IETF JSON Working Group?

  • Kris Zyp
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2010
      I just was curious if there was any interest in IETF JSON working group.
      As I understand it, without a JSON working group any JSON-based
      specification that goes through the IETF must be published in the
      "Informational" category, and is not eligible for "Standards" category.
      This not only includes the JSON schema specification that I submitted as
      an Internet Draft, but it also includes *the* JSON specification itself,
      RFC 4627. I don't mind having JSON schema stay at informational level,
      but I was curious if others felt like there would ever be value in
      having an IETF JSON working group for more formal standardization of
      future JSON-based formats and other specifications.
      Thanks,
      Kris
    • Mark Joseph
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2010
        If you go the IETF route then the meaning of JSON can change by committee. The group can decide what JSON really is. I have worked in a few of these and did not get the best result.

        I would suggest that the informational RFC is the best approach if you want to maintain control.

        Its the market place that really decides what is a standard and not the IETF committees.

        Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
        President
        P6R, Inc
        408-205-0361