Re: [json] Digest Number 597

  • John Cowan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2010
      Alan Kennedy scripsit:

      > On reading your article, I saw reference to several existing methods
      > for mapping XML<->JSON. But I didn't see any reference to the Google
      > XML<->JSON mapping, as described in this article.
      >
      > Using JSON in the Google Data Protocol
      > http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/json.html

      Note that Google has announced a different, non-round-tripping,
      JSON syntax called JSONC for two of its Google Data APIs, YouTube and
      PicasaWeb. JSONC is not a general conversion strategy, but a per-API
      one that is designed to make the service more accessible to people who
      prefer consuming APIs with JSON. There is an experimental Java client
      which uses per-service descriptions to consume JSON appropriately.

      > Looking at the examples you give about mixed-content elements, I can
      > see that Google have punted on this issue, i.e. they represent
      >
      > <content type="text">Google is sponsoring at
      > visit us at the booth or join us for an evening demo reception where we
      > will be talking "5 ways to enhance your website with Google Code".
      > After all, it is Vegas, baby! See you soon.</content>

      In this case, the Atom content type is "text", which means that although
      this appears to be HTML, it is treated as plain text by the API.
      Any further interpretation is up to the client.

      > In this case, the inline <a/> element is left in XML format, and not
      > translated to JSON.

      That's because it's not seen as an element at all.

      Disclaimer: Although I work for Google (and in fact belong to the
      Google Data APIs team), I am not telling you anything that isn't public
      knowledge. Any forward-looking conclusions you draw are entirely up
      to you.

      --
      At the end of the Metatarsal Age, the dinosaurs John Cowan
      abruptly vanished. The theory that a single cowan@...