Re: [json] Digest Number 597

  • Alan Kennedy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6 5:05 AM
      [Mark]
      > For people interested in this topic.   We are always open to comments and questions.
      >
      > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/

      Hi Mark.

      Nice work.

      On reading your article, I saw reference to several existing methods
      for mapping XML<->JSON. But I didn't see any reference to the Google
      XML<->JSON mapping, as described in this article.

      Using JSON in the Google Data Protocol
      http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/json.html

      Looking at the examples you give about mixed-content elements, I can
      see that Google have punted on this issue, i.e. they represent

      <content type="text">Google is sponsoring at
      visit us at the booth or join us for an evening demo reception where we
      will be talking "5 ways to enhance your website with Google Code".
      After all, it is Vegas, baby! See you soon.</content>

      as

      "content": {
      "type": "text",
      "$t": "Google is sponsoring at
      \nCome and visit us at the booth or join us for an evening demo
      reception where we will be talking "5 ways to enhance your website
      with Google Code".\nAfter all,\nit is Vegas, baby! See you soon."
      },

      In this case, the inline <a/> element is left in XML format, and not
      translated to JSON.

      Do you have any comments on the Google mapping?

      Regards,

      Alan.
    • Mark Joseph
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6 8:58 AM
        Thanks Alan,

        I believe I do reference that mapping but in a different URL, namely:

        http://onwebdevelopment.blogspot.com/2008/05/converting-xml-to-json.html

        it is in section 3.2 the second link of my document. I have commented on it in that section.

        Thanks,

        Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
        President
        P6R, Inc
        408-205-0361
        mark@...
        Skype: markjoseph_sc
        _____

        > For people interested in this topic. We are always open to comments and questions.
        >
        > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/

        Hi Mark.

        Nice work.

        On reading your article, I saw reference to several existing methods
        for mapping XML<->JSON. But I didn't see any reference to the Google
        XML<->JSON mapping, as described in this article.

        Using JSON in the Google Data Protocol
        http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/json.html

        Looking at the examples you give about mixed-content elements, I can
        see that Google have punted on this issue, i.e. they represent

        <content type="text">Google is sponsoring at
        visit us at the booth or join us for an evening demo reception where we
        will be talking "5 ways to enhance your website with Google Code".
        After all, it is Vegas, baby! See you soon.</content>

        as

        "content": {
        "type": "text",
        "$t": "Google is sponsoring at
        \nCome and visit us at the booth or join us for an evening demo
        reception where we will be talking "5 ways to enhance your website
        with Google Code".\nAfter all,\nit is Vegas, baby! See you soon."
        },

        In this case, the inline <a/> element is left in XML format, and not
        translated to JSON.

        Do you have any comments on the Google mapping?

        Regards,

        Alan.

      • John Cowan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6 11:14 AM
          Alan Kennedy scripsit:

          > On reading your article, I saw reference to several existing methods
          > for mapping XML<->JSON. But I didn't see any reference to the Google
          > XML<->JSON mapping, as described in this article.
          >
          > Using JSON in the Google Data Protocol
          > http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/json.html

          Note that Google has announced a different, non-round-tripping,
          JSON syntax called JSONC for two of its Google Data APIs, YouTube and
          PicasaWeb. JSONC is not a general conversion strategy, but a per-API
          one that is designed to make the service more accessible to people who
          prefer consuming APIs with JSON. There is an experimental Java client
          which uses per-service descriptions to consume JSON appropriately.

          > Looking at the examples you give about mixed-content elements, I can
          > see that Google have punted on this issue, i.e. they represent
          >
          > <content type="text">Google is sponsoring at
          > visit us at the booth or join us for an evening demo reception where we
          > will be talking "5 ways to enhance your website with Google Code".
          > After all, it is Vegas, baby! See you soon.</content>

          In this case, the Atom content type is "text", which means that although
          this appears to be HTML, it is treated as plain text by the API.
          Any further interpretation is up to the client.

          > In this case, the inline <a/> element is left in XML format, and not
          > translated to JSON.

          That's because it's not seen as an element at all.

          Disclaimer: Although I work for Google (and in fact belong to the
          Google Data APIs team), I am not telling you anything that isn't public
          knowledge. Any forward-looking conclusions you draw are entirely up
          to you.

          --
          At the end of the Metatarsal Age, the dinosaurs John Cowan
          abruptly vanished. The theory that a single cowan@...