Re: IMPORTANT: Remove this line from json2.js before deployment.

  • brianmario
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 9, 2009
      Any interest in moving your code to an account on Github? Might also help with people's desire for versioned-versions of your various code currently hosted directly on json.org. You could simply link to the project itself, or even the raw file.
      You could even go so far as to use embedded Gists (with syntax highlighting and all) for your code samples.
      Anyway, just a thought.

      -Brian Lopez (author of yajl-ruby)

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 12, 2009
      • Andrea Giammarchi
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
          Douglas, I think this move was brilliant, but as I have twitted, I wonder
          how many devs wrote a:

          window.alert = function(){};

          before including external resources, rather than get the real/original
          message (also because alert is something only RyanAir and few others could
          still use "in 2010")

          In any case, specially for a problematic subject as JSON evaluation is, I
          guess you should be proud about the fact that many people simply trust your
          implementation.
          Moreover, as somebody already said, I think it's more about having an
          automatically updated version, rather than grab your server bandwidth.

          I think your JSON implementation should be hosted with a "Donate" button in
          some place able to use pre-gzipped/deflated/plain version via ETag, 304, and
          every possible technique able to make it safer and usable everywhere, with
          clear benefits provided by common browsers cache.

          Best Regards

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi@...> wrote:

            > Douglas, I think this move was brilliant, but as I have twitted, I
            > wonder how many devs wrote a:
            >
            > window.alert = function(){};
            >
            > before including external resources, rather than get the real/original
            > message

            The point I was making was that if you care about reliability, security, and performance, then you shouldn't load scripts directly from third party servers. Are you suggesting that it is ok if you stub out alert first?
          • Philip Tellis
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
              2009/12/14 Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>

              > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Douglas, I think this move was brilliant, but as I have twitted, I
              > > wonder how many devs wrote a:
              > >
              > > window.alert = function(){};
              > >
              > > before including external resources, rather than get the real/original
              > > message
              >
              > The point I was making was that if you care about reliability, security, and performance, then you shouldn't load scripts directly from third party servers. Are you suggesting that it is ok if you stub out alert first?

              I think he's suggesting that the people who need to get the point may
              not actually get it - they'll just work around it with no idea why you
              put it in there.
            • Andrea Giammarchi
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
                If you go in YUI 3 Configurator the Result page provides a script to copy
                and paste to include remotely the library.
                http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/3/configurator/

                If you go in Google Ajax libraries you will find external URIs to use third
                part hosts as trusted safe and secure host with updated libraries.
                http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/documentation/#AjaxLibraries

                If you are using dojo library you probably know about AOL:
                http://dev.aol.com/dojo

                What am I saying is that we are not everybody under https and we trust, for
                whatever reason, some external domain.
                Not everybody could have followed the "alert story", I can already imagine
                developers called 6am in the morning about an alert in the website that does
                not use alerts at all.
                These devs could have quickly solved the problem nullifying the alert
                without caring about why the alert was there and, in the worst case
                scenario, blaming you to have forgot an alert inside your library and
                feeling cool to have solved an unexpected alert problem forever (so try with
                prompt or confirm ...)

                Since the message as is could sound more like you were testing something and
                you forgot an alert, I would rather change the alert message with a link
                that points WHY there is an alert.

                I totally agree with you and it could often be about developers laziness (in
                YUI case they did not use the php loader, etc etc) but at the same time:

                1 - every website could benefit about common external resources thanks to
                distributed cache for common libaries
                2 - this message is not perfectly clear since somebody, YUI! itself, is
                suggesting external resources while you, a Yahoo! engineer, are saying that
                this is so bad that anybody should avoid this technique

                Do you see what I mean?

                Regards

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
                  Just to underline another thing:

                  On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>wrote:

                  > The point I was making was that if you care about reliability, security,
                  > and performance

                  reliability ... they are including the de facto official JSON library for
                  JavaScript
                  security ... they trust your implementation and they trust the fact you keep
                  updating it
                  performances ... they are using a potentially "common used external
                  resource" so if the browser cached already that version performances will be
                  better for every website that includes it plus they are saving bandwidth.

                  As you can see somebody could think that your points ARE the reason they
                  included JSON via the direct source, rather than their local copy
                  potentially non updated and served even if almost every browser has stored
                  somewhere exactly the same library.

                  So, finally, I would think about a proper specific server or an official
                  repository Github style so that people than use the raw minified and gzipped
                  version with the 304 response, but if you think nobody should ever include
                  external scripts, you should tell us why we all have YUI configurator
                  scripts, google adsense/analytic files, etc etc.

                  Regards

                • Leen Besselink
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 14, 2009
                    On 12/13/2009 09:34 PM, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:

                    > Just to underline another thing:
                    >
                    > On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Douglas Crockford
                    > <douglas@... <mailto:douglas%40crockford.com>>wrote:
                    >

                    > > The point I was making was that if you care about reliability, security,
                    > > and performance
                    > >

                    > reliability ... they are including the de facto official JSON library for
                    > JavaScript
                    > security ... they trust your implementation and they trust the fact
                    > you keep
                    > updating it
                    > performances ... they are using a potentially "common used external
                    > resource" so if the browser cached already that version performances
                    > will be
                    > better for every website that includes it plus they are saving bandwidth.
                    >
                    > As you can see somebody could think that your points ARE the reason they
                    > included JSON via the direct source, rather than their local copy
                    > potentially non updated and served even if almost every browser has stored
                    > somewhere exactly the same library.

                    Hi Andrea,

                    I think you are forgetting that the (current) json.org website is
                    probably just a shared-hosting
                    account.

                    So that probably means it's not as reliable as something Google or Yahoo
                    might do for some of the js-libraries.

                    Performance-wise it would be really bad if everyone started hotlinking
                    to just that one (or maybe 2 or 3) server(s) as well.

                    Security-wise, something like the CDN-like setup Google and Yahoo are
                    doing have a lot of save-gaurds,
                    like monitoring tools and employees for file-changes. Seperate dedicated
                    datacenters or atleast 'cages' of
                    dedicated 19"-racks of servers. And not to forget procedures.

                    While I do think getting automatic updates of json[2].js would be really
                    interresting, because it's a very
                    security-sensitive library.

                    So in the current situation, it's a really bad idea.

                    > So, finally, I would think about a proper specific server or an official
                    > repository Github style so that people than use the raw minified and
                    > gzipped
                    > version with the 304 response, but if you think nobody should ever include
                    > external scripts, you should tell us why we all have YUI configurator
                    > scripts, google adsense/analytic files, etc etc.

                    Yes, I think some people would love to see Yahoo add json[2].js to their
                    list of js-libraries
                    they are already hosting on their own CDN (I think Google has a whole
                    list of libraries).

                    But maybe Mr. Crockford does not want his personal project to be tied to
                    his (current)
                    employer or Google. I don't know their, could be many reasons.