Re: [json] Re: Comments

  • MPCM
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 25, 2005
      I had posted in the original thread talking about comments and wanted to
      follow up here as well.

      While meta data, like comments, might be useful, the only way to get
      comments either into or out out of json, in a realistic manager, is by hand
      generation or post-encoded editing (IIRC). In 'production' most json strings
      come from an existing data object and get turned into another data object on
      the other end, the process of which usually droped the comment anyway.

      Given this, the argument for including comments does seem a little odd. If
      you want meta data for debugging/documentation, then add a property to the
      object your sending. I still think the current decision was correct, but
      would like to see an example of a practical reason that json should include
      comments, besides the argument that it just should because it once did.

      --
      Matthew P. C. Morley

    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring