Re: SV: [json] JSON representation for XML snippet

  • Andrea Giammarchi
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
      just use a non valid attribute name as JSON property, so you won't have
      ambiguity in the parser.

      <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
      will be
      {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}

      as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema

      ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]

      so that this:

      <attributes>
      <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
      </attributes>

      will be this

      ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]

      Regards

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
        On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Mark Joseph <mark@...> wrote:
        > Sorry the previous version of this message was hard to read:

        >>But one thing I didn't see mentioned was the the question of mapping
        >>JSON arrays (it does mention use of "JSON-document” as dummy name for
        > My Response:
        >
        > The the code that generates JSON output detects an array in the DOM tree and
        > generates a JSON array from it.   The "array" are just several nodes in the tree
        > with the same element name that are adjacent to each other.

        Ok. So DOM tree does have extra metadata that indicates this "array-ness".

        I assumed that DOM tree itself had no knowledge of this, given that
        SAX API would not have a way of indicating such data.
        But if API is just SAX-like (or extension of SAX with additional
        callback types, startArray/endArray), this could be handled.

        > The JSON parsing to DOM nodes just places all the array elements adjacent to each
        > other in the tree with the same name.   But this is an internal implementation thing that I could
        > do several ways.   (I could add a special node in the DOM tree indicating an array
        > start and array end.  Where these nodes are not output.)

        Right. There are multiple ways of exposing it, that is why I asked.

        > What is in the DOM tree is not XML and not JSON and not any other format.  It
        > is instead an intermediate format with extra "schematic" marker nodes a necessary
        > to indicate other information.

        Ok.

        > ***************************************
        >
        >>Another smaller issue is handling of JSON content with characters that
        >>are legal in JSON, but illegal in XML (like control characters) is not
        >>mentioned. Maybe such content is just passed as is; which works ok
        >>unless app code is assuming that no such content will be received.

        > My Response:
        >
        > Well I can't discuss everything in a single article, but in the DOM tree there are
        > no illegal characaters since at that point its not XML.   However, when you take
        > the DOM tree and want to output it as XML then there are standard escape/encoding
        > rules in XML that are used to force proper XML.

        Yes, except that this is not possible in xml 1.0, not even with
        character entities. There is no way include control characters (except
        for standard tab, lf, cr) in xml. This is different from having to
        escape less-than and ampersand characters.
        XML 1.1 allows for use of character entities for many of these
        characters, not including null.

        But I guess this is usually not a significant problem in practice.

        > What is really nice about our approach is now I can add another plugin that takes our
        > ASN.1 parser (for example) and converts that into a DOM tree (since it has structure too).   And then
        > do whatever I want to it.

        It is good to have interoperability tools, and I think this use case
        makes sense. It is easier to map JSON to XML if necessary than the
        other way around.

        Thank you for your explanation,

        -+ Tatu +-
      • Mark Joseph
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
          Ok. So DOM tree does have extra metadata that indicates this "array-ness".

          I assumed that DOM tree itself had no knowledge of this, given that
          SAX API would not have a way of indicating such data.
          But if API is just SAX-like (or extension of SAX with additional
          callback types, startArray/endArray), this could be handled.

          Our JSON parser does this:
          https://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/22/a-sax-like-parser-for-json/

          Its sax2 like in that its event based.

          >XML 1.1 allows for use of character entities for many of these
          >characters, not including null.

          Since there is no standard way to handle this my code actually output
          the text "null" so you can see at least what the value was meant to be.

          Best,
          Mark
          P6R, Inc
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
            On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Andrea Giammarchi
            <andrea.giammarchi@...> wrote:
            > I do not get all these problems ... first of all I expect that JSON to XML
            > will parse JSON first and then create XML via proper namespace/libarry and
            > character problem should not exist in this case.

            Unfortunately, no. I am specifically referring to XML inability to
            contain control characters like 0xA.
            There is no way to include those in XML 1.0 documents, not even by
            using character entities (char entity production must match
            valid-char, which excludes these). They can be included in JSON via
            escape mechanism.
            Reverse is not a problem as JSON can contain any Unicode character;
            any without escaping. I consider this a good thing (at least for
            String values).

            -+ Tatu +-
          • Mark Joseph
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 16, 2009
              Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
              **************************************
              <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
              will be
              {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}

              as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema

              ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]

              so that this:

              <attributes>
              <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
              </attributes>

              will be this

              ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]

              So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
              But with something like:

              <node1 a="45">
              <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
              <node3 d="abc">
              <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
              </node3>
              </node2>
              Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party

              <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
              </node1>

              The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
              are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
              added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
              not sure I want.

              Best,
              Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
              P6R, Inc
            • stephen.mckamey
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 17, 2009
                The encoding used by JsonML <http://jsonml.org> isn't prioritized to be "pretty" or even really encoded by humans. It is intended to be compact and loss-less. This means it can unambiguously encode and decode valid XML. Namespaces are handled the same way as XML 1.0: as part of the element (or attribute) name.

                Off-topic: Where JsonML really fills a void is its ability to be extended to be a full intermediate language for client-side templates. Templates are written by humans in an ASP/JSP style syntax and then compiled to JsonML+Browser-Side Templates (JBST) <http://bit.ly/2poc6d>. No parsing has to take place in the browser, and the site markup may be fully compacted and cached with the rest of the scripts as it is now pure JavaScript.

                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                > Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
                > **************************************
                > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                > will be
                > {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}
                >
                > as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema
                >
                > ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]
                >
                > so that this:
                >
                > <attributes>
                > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                > </attributes>
                >
                > will be this
                >
                > ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]
                >
                > So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
                > But with something like:
                >
                > <node1 a="45">
                > <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
                > <node3 d="abc">
                > <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
                > </node3>
                > </node2>
                > Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party
                >
                > <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
                > </node1>
                >
                > The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
                > are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
                > added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
                > not sure I want.
                >

                > Best,
                > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                > P6R, Inc
              • Mark Joseph
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 5 5:47 PM
                  For people interested in this topic. We are always open to comments and questions.

                  https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/

                  Best,

                  Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                  President
                  P6R, Inc
                  408-205-0361
                  mark@...
                  Skype: markjoseph_sc

                • Dennis Gearon
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 5 9:02 PM
                    I'm not really interested in this at the moment.

                    BUT, very nice technical work! If I do need it in the future, it's nice to see good quality ideas and implentation that I can look for and utilize.

                    Keep up the good work.

                    Dennis Gearon

                    Signature Warning

                    ----------------

                    EARTH has a Right To Life,

                    otherwise we all die.

                    Read 'Hot, Flat, and Crowded'

                    Laugh at http://www.yert.com/film.php

                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 6 10:11 AM
                      JsonML ( http://jsonml.org ) handles all of these issues and has been embraced by quite a number of places. Many JSON encoders already include support.

                      It handles namespaces the same way that XML 1.0 did: include the name as "prefix:local-name" and the URI to prefix mapping (xmlns:abc="http://example.com/abc") as the attribute of the node that declared it.

                      An early implementation of JsonML took a similar approach to including a child object, but ultimately after some design discussions with Douglas Crockford, his suggestion was to make the actual element an array like the child object and have the element name be the first item.

                      This positional structure has been the biggest part that people have disliked about JsonML, but yet in many XML documents (XHTML for example, being the primary use case) position of the child nodes is critical to the meaning of the document. So you get much smaller documents when you just add the element name as the first child and make elements arrays.

                      I'd encourage you to embrace JsonML and contribute to a standard that has been around for four years already rather than creating a slightly different approach.

                      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                      > For people interested in this topic. We are always open to comments and questions.
                      >
                      > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/
                      >

                      > Best,
                      >
                      > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                      > President
                      > P6R, Inc
                      > 408-205-0361
                      > mark@...
                      > Skype: markjoseph_sc

                    • stephen.mckamey
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 6 10:20 AM
                        Not that ugly:

                        ["node1", {"a":"45"},
                        ["node2", {"b":"9", "c":"hithere"},
                        ["node3", {"d":"abc"},
                        ["node4", {"e":"12345"}, "JSON has no attributes"]
                        ]
                        ],
                        "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party",

                        ["node5", {"d":"45"}, "temperature is 70 degrees today"]
                        ]

                        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                        > Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
                        > **************************************
                        > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                        > will be
                        > {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}
                        >
                        > as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema
                        >
                        > ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]
                        >
                        > so that this:
                        >
                        > <attributes>
                        > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                        > </attributes>
                        >
                        > will be this
                        >
                        > ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]
                        >
                        > So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
                        > But with something like:
                        >
                        > <node1 a="45">
                        > <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
                        > <node3 d="abc">
                        > <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
                        > </node3>
                        > </node2>
                        > Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party
                        >
                        > <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
                        > </node1>
                        >
                        > The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
                        > are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
                        > added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
                        > not sure I want.
                        >

                        > Best,
                        > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                        > P6R, Inc

                      • Mark Joseph
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 6 11:19 AM
                          Cool stuff, can you show me an example of how JsonML handles XML mixed content, that is not clear to me from the web site.

                          And just so it is clear to me, the namespace example would be something like:

                          <description abc="http://example.com"><abc:title>hi there</abc:title></description>

                          becomes

                          [ "description", {"abc" : "http://example.com"},
                          [ "abc:title", {}, "hi there" ]
                          ]

                          So the JSON application has to find the meaning of "abc:title", if it cares, like XML applications do by looking for the first enclosing element with
                          a definition for "abc"?

                          Thanks,

                          Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                          President
                          P6R, Inc
                          408-205-0361
                          mark@...
                          Skype: markjoseph_sc
                          _____

                          It handles namespaces the same way that XML 1.0 did: include the name as "prefix:local-name" and the URI to prefix mapping (xmlns:abc="http://example.com/abc") as the attribute of the node that declared it.

                          An early implementation of JsonML took a similar approach to including a child object, but ultimately after some design discussions with Douglas Crockford, his suggestion was to make the actual element an array like the child object and have the element name be the first item.

                          This positional structure has been the biggest part that people have disliked about JsonML, but yet in many XML documents (XHTML for example, being the primary use case) position of the child nodes is critical to the meaning of the document. So you get much smaller documents when you just add the element name as the first child and make elements arrays.

                          I'd encourage you to embrace JsonML and contribute to a standard that has been around for four years already rather than creating a slightly different approach.

                          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                          > For people interested in this topic. We are always open to comments and questions.
                          >
                          > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/
                          >

                          > Best,
                          >
                          > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                          > President
                          > P6R, Inc
                          > 408-205-0361
                          > mark@...
                          > Skype: markjoseph_sc

                        • Mark Joseph
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 6 11:35 AM
                            Ok I think I see how mixed content works in JsonML:

                            becomes

                            [ "description", {"lang":"en-us"},
                            " hi there ",
                            [ "bold", "joe" ],
                            " how are you "
                            ]

                            Is that right?

                            Best,

                            Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                            President
                            P6R, Inc
                            408-205-0361
                            mark@...
                            Skype: markjoseph_sc
                            _____

                            ["node4", {"e":"12345"}, "JSON has no attributes"]
                            ]
                            ],
                            "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party",

                            ["node5", {"d":"45"}, "temperature is 70 degrees today"]
                            ]

                            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                            > Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
                            > **************************************
                            > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                            > will be
                            > {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}
                            >
                            > as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema
                            >
                            > ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]
                            >
                            > so that this:
                            >
                            > <attributes>
                            > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                            > </attributes>
                            >
                            > will be this
                            >
                            > ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]
                            >
                            > So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
                            > But with something like:
                            >
                            > <node1 a="45">
                            > <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
                            > <node3 d="abc">
                            > <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
                            > </node3>
                            > </node2>
                            > Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party
                            >
                            > <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
                            > </node1>
                            >
                            > The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
                            > are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
                            > added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
                            > not sure I want.
                            >

                            > Best,
                            > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                            > P6R, Inc

                          • stephen.mckamey
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 6 11:43 AM
                              The attributes object is optional (see the BNF at http://jsonml.org) so you can drop it if empty to make more compact.

                              The example XML:

                              <description abc="http://example.com">
                              <abc:title>hi there</abc:title>
                              </description>

                              would encode in JsonML as:

                              ["description", {"abc":"http://example.com"},
                              ["abc:title", "hi there"]
                              ]

                              To encode mixed content, I think you mean like this:

                              would encode to the JsonML:

                              ["div", {"class":"section"},
                              ["p", {"class":"description"}, "This is how ", ["b", "inline elements"], " get marked up."]
                              ]

                              Optionally, you could even encode the document whitespace as well if this was significant to the original XML.

                              ["div", {"class":"section"},
                              "\r\n\t",
                              ["p", {"class":"description"}, "This is how ", ["b", "inline elements"], " get marked up."],
                              "\r\n"
                              ]

                              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                              > Cool stuff, can you show me an example of how JsonML handles XML mixed content, that is not clear to me from the web site.
                              >

                              > And just so it is clear to me, the namespace example would be something like:
                              >
                              > <description abc="http://example.com"><abc:title>hi there</abc:title></description>
                              >
                              > becomes
                              >
                              > [ "description", {"abc" : "http://example.com"},
                              > [ "abc:title", {}, "hi there" ]
                              > ]
                              >
                              > So the JSON application has to find the meaning of "abc:title", if it cares, like XML applications do by looking for the first enclosing element with
                              > a definition for "abc"?
                              >

                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                              > President
                              > P6R, Inc
                              > 408-205-0361
                              > mark@...
                              > Skype: markjoseph_sc
                              > _____

                            • stephen.mckamey
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 6 11:45 AM
                                Exactly. We were posting very similar examples at the same time. :)

                              • Fredag_d13
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 7 1:25 AM
                                  That looks pretty perfect to me. I think I will include JSONML support in the next release of my JSON api.

                                  Thanks to Mark Joseph for starting this discussion and thank you Stephen for the JSONML pointer.

                                  I like the idea that no special characters such as @, # or stringpatterns are needed.

                                  /Jonas

                                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "stephen.mckamey" <stephen@...> wrote:

                                  > Exactly. We were posting very similar examples at the same time. :)
                                  >
                                  > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Ok I think I see how mixed content works in JsonML:

                                  > > becomes
                                  > >
                                  > > [ "description", {"lang":"en-us"},
                                  > > " hi there ",
                                  > > [ "bold", "joe" ],
                                  > > " how are you "
                                  > > ]
                                  > >
                                  > > Is that right?
                                  > >

                                  > > Best,
                                  > >
                                  > > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                  > > President
                                  > > P6R, Inc
                                  > > 408-205-0361
                                  > > mark@
                                  > > Skype: markjoseph_sc
                                  > > _____

                                • Mark Joseph
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 7 4:11 AM
                                    We have also decided to support JsonML in
                                    our next product version

                                    Sent from my iPhone