to encourage.

      As I have said before, I don't anticipate any further changes to JSON.
      I think stability is now the most important feature.
    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring