Java with JSON

  • Fredag_d13
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2009
      Hi JSON fans

      I'm currently creating a project where I need a JSON parser in Java. There's no lack of Java JSON-parsers at json.org, in fact there's 18 different implementations available. Rather than browse through the entire source-code of these projects, I ask you to recommend an implementation that suit my needs.

      My needs are the following:
      - open source (not GPL)
      - complete (no subset of JSON)
      - correctness in parsing (well-tested)
      - few files (less than 50 - it's not brain surgery)

      I would prefer that:
      - It's easy to navigate in the resulting AST. E.g. obj.get('a.b[2]')
      - It's Java 1.4.2 compatible (but I can edit the source if it's Java 5+)

      Dont cares about:
      - Speed
      - Encoding capabilities

      I hope you will tell me about pros and cons in your favourite JSON (Java) API.

      /Jonas

      BTW: I would be great if there was some sort of a comparison sheet available on json.org or here.
    • Arthur Blake
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2010
        I would recommend the one written by the master himself...

        http://www.json.org/java/index.html

        <http://www.json.org/java/index.html>It's not perfect-- but more than
        adequate and satisfies all your requirements.

        On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Fredag_d13 <jonas@...> wrote:

        > Hi JSON fans
        >
        > I'm currently creating a project where I need a JSON parser in Java.
        > There's no lack of Java JSON-parsers at json.org, in fact there's 18
        > different implementations available. Rather than browse through the entire
        > source-code of these projects, I ask you to recommend an implementation that
        > suit my needs.
        >
        > My needs are the following:
        > - open source (not GPL)
        > - complete (no subset of JSON)
        > - correctness in parsing (well-tested)
        > - few files (less than 50 - it's not brain surgery)
        >
        > I would prefer that:
        > - It's easy to navigate in the resulting AST. E.g. obj.get('a.b[2]')
        > - It's Java 1.4.2 compatible (but I can edit the source if it's Java 5+)
        >
        > Dont cares about:
        > - Speed
        > - Encoding capabilities
        >
        > I hope you will tell me about pros and cons in your favourite JSON (Java)
        > API.
        >
        > /Jonas
        >
        > BTW: I would be great if there was some sort of a comparison sheet
        > available on json.org or here.

      • Jonas Krogsbøll
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2010
          Thank you for your response.

          That might be my choice. All though navigation cannot be done with path
          arguments, I can implement that myself.

          On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Arthur Blake <arthur.blake@...>wrote:

          > I would recommend the one written by the master himself...
          >
          > http://www.json.org/java/index.html
          >
          > <http://www.json.org/java/index.html>It's not perfect-- but more than
          > adequate and satisfies all your requirements.
          >
          > On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Fredag_d13 <jonas@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Hi JSON fans
          > >
          > > I'm currently creating a project where I need a JSON parser in Java.
          > > There's no lack of Java JSON-parsers at json.org, in fact there's 18
          > > different implementations available. Rather than browse through the
          > entire
          > > source-code of these projects, I ask you to recommend an implementation
          > that
          > > suit my needs.
          > >
          > > My needs are the following:
          > > - open source (not GPL)
          > > - complete (no subset of JSON)
          > > - correctness in parsing (well-tested)
          > > - few files (less than 50 - it's not brain surgery)
          > >
          > > I would prefer that:
          > > - It's easy to navigate in the resulting AST. E.g. obj.get('a.b[2]')
          > > - It's Java 1.4.2 compatible (but I can edit the source if it's Java 5+)
          > >
          > > Dont cares about:
          > > - Speed
          > > - Encoding capabilities
          > >
          > > I hope you will tell me about pros and cons in your favourite JSON (Java)
          > > API.
          > >
          > > /Jonas
          > >
          > > BTW: I would be great if there was some sort of a comparison sheet
          > > available on json.org or here.

          Jonas Krogsbøll
          Tlf: 28 84 10 26

        • Jonas Krogsbøll
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2010
            Having looked at some implementations - Jackson (
            http://jackson.codehaus.org/) would suit my needs much better.
            Also FlexJSON looks interesting - will have to do some testing to see which
            one I prefer.

            --
            Jonas Krogsbøll
            Tlf: 28 84 10 26