Re: [json] Question about Arrays in JSON

  • John Cowan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2010
      sean_snider scripsit:

      > When creating a JSON structure, is there a standard way that
      > is used to determine that some member should be an Array vs Not?

      I don't know that there is. My take on it is: if something *can*
      appear multiple times, it should always be an array. If it cannot,
      it should never be an array.

      For example, a message might have a sender and one or more recipients.
      Since the sender is unique, it should not be an array. The recipients
      should always be an array, even if there is just one recipient (and even
      if that is the typical case).

      Sticking to this rule makes uniform access easy: a client can always
      iterate over the array rather than having to have a special case in the
      code for a non-array. The cost is only 2 characters on the wire.

      --
      John Cowan <cowan@...> http://ccil.org/~cowan
      Micropayment advocates mistakenly believe that efficient allocation of