RSON 0.06 released

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2010
      I am pleased to announce the release of RSON 0.06.

      The goal of the RSON project is to create a file format that is easy to edit, diff, and version control, that is a superset of JSON and smaller than YAML.

      I consider this release to be feature complete on the file format, and I believe the pure Python 2.x decoder (parser) to be production worthy (for users who do not need the speed of a C based decoder).

      The project is at:

      http://rson.googlecode.com/

      The manual with syntax examples is at:

      http://rson.googlecode.com/files/rson_0_06_manual.pdf

      Discussions at:

      http://groups.google.com/group/rson-discuss
    • Michael Schøler
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2010
        Hi Patrick,

        Is the ordering of the data elements irrelevant in RSON to JSON, or is the
        manual in error? For example, business logic could (in some cases) depend on
        the sequence/ordering of two data elements.

        This may be a bit on the edge but consider for example:

        Action:

        Allocate: ScreenBuffer

        Draw: [10, 3, 203, 6]

        Deallocate: ScreenBuffer

        Or maybe more to the point:

        Transaction:

        Ensure: 1000.0

        Withdraw: 1000.0

        In your examples in the manual, the ordering of the resulting JSON is not
        compliant with the ordering of the RSON data, e.g.:

        George: …

        Sam: …

        Morrie: …

        becomes:

        {

        “Morrie”: …

        “George”: …

        “Sam” …

        }

        Best regards,

        Michael Schøler

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2010
          On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Michael Schøler <michael@...> wrote:
          > Hi Patrick,
          >

          > Is the ordering of the data elements irrelevant in RSON to JSON, or is the
          > manual in error? For example, business logic could (in some cases) depend on
          > the sequence/ordering of two data elements.
          >

          > This may be a bit on the edge but consider for example:
          >

          > Action:
          >
          >                             Allocate: ScreenBuffer
          >
          >                             Draw: [10, 3, 203, 6]
          >
          >                             Deallocate: ScreenBuffer
          >

          > Or maybe more to the point:
          >

          > Transaction:
          >
          >                             Ensure: 1000.0
          >
          >                             Withdraw: 1000.0
          >

          > In your examples in the manual, the ordering of the resulting JSON is not
          > compliant with the ordering of the RSON data, e.g.:
          >

          > George: …
          >
          > Sam: …
          >
          > Morrie: …
          >

          > becomes:
          >

          > {
          >
          >  “Morrie”: …
          >
          >  “George”: …
          >
          >  “Sam” …
          >
          > }

          First of all, for sequences (JSON arrays; Python lists), the order is
          preserved. For hashes (JSON objects), by default Python dicts are
          used, which does not preserve the order. As with the Python json or
          simplejson decoders (which also use dicts by default and thus also do
          not preserve order), you can specify a function that receives the
          ordered pairs of key/values (or if you wish to use the enhanced syntax
          which allows nested keys, you can specify a function that receives
          tuples of (key, [key, ...] value])).

          So, by default, the order of key/value pairs in objects is not
          preserved. (Is it in JavaScript?) But you can override that default
          behavior if you wish to do so.

          Best regards,
          Pat
        • Michael Schøler
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2010
            > First of all, for sequences (JSON arrays; Python lists), the order is
            > preserved. For hashes (JSON objects), by default Python dicts are
            > used, which does not preserve the order. As with the Python json or
            > simplejson decoders (which also use dicts by default and thus also do
            > not preserve order), you can specify a function that receives the
            > ordered pairs of key/values (or if you wish to use the enhanced syntax
            > which allows nested keys, you can specify a function that receives
            > tuples of (key, [key, ...] value])).
            >
            > So, by default, the order of key/value pairs in objects is not
            > preserved. (Is it in JavaScript?) But you can override that default
            > behavior if you wish to do so.
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Pat

            Hi,

            Fair enough. No it isn't in JavaScript regarding object properties (or JSON
            for that matter). Only with regards to serialization and de-serialization
            (and obviously for Array's). When you need it for some purpose on objects
            the trick is usually therefore to make an array and keep the
            ordinality/indexing info there for each desired ordered object property.

            However, you might just comment on this fact in your RSON manual (however
            clear and apparent it may be for some devs) ;-)

            Many are confused about this specific topic - and I catch it out of the
            corner of my eye nearly every time I come across it, because I have made a
            great deal of JSON to XML and back again - and in XML documents, ordinality
            matters (XPATH can use element indexes).

            Best regards,
            Michael Schøler