Re: IMPORTANT: Remove this line from json2.js before deployment.

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi@...> wrote:

      > Douglas, I think this move was brilliant, but as I have twitted, I
      > wonder how many devs wrote a:
      >
      > window.alert = function(){};
      >
      > before including external resources, rather than get the real/original
      > message

      The point I was making was that if you care about reliability, security, and performance, then you shouldn't load scripts directly from third party servers. Are you suggesting that it is ok if you stub out alert first?
    • Philip Tellis
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
        2009/12/14 Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>

        > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Douglas, I think this move was brilliant, but as I have twitted, I
        > > wonder how many devs wrote a:
        > >
        > > window.alert = function(){};
        > >
        > > before including external resources, rather than get the real/original
        > > message
        >
        > The point I was making was that if you care about reliability, security, and performance, then you shouldn't load scripts directly from third party servers. Are you suggesting that it is ok if you stub out alert first?

        I think he's suggesting that the people who need to get the point may
        not actually get it - they'll just work around it with no idea why you
        put it in there.
      • Andrea Giammarchi
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
          If you go in YUI 3 Configurator the Result page provides a script to copy
          and paste to include remotely the library.
          http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/3/configurator/

          If you go in Google Ajax libraries you will find external URIs to use third
          part hosts as trusted safe and secure host with updated libraries.
          http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/documentation/#AjaxLibraries

          If you are using dojo library you probably know about AOL:
          http://dev.aol.com/dojo

          What am I saying is that we are not everybody under https and we trust, for
          whatever reason, some external domain.
          Not everybody could have followed the "alert story", I can already imagine
          developers called 6am in the morning about an alert in the website that does
          not use alerts at all.
          These devs could have quickly solved the problem nullifying the alert
          without caring about why the alert was there and, in the worst case
          scenario, blaming you to have forgot an alert inside your library and
          feeling cool to have solved an unexpected alert problem forever (so try with
          prompt or confirm ...)

          Since the message as is could sound more like you were testing something and
          you forgot an alert, I would rather change the alert message with a link
          that points WHY there is an alert.

          I totally agree with you and it could often be about developers laziness (in
          YUI case they did not use the php loader, etc etc) but at the same time:

          1 - every website could benefit about common external resources thanks to
          distributed cache for common libaries
          2 - this message is not perfectly clear since somebody, YUI! itself, is
          suggesting external resources while you, a Yahoo! engineer, are saying that
          this is so bad that anybody should avoid this technique

          Do you see what I mean?

          Regards

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
            Just to underline another thing:

            On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>wrote:

            > The point I was making was that if you care about reliability, security,
            > and performance

            reliability ... they are including the de facto official JSON library for
            JavaScript
            security ... they trust your implementation and they trust the fact you keep
            updating it
            performances ... they are using a potentially "common used external
            resource" so if the browser cached already that version performances will be
            better for every website that includes it plus they are saving bandwidth.

            As you can see somebody could think that your points ARE the reason they
            included JSON via the direct source, rather than their local copy
            potentially non updated and served even if almost every browser has stored
            somewhere exactly the same library.

            So, finally, I would think about a proper specific server or an official
            repository Github style so that people than use the raw minified and gzipped
            version with the 304 response, but if you think nobody should ever include
            external scripts, you should tell us why we all have YUI configurator
            scripts, google adsense/analytic files, etc etc.

            Regards

          • Leen Besselink
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 14, 2009
              On 12/13/2009 09:34 PM, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:

              > Just to underline another thing:
              >
              > On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Douglas Crockford
              > <douglas@... <mailto:douglas%40crockford.com>>wrote:
              >

              > > The point I was making was that if you care about reliability, security,
              > > and performance
              > >

              > reliability ... they are including the de facto official JSON library for
              > JavaScript
              > security ... they trust your implementation and they trust the fact
              > you keep
              > updating it
              > performances ... they are using a potentially "common used external
              > resource" so if the browser cached already that version performances
              > will be
              > better for every website that includes it plus they are saving bandwidth.
              >
              > As you can see somebody could think that your points ARE the reason they
              > included JSON via the direct source, rather than their local copy
              > potentially non updated and served even if almost every browser has stored
              > somewhere exactly the same library.

              Hi Andrea,

              I think you are forgetting that the (current) json.org website is
              probably just a shared-hosting
              account.

              So that probably means it's not as reliable as something Google or Yahoo
              might do for some of the js-libraries.

              Performance-wise it would be really bad if everyone started hotlinking
              to just that one (or maybe 2 or 3) server(s) as well.

              Security-wise, something like the CDN-like setup Google and Yahoo are
              doing have a lot of save-gaurds,
              like monitoring tools and employees for file-changes. Seperate dedicated
              datacenters or atleast 'cages' of
              dedicated 19"-racks of servers. And not to forget procedures.

              While I do think getting automatic updates of json[2].js would be really
              interresting, because it's a very
              security-sensitive library.

              So in the current situation, it's a really bad idea.

              > So, finally, I would think about a proper specific server or an official
              > repository Github style so that people than use the raw minified and
              > gzipped
              > version with the 304 response, but if you think nobody should ever include
              > external scripts, you should tell us why we all have YUI configurator
              > scripts, google adsense/analytic files, etc etc.

              Yes, I think some people would love to see Yahoo add json[2].js to their
              list of js-libraries
              they are already hosting on their own CDN (I think Google has a whole
              list of libraries).

              But maybe Mr. Crockford does not want his personal project to be tied to
              his (current)
              employer or Google. I don't know their, could be many reasons.