Re: SV: [json] JSON representation for XML snippet

  • stephen.mckamey
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 17 8:20 AM
      The encoding used by JsonML <http://jsonml.org> isn't prioritized to be "pretty" or even really encoded by humans. It is intended to be compact and loss-less. This means it can unambiguously encode and decode valid XML. Namespaces are handled the same way as XML 1.0: as part of the element (or attribute) name.

      Off-topic: Where JsonML really fills a void is its ability to be extended to be a full intermediate language for client-side templates. Templates are written by humans in an ASP/JSP style syntax and then compiled to JsonML+Browser-Side Templates (JBST) <http://bit.ly/2poc6d>. No parsing has to take place in the browser, and the site markup may be fully compacted and cached with the rest of the scripts as it is now pure JavaScript.

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

      > Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
      > **************************************
      > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
      > will be
      > {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}
      >
      > as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema
      >
      > ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]
      >
      > so that this:
      >
      > <attributes>
      > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
      > </attributes>
      >
      > will be this
      >
      > ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]
      >
      > So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
      > But with something like:
      >
      > <node1 a="45">
      > <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
      > <node3 d="abc">
      > <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
      > </node3>
      > </node2>
      > Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party
      >
      > <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
      > </node1>
      >
      > The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
      > are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
      > added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
      > not sure I want.
      >

      > Best,
      > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
      > P6R, Inc
    • Mark Joseph
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 5, 2010
        For people interested in this topic. We are always open to comments and questions.

        https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/

        Best,

        Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
        President
        P6R, Inc
        408-205-0361
        mark@...
        Skype: markjoseph_sc

      • Dennis Gearon
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 5, 2010
          I'm not really interested in this at the moment.

          BUT, very nice technical work! If I do need it in the future, it's nice to see good quality ideas and implentation that I can look for and utilize.

          Keep up the good work.

          Dennis Gearon

          Signature Warning

          ----------------

          EARTH has a Right To Life,

          otherwise we all die.

          Read 'Hot, Flat, and Crowded'

          Laugh at http://www.yert.com/film.php

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 6, 2010
            JsonML ( http://jsonml.org ) handles all of these issues and has been embraced by quite a number of places. Many JSON encoders already include support.

            It handles namespaces the same way that XML 1.0 did: include the name as "prefix:local-name" and the URI to prefix mapping (xmlns:abc="http://example.com/abc") as the attribute of the node that declared it.

            An early implementation of JsonML took a similar approach to including a child object, but ultimately after some design discussions with Douglas Crockford, his suggestion was to make the actual element an array like the child object and have the element name be the first item.

            This positional structure has been the biggest part that people have disliked about JsonML, but yet in many XML documents (XHTML for example, being the primary use case) position of the child nodes is critical to the meaning of the document. So you get much smaller documents when you just add the element name as the first child and make elements arrays.

            I'd encourage you to embrace JsonML and contribute to a standard that has been around for four years already rather than creating a slightly different approach.

            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

            > For people interested in this topic. We are always open to comments and questions.
            >
            > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/
            >

            > Best,
            >
            > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
            > President
            > P6R, Inc
            > 408-205-0361
            > mark@...
            > Skype: markjoseph_sc

          • stephen.mckamey
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 6, 2010
              Not that ugly:

              ["node1", {"a":"45"},
              ["node2", {"b":"9", "c":"hithere"},
              ["node3", {"d":"abc"},
              ["node4", {"e":"12345"}, "JSON has no attributes"]
              ]
              ],
              "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party",

              ["node5", {"d":"45"}, "temperature is 70 degrees today"]
              ]

              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

              > Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
              > **************************************
              > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
              > will be
              > {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}
              >
              > as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema
              >
              > ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]
              >
              > so that this:
              >
              > <attributes>
              > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
              > </attributes>
              >
              > will be this
              >
              > ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]
              >
              > So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
              > But with something like:
              >
              > <node1 a="45">
              > <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
              > <node3 d="abc">
              > <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
              > </node3>
              > </node2>
              > Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party
              >
              > <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
              > </node1>
              >
              > The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
              > are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
              > added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
              > not sure I want.
              >

              > Best,
              > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
              > P6R, Inc

            • Mark Joseph
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 6, 2010
                Cool stuff, can you show me an example of how JsonML handles XML mixed content, that is not clear to me from the web site.

                And just so it is clear to me, the namespace example would be something like:

                <description abc="http://example.com"><abc:title>hi there</abc:title></description>

                becomes

                [ "description", {"abc" : "http://example.com"},
                [ "abc:title", {}, "hi there" ]
                ]

                So the JSON application has to find the meaning of "abc:title", if it cares, like XML applications do by looking for the first enclosing element with
                a definition for "abc"?

                Thanks,

                Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                President
                P6R, Inc
                408-205-0361
                mark@...
                Skype: markjoseph_sc
                _____

                It handles namespaces the same way that XML 1.0 did: include the name as "prefix:local-name" and the URI to prefix mapping (xmlns:abc="http://example.com/abc") as the attribute of the node that declared it.

                An early implementation of JsonML took a similar approach to including a child object, but ultimately after some design discussions with Douglas Crockford, his suggestion was to make the actual element an array like the child object and have the element name be the first item.

                This positional structure has been the biggest part that people have disliked about JsonML, but yet in many XML documents (XHTML for example, being the primary use case) position of the child nodes is critical to the meaning of the document. So you get much smaller documents when you just add the element name as the first child and make elements arrays.

                I'd encourage you to embrace JsonML and contribute to a standard that has been around for four years already rather than creating a slightly different approach.

                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                > For people interested in this topic. We are always open to comments and questions.
                >
                > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/
                >

                > Best,
                >
                > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                > President
                > P6R, Inc
                > 408-205-0361
                > mark@...
                > Skype: markjoseph_sc

              • Mark Joseph
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 6, 2010
                  Ok I think I see how mixed content works in JsonML:

                  becomes

                  [ "description", {"lang":"en-us"},
                  " hi there ",
                  [ "bold", "joe" ],
                  " how are you "
                  ]

                  Is that right?

                  Best,

                  Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                  President
                  P6R, Inc
                  408-205-0361
                  mark@...
                  Skype: markjoseph_sc
                  _____

                  ["node4", {"e":"12345"}, "JSON has no attributes"]
                  ]
                  ],
                  "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party",

                  ["node5", {"d":"45"}, "temperature is 70 degrees today"]
                  ]

                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                  > Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
                  > **************************************
                  > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                  > will be
                  > {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}
                  >
                  > as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema
                  >
                  > ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]
                  >
                  > so that this:
                  >
                  > <attributes>
                  > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                  > </attributes>
                  >
                  > will be this
                  >
                  > ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]
                  >
                  > So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
                  > But with something like:
                  >
                  > <node1 a="45">
                  > <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
                  > <node3 d="abc">
                  > <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
                  > </node3>
                  > </node2>
                  > Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party
                  >
                  > <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
                  > </node1>
                  >
                  > The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
                  > are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
                  > added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
                  > not sure I want.
                  >

                  > Best,
                  > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                  > P6R, Inc

                • stephen.mckamey
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 6, 2010
                    The attributes object is optional (see the BNF at http://jsonml.org) so you can drop it if empty to make more compact.

                    The example XML:

                    <description abc="http://example.com">
                    <abc:title>hi there</abc:title>
                    </description>

                    would encode in JsonML as:

                    ["description", {"abc":"http://example.com"},
                    ["abc:title", "hi there"]
                    ]

                    To encode mixed content, I think you mean like this:

                    would encode to the JsonML:

                    ["div", {"class":"section"},
                    ["p", {"class":"description"}, "This is how ", ["b", "inline elements"], " get marked up."]
                    ]

                    Optionally, you could even encode the document whitespace as well if this was significant to the original XML.

                    ["div", {"class":"section"},
                    "\r\n\t",
                    ["p", {"class":"description"}, "This is how ", ["b", "inline elements"], " get marked up."],
                    "\r\n"
                    ]

                    --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                    > Cool stuff, can you show me an example of how JsonML handles XML mixed content, that is not clear to me from the web site.
                    >

                    > And just so it is clear to me, the namespace example would be something like:
                    >
                    > <description abc="http://example.com"><abc:title>hi there</abc:title></description>
                    >
                    > becomes
                    >
                    > [ "description", {"abc" : "http://example.com"},
                    > [ "abc:title", {}, "hi there" ]
                    > ]
                    >
                    > So the JSON application has to find the meaning of "abc:title", if it cares, like XML applications do by looking for the first enclosing element with
                    > a definition for "abc"?
                    >

                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                    > President
                    > P6R, Inc
                    > 408-205-0361
                    > mark@...
                    > Skype: markjoseph_sc
                    > _____

                  • stephen.mckamey
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 6, 2010
                      Exactly. We were posting very similar examples at the same time. :)

                    • Fredag_d13
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 7, 2010
                        That looks pretty perfect to me. I think I will include JSONML support in the next release of my JSON api.

                        Thanks to Mark Joseph for starting this discussion and thank you Stephen for the JSONML pointer.

                        I like the idea that no special characters such as @, # or stringpatterns are needed.

                        /Jonas

                        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "stephen.mckamey" <stephen@...> wrote:

                        > Exactly. We were posting very similar examples at the same time. :)
                        >
                        > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Ok I think I see how mixed content works in JsonML:

                        > > becomes
                        > >
                        > > [ "description", {"lang":"en-us"},
                        > > " hi there ",
                        > > [ "bold", "joe" ],
                        > > " how are you "
                        > > ]
                        > >
                        > > Is that right?
                        > >

                        > > Best,
                        > >
                        > > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                        > > President
                        > > P6R, Inc
                        > > 408-205-0361
                        > > mark@
                        > > Skype: markjoseph_sc
                        > > _____

                      • Mark Joseph
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 7, 2010
                          We have also decided to support JsonML in
                          our next product version

                          Sent from my iPhone