Re: SV: [json] JSON representation for XML snippet

  • Andrea Giammarchi
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
      er, me too in the precedent link there is a demo:
      http://www.3site.eu/JXON/

      I guess my spec is simple:

      <element>
      Boolean = <boolean>true|false</boolean>
      Date = <date>YYYY-MM-DDTHH:II:SS</date>
      Null = <null/>
      Number = <number>N|Z</number>
      String = <string>string content</string>
      Array = <array><element-list/></array>
      Object = <object><element-list key="element-key"/></object>

      <element-list> = a list of precedent element

      While the code to transform to and from XML to JSON and vice-versa is here:
      http://www.devpro.it/code/193.html

      A bit old, I need to rewrite some stuff, but maybe examples and the
      code itself could be a hint.

      Regards

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
        On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Jakob Kruse <kruse@...> wrote:
        > ”instead of "the" standard, there however multiple competing standard proposals […] that do allow converting any XML content into well-formed […] JSON.”
        >
        > I don’t think that’s true, and it is certainly not true for Badgerfish. All of the mapping conventions I know of fail to correctly represent “document type” XML such as:
        >
        > <asdf>
        > <a>…</a>
        > <a>…</a>
        > <b>…</b>
        > <a>…</a>
        > </asdf>
        >
        > This speaks to the heart of the difference between XML and JSON. In order to represent something like this in JSON, the contents of the “asdf” element would have to be in an array. This is not an impossible solution, but using that convention throughout makes for very ugly JSON.

        Perhaps I should have worded it as "try to allow...". And that they do
        it with varying level of success -- as you point out, badgerfish fails
        for that case, and others in variety of other ways. Plus even if all
        nuances of XML Infoset were covered (from namespaces to processing
        instructions etc), resulting JSON does look ugly. So yes, this is part
        of the whole impedance part, JSON <> XML.

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
          On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Mark Joseph <mark@...> wrote:
          > To do the XML to JSON conversion I use our XSLT (which can also go the other way as well)
          >
          > <xsl:output method=’json’/>
          > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/11/02/xsloutput-methodjson/

          Does this (JSON -> xml events) work with any JSON input? Aside from
          some cases that should be impossible (JSON content can include
          character content that is illegal in XML), there are smaller questions
          of what to map Arrays to... but those would be solvable. But do
          require adoption some kind of convention. :-)

          So, what do array markers translate to? I'm mostly asking because I
          have been planning addition of some xml compatibility features for
          JSON processor I am working on, and this is one of things where there
          any many options. But if there are emerging (de facto) standards, it'd
          be good to follow.

          -+ Tatu +-
        • Mark Joseph
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
            So the way the system works is that our JSON parser is called from a plugin to our DOM parser. That plugin calls the DOM parser API that creates nodes in the DOM tree.
            This is documented in another article:
            https://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/06/xslt-and-xpath-for-json/

            The plugin architecture is also used for XML, where a separate plugin calls our SAX-2 XML parser so they both work the same way.

            This way we convert whatever into a DOM tree and then can run full XSLT 2.0 ( not 1.0 ) and full
            XPATH 2.0 on any of the data.

            -Mark
            P6R Inc

            _____

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
              On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Mark Joseph <mark@...> wrote:
              > So the way the system works is that our JSON parser is called from a plugin to our DOM parser.   That plugin calls the DOM parser API that creates nodes in the DOM tree.
              > This is documented in another article:
              > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/06/xslt-and-xpath-for-json/
              >
              > The plugin architecture is also used for XML, where a separate plugin calls our SAX-2 XML parser so they both work the same way.

              Right, I did skim through it, it's just that article is omitting a few
              details. The basic idea of exposing JSON as SAX events is of course
              simple (and obvious, but useful): JSON start/end object/array gets
              converted to SAX start/end element events, no attributes.

              But one thing I didn't see mentioned was the the question of mapping
              JSON arrays (it does mention use of "JSON-document” as dummy name for
              outermost JSON object, which is needed). In XML there are couple of
              ways of expressing logical arrays (sequences of items), so one has to
              choose one from alternatives (separate container for array itself? or
              for elements? or both? and what name to use for either?)
              So it seems that either JSON arrays are not supported, or that details
              are just not mentioned.
              Also: this problem affects JSON output as well.

              Another smaller issue is handling of JSON content with characters that
              are legal in JSON, but illegal in XML (like control characters) is not
              mentioned. Maybe such content is just passed as is; which works ok
              unless app code is assuming that no such content will be received.

              -+ Tatu +-
            • Andrea Giammarchi
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
                I do not get all these problems ... first of all I expect that JSON to XML
                will parse JSON first and then create XML via proper namespace/libarry and
                character problem should not exist in this case.

                Secondly ASAIK JSON escapes a lot of characters adding \uXXXX from 0000 to
                FFFF, other characters are escaped like \\n and the rest is basically ASCII.
                Which parser gives you all these problems during convertion, assuming you
                are avoiding the "to Current Language before, to XML after" strategy?

                On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@...>wrote:

                > On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Mark Joseph <mark@...> wrote:
                > > So the way the system works is that our JSON parser is called from a
                > plugin to our DOM parser. That plugin calls the DOM parser API that
                > creates nodes in the DOM tree.
                > > This is documented in another article:
                > > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/06/xslt-and-xpath-for-json/
                > >
                > > The plugin architecture is also used for XML, where a separate plugin
                > calls our SAX-2 XML parser so they both work the same way.
                >
                > Right, I did skim through it, it's just that article is omitting a few
                > details. The basic idea of exposing JSON as SAX events is of course
                > simple (and obvious, but useful): JSON start/end object/array gets
                > converted to SAX start/end element events, no attributes.
                >
                > But one thing I didn't see mentioned was the the question of mapping
                > JSON arrays (it does mention use of "JSON-document� as dummy name for
                > outermost JSON object, which is needed). In XML there are couple of
                > ways of expressing logical arrays (sequences of items), so one has to
                > choose one from alternatives (separate container for array itself? or
                > for elements? or both? and what name to use for either?)
                > So it seems that either JSON arrays are not supported, or that details
                > are just not mentioned.
                > Also: this problem affects JSON output as well.
                >
                > Another smaller issue is handling of JSON content with characters that
                > are legal in JSON, but illegal in XML (like control characters) is not
                > mentioned. Maybe such content is just passed as is; which works ok
                > unless app code is assuming that no such content will be received.
                >
                > -+ Tatu +-

              • Mark Joseph
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
                  But one thing I didn't see mentioned was the the question of mapping
                  JSON arrays (it does mention use of "JSON-document” as dummy name for
                  outermost JSON object, which is needed). In XML there are couple of
                  ways of expressing logical arrays (sequences of items), so one has to
                  choose one from alternatives (separate container for array itself? or
                  for elements? or both? and what name to use for either?)
                  So it seems that either JSON arrays are not supported, or that details
                  are just not mentioned.
                  Also: this problem affects JSON output as well.
                  The the code that generates JSON output detects an array in the DOM tree and
                  generates a JSON array from it. The "array" are just several nodes in the tree
                  with the same element name that are adjacent to each other.

                  The JSON parsing to DOM nodes just places all the array elements adjacent to each
                  other in the tree with the same name. But this is an internal implementation thing that I could
                  do several ways. (I could add a special node in the DOM tree indicating an array
                  start and array end. Where these nodes are not output.)

                  What is in the DOM tree is not XML and not JSON and not any other format. It
                  is instead an intermediate format with extra "schematic" marker nodes a necessary
                  to indicate other information.

                  Another smaller issue is handling of JSON content with characters that
                  are legal in JSON, but illegal in XML (like control characters) is not
                  mentioned. Maybe such content is just passed as is; which works ok
                  unless app code is assuming that no such content will be received.
                  Well I can't discuss everything in a single article, but in the DOM tree there are
                  no illegal characaters since at that point its not XML. However, when you take
                  the DOM tree and want to output it as XML then there are standard escape/encoding
                  rules in XML that are used to force proper XML.

                  What is really nice about our approach is now I can add another plugin that takes our
                  ASN.1 parser (for example) and converts that into a DOM tree (since it has structure too). And then
                  do whatever I want to it.

                  Best,
                  Mark
                  P6R, Inc

                • Mark Joseph
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
                    Sorry the previous version of this message was hard to read:

                    >But one thing I didn't see mentioned was the the question of mapping
                    >JSON arrays (it does mention use of "JSON-document” as dummy name for
                    >outermost JSON object, which is needed). In XML there are couple of
                    >ways of expressing logical arrays (sequences of items), so one has to
                    >choose one from alternatives (separate container for array itself? or
                    >for elements? or both? and what name to use for either?)
                    >So it seems that either JSON arrays are not supported, or that details
                    >are just not mentioned.
                    >Also: this problem affects JSON output as well.

                    ***************************************
                    My Response:

                    The the code that generates JSON output detects an array in the DOM tree and
                    generates a JSON array from it. The "array" are just several nodes in the tree
                    with the same element name that are adjacent to each other.

                    The JSON parsing to DOM nodes just places all the array elements adjacent to each
                    other in the tree with the same name. But this is an internal implementation thing that I could
                    do several ways. (I could add a special node in the DOM tree indicating an array
                    start and array end. Where these nodes are not output.)

                    What is in the DOM tree is not XML and not JSON and not any other format. It
                    is instead an intermediate format with extra "schematic" marker nodes a necessary
                    to indicate other information.

                    ***************************************

                    >Another smaller issue is handling of JSON content with characters that
                    >are legal in JSON, but illegal in XML (like control characters) is not
                    >mentioned. Maybe such content is just passed as is; which works ok
                    >unless app code is assuming that no such content will be received.

                    My Response:

                    Well I can't discuss everything in a single article, but in the DOM tree there are
                    no illegal characaters since at that point its not XML. However, when you take
                    the DOM tree and want to output it as XML then there are standard escape/encoding
                    rules in XML that are used to force proper XML.

                    What is really nice about our approach is now I can add another plugin that takes our
                    ASN.1 parser (for example) and converts that into a DOM tree (since it has structure too). And then
                    do whatever I want to it.

                    Best,
                    Mark
                    P6R, Inc

                  • Shalab Goel
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
                      Thank you for all the responses. I guess there were two parts to it. I was
                      specifically interested in your insights on a XML element with both text and
                      attributes
                      can be represented in JSON.

                      <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>

                      If XML were

                      <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>

                      equivalent JSON could be

                      {"attribute" : "value2"}

                      if XML were

                      <attribute a2="v2" />

                      JSON could be

                      {
                      "attribute" :
                      { "a2" : "v2" }
                      }

                      But how about when both XML element's text and attributes are specified
                      as in

                      <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>

                      Thanks
                      Shalab

                      On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Mark Joseph <mark@...> wrote:

                      > But one thing I didn't see mentioned was the the question of mapping
                      > JSON arrays (it does mention use of "JSON-document� as dummy name for
                      > outermost JSON object, which is needed). In XML there are couple of
                      > ways of expressing logical arrays (sequences of items), so one has to
                      > choose one from alternatives (separate container for array itself? or
                      > for elements? or both? and what name to use for either?)
                      > So it seems that either JSON arrays are not supported, or that details
                      > are just not mentioned.
                      > Also: this problem affects JSON output as well.
                      > The the code that generates JSON output detects an array in the DOM tree
                      > and
                      > generates a JSON array from it. The "array" are just several nodes in the
                      > tree
                      > with the same element name that are adjacent to each other.
                      >
                      > The JSON parsing to DOM nodes just places all the array elements adjacent
                      > to each
                      > other in the tree with the same name. But this is an internal
                      > implementation thing that I could
                      > do several ways. (I could add a special node in the DOM tree indicating an
                      > array
                      > start and array end. Where these nodes are not output.)
                      >
                      > What is in the DOM tree is not XML and not JSON and not any other format.
                      > It
                      > is instead an intermediate format with extra "schematic" marker nodes a
                      > necessary
                      > to indicate other information.
                      >
                      > Another smaller issue is handling of JSON content with characters that
                      > are legal in JSON, but illegal in XML (like control characters) is not
                      > mentioned. Maybe such content is just passed as is; which works ok
                      > unless app code is assuming that no such content will be received.
                      > Well I can't discuss everything in a single article, but in the DOM tree
                      > there are
                      > no illegal characaters since at that point its not XML. However, when you
                      > take
                      > the DOM tree and want to output it as XML then there are standard
                      > escape/encoding
                      > rules in XML that are used to force proper XML.
                      >
                      > What is really nice about our approach is now I can add another plugin that
                      > takes our
                      > ASN.1 parser (for example) and converts that into a DOM tree (since it has
                      > structure too). And then
                      > do whatever I want to it.
                      >
                      > Best,
                      > Mark
                      > P6R, Inc
                      >
                      > -+ Tatu +-

                    • Andrea Giammarchi
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
                        just use a non valid attribute name as JSON property, so you won't have
                        ambiguity in the parser.

                        <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                        will be
                        {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}

                        as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema

                        ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]

                        so that this:

                        <attributes>
                        <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                        </attributes>

                        will be this

                        ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]

                        Regards

                        On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Shalab Goel <goel.shalab@...> wrote:

                        > But how about when both XML element's text and attributes are specified
                        > as in
                        >
                        > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Shalab

                      • Mark Joseph
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
                          **********************************
                          Thank you for all the responses. I guess there were two parts to it. I was
                          specifically interested in your insights on a XML element with both text and
                          attributes
                          can be represented in JSON.

                          <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>

                          If XML were

                          <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>

                          equivalent JSON could be

                          {"attribute" : "value2"}

                          if XML were

                          <attribute a2="v2" />

                          JSON could be

                          {
                          "attribute" :
                          { "a2" : "v2" }
                          }

                          But how about when both XML element's text and attributes are specified
                          as in

                          <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                          *************************************

                          It would be great if there was a standard defined for the transformation, but
                          other than that I can only mention what I have done.

                          I have played with both formats:

                          a flat format:
                          { "attribute" : "value2",
                          "a2" : "v2"
                          }

                          OR

                          An array format:
                          { "attribute" : [ { "a2" : "v2" }, { "value2" } ] }

                          Of course, with either of these outputs we lose something and cannot easily turn this
                          back into XML afterwards. Since JSON has no attributes I have no solution unless
                          everyone agrees to what the mapping should be.

                          Best,

                          Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                          President
                          P6R, Inc
                          408-205-0361
                          mark@...
                          Skype: markjoseph_sc
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
                            On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Mark Joseph <mark@...> wrote:
                            > Sorry the previous version of this message was hard to read:

                            >>But one thing I didn't see mentioned was the the question of mapping
                            >>JSON arrays (it does mention use of "JSON-document” as dummy name for
                            > My Response:
                            >
                            > The the code that generates JSON output detects an array in the DOM tree and
                            > generates a JSON array from it.   The "array" are just several nodes in the tree
                            > with the same element name that are adjacent to each other.

                            Ok. So DOM tree does have extra metadata that indicates this "array-ness".

                            I assumed that DOM tree itself had no knowledge of this, given that
                            SAX API would not have a way of indicating such data.
                            But if API is just SAX-like (or extension of SAX with additional
                            callback types, startArray/endArray), this could be handled.

                            > The JSON parsing to DOM nodes just places all the array elements adjacent to each
                            > other in the tree with the same name.   But this is an internal implementation thing that I could
                            > do several ways.   (I could add a special node in the DOM tree indicating an array
                            > start and array end.  Where these nodes are not output.)

                            Right. There are multiple ways of exposing it, that is why I asked.

                            > What is in the DOM tree is not XML and not JSON and not any other format.  It
                            > is instead an intermediate format with extra "schematic" marker nodes a necessary
                            > to indicate other information.

                            Ok.

                            > ***************************************
                            >
                            >>Another smaller issue is handling of JSON content with characters that
                            >>are legal in JSON, but illegal in XML (like control characters) is not
                            >>mentioned. Maybe such content is just passed as is; which works ok
                            >>unless app code is assuming that no such content will be received.

                            > My Response:
                            >
                            > Well I can't discuss everything in a single article, but in the DOM tree there are
                            > no illegal characaters since at that point its not XML.   However, when you take
                            > the DOM tree and want to output it as XML then there are standard escape/encoding
                            > rules in XML that are used to force proper XML.

                            Yes, except that this is not possible in xml 1.0, not even with
                            character entities. There is no way include control characters (except
                            for standard tab, lf, cr) in xml. This is different from having to
                            escape less-than and ampersand characters.
                            XML 1.1 allows for use of character entities for many of these
                            characters, not including null.

                            But I guess this is usually not a significant problem in practice.

                            > What is really nice about our approach is now I can add another plugin that takes our
                            > ASN.1 parser (for example) and converts that into a DOM tree (since it has structure too).   And then
                            > do whatever I want to it.

                            It is good to have interoperability tools, and I think this use case
                            makes sense. It is easier to map JSON to XML if necessary than the
                            other way around.

                            Thank you for your explanation,

                            -+ Tatu +-
                          • Mark Joseph
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
                              Ok. So DOM tree does have extra metadata that indicates this "array-ness".

                              I assumed that DOM tree itself had no knowledge of this, given that
                              SAX API would not have a way of indicating such data.
                              But if API is just SAX-like (or extension of SAX with additional
                              callback types, startArray/endArray), this could be handled.

                              Our JSON parser does this:
                              https://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/22/a-sax-like-parser-for-json/

                              Its sax2 like in that its event based.

                              >XML 1.1 allows for use of character entities for many of these
                              >characters, not including null.

                              Since there is no standard way to handle this my code actually output
                              the text "null" so you can see at least what the value was meant to be.

                              Best,
                              Mark
                              P6R, Inc
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 14, 2009
                                On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Andrea Giammarchi
                                <andrea.giammarchi@...> wrote:
                                > I do not get all these problems ... first of all I expect that JSON to XML
                                > will parse JSON first and then create XML via proper namespace/libarry and
                                > character problem should not exist in this case.

                                Unfortunately, no. I am specifically referring to XML inability to
                                contain control characters like 0xA.
                                There is no way to include those in XML 1.0 documents, not even by
                                using character entities (char entity production must match
                                valid-char, which excludes these). They can be included in JSON via
                                escape mechanism.
                                Reverse is not a problem as JSON can contain any Unicode character;
                                any without escaping. I consider this a good thing (at least for
                                String values).

                                -+ Tatu +-
                              • Mark Joseph
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 16, 2009
                                  Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
                                  **************************************
                                  <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                                  will be
                                  {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}

                                  as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema

                                  ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]

                                  so that this:

                                  <attributes>
                                  <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                                  </attributes>

                                  will be this

                                  ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]

                                  So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
                                  But with something like:

                                  <node1 a="45">
                                  <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
                                  <node3 d="abc">
                                  <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
                                  </node3>
                                  </node2>
                                  Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party

                                  <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
                                  </node1>

                                  The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
                                  are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
                                  added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
                                  not sure I want.

                                  Best,
                                  Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                  P6R, Inc
                                • stephen.mckamey
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 17, 2009
                                    The encoding used by JsonML <http://jsonml.org> isn't prioritized to be "pretty" or even really encoded by humans. It is intended to be compact and loss-less. This means it can unambiguously encode and decode valid XML. Namespaces are handled the same way as XML 1.0: as part of the element (or attribute) name.

                                    Off-topic: Where JsonML really fills a void is its ability to be extended to be a full intermediate language for client-side templates. Templates are written by humans in an ASP/JSP style syntax and then compiled to JsonML+Browser-Side Templates (JBST) <http://bit.ly/2poc6d>. No parsing has to take place in the browser, and the site markup may be fully compacted and cached with the rest of the scripts as it is now pure JavaScript.

                                    --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                                    > Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
                                    > **************************************
                                    > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                                    > will be
                                    > {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}
                                    >
                                    > as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema
                                    >
                                    > ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]
                                    >
                                    > so that this:
                                    >
                                    > <attributes>
                                    > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                                    > </attributes>
                                    >
                                    > will be this
                                    >
                                    > ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]
                                    >
                                    > So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
                                    > But with something like:
                                    >
                                    > <node1 a="45">
                                    > <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
                                    > <node3 d="abc">
                                    > <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
                                    > </node3>
                                    > </node2>
                                    > Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party
                                    >
                                    > <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
                                    > </node1>
                                    >
                                    > The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
                                    > are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
                                    > added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
                                    > not sure I want.
                                    >

                                    > Best,
                                    > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                    > P6R, Inc
                                  • Mark Joseph
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 5 5:47 PM
                                      For people interested in this topic. We are always open to comments and questions.

                                      https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/

                                      Best,

                                      Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                      President
                                      P6R, Inc
                                      408-205-0361
                                      mark@...
                                      Skype: markjoseph_sc

                                    • Dennis Gearon
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 5 9:02 PM
                                        I'm not really interested in this at the moment.

                                        BUT, very nice technical work! If I do need it in the future, it's nice to see good quality ideas and implentation that I can look for and utilize.

                                        Keep up the good work.

                                        Dennis Gearon

                                        Signature Warning

                                        ----------------

                                        EARTH has a Right To Life,

                                        otherwise we all die.

                                        Read 'Hot, Flat, and Crowded'

                                        Laugh at http://www.yert.com/film.php

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 6 10:11 AM
                                          JsonML ( http://jsonml.org ) handles all of these issues and has been embraced by quite a number of places. Many JSON encoders already include support.

                                          It handles namespaces the same way that XML 1.0 did: include the name as "prefix:local-name" and the URI to prefix mapping (xmlns:abc="http://example.com/abc") as the attribute of the node that declared it.

                                          An early implementation of JsonML took a similar approach to including a child object, but ultimately after some design discussions with Douglas Crockford, his suggestion was to make the actual element an array like the child object and have the element name be the first item.

                                          This positional structure has been the biggest part that people have disliked about JsonML, but yet in many XML documents (XHTML for example, being the primary use case) position of the child nodes is critical to the meaning of the document. So you get much smaller documents when you just add the element name as the first child and make elements arrays.

                                          I'd encourage you to embrace JsonML and contribute to a standard that has been around for four years already rather than creating a slightly different approach.

                                          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                                          > For people interested in this topic. We are always open to comments and questions.
                                          >
                                          > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/
                                          >

                                          > Best,
                                          >
                                          > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                          > President
                                          > P6R, Inc
                                          > 408-205-0361
                                          > mark@...
                                          > Skype: markjoseph_sc

                                        • stephen.mckamey
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 6 10:20 AM
                                            Not that ugly:

                                            ["node1", {"a":"45"},
                                            ["node2", {"b":"9", "c":"hithere"},
                                            ["node3", {"d":"abc"},
                                            ["node4", {"e":"12345"}, "JSON has no attributes"]
                                            ]
                                            ],
                                            "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party",

                                            ["node5", {"d":"45"}, "temperature is 70 degrees today"]
                                            ]

                                            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                                            > Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
                                            > **************************************
                                            > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                                            > will be
                                            > {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}
                                            >
                                            > as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema
                                            >
                                            > ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]
                                            >
                                            > so that this:
                                            >
                                            > <attributes>
                                            > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                                            > </attributes>
                                            >
                                            > will be this
                                            >
                                            > ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]
                                            >
                                            > So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
                                            > But with something like:
                                            >
                                            > <node1 a="45">
                                            > <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
                                            > <node3 d="abc">
                                            > <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
                                            > </node3>
                                            > </node2>
                                            > Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party
                                            >
                                            > <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
                                            > </node1>
                                            >
                                            > The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
                                            > are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
                                            > added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
                                            > not sure I want.
                                            >

                                            > Best,
                                            > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                            > P6R, Inc

                                          • Mark Joseph
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 6 11:19 AM
                                              Cool stuff, can you show me an example of how JsonML handles XML mixed content, that is not clear to me from the web site.

                                              And just so it is clear to me, the namespace example would be something like:

                                              <description abc="http://example.com"><abc:title>hi there</abc:title></description>

                                              becomes

                                              [ "description", {"abc" : "http://example.com"},
                                              [ "abc:title", {}, "hi there" ]
                                              ]

                                              So the JSON application has to find the meaning of "abc:title", if it cares, like XML applications do by looking for the first enclosing element with
                                              a definition for "abc"?

                                              Thanks,

                                              Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                              President
                                              P6R, Inc
                                              408-205-0361
                                              mark@...
                                              Skype: markjoseph_sc
                                              _____

                                              It handles namespaces the same way that XML 1.0 did: include the name as "prefix:local-name" and the URI to prefix mapping (xmlns:abc="http://example.com/abc") as the attribute of the node that declared it.

                                              An early implementation of JsonML took a similar approach to including a child object, but ultimately after some design discussions with Douglas Crockford, his suggestion was to make the actual element an array like the child object and have the element name be the first item.

                                              This positional structure has been the biggest part that people have disliked about JsonML, but yet in many XML documents (XHTML for example, being the primary use case) position of the child nodes is critical to the meaning of the document. So you get much smaller documents when you just add the element name as the first child and make elements arrays.

                                              I'd encourage you to embrace JsonML and contribute to a standard that has been around for four years already rather than creating a slightly different approach.

                                              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                                              > For people interested in this topic. We are always open to comments and questions.
                                              >
                                              > https://www.p6r.com/articles/2010/04/05/xml-to-json-and-back/
                                              >

                                              > Best,
                                              >
                                              > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                              > President
                                              > P6R, Inc
                                              > 408-205-0361
                                              > mark@...
                                              > Skype: markjoseph_sc

                                            • Mark Joseph
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 6 11:35 AM
                                                Ok I think I see how mixed content works in JsonML:

                                                becomes

                                                [ "description", {"lang":"en-us"},
                                                " hi there ",
                                                [ "bold", "joe" ],
                                                " how are you "
                                                ]

                                                Is that right?

                                                Best,

                                                Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                                President
                                                P6R, Inc
                                                408-205-0361
                                                mark@...
                                                Skype: markjoseph_sc
                                                _____

                                                ["node4", {"e":"12345"}, "JSON has no attributes"]
                                                ]
                                                ],
                                                "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party",

                                                ["node5", {"d":"45"}, "temperature is 70 degrees today"]
                                                ]

                                                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                                                > Handling XML attributes when converting to JSON:
                                                > **************************************
                                                > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                                                > will be
                                                > {"attribute":{"a2":"v2"},"#text":"value2"}
                                                >
                                                > as example ... while JSONML uses this kind of schema
                                                >
                                                > ["nodeName",{"a2":"v2"},"text or nested nodes"]
                                                >
                                                > so that this:
                                                >
                                                > <attributes>
                                                > <attribute a2="v2">value2</attribute>
                                                > </attributes>
                                                >
                                                > will be this
                                                >
                                                > ["attributes",{},["attribute",{"a2":"v2"},"value2"]]
                                                >
                                                > So all of the above works well when you have simple XML.
                                                > But with something like:
                                                >
                                                > <node1 a="45">
                                                > <node2 b="9" c="hithere">
                                                > <node3 d="abc">
                                                > <node4 e="12345">JSON has no attributes</node4>
                                                > </node3>
                                                > </node2>
                                                > Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party
                                                >
                                                > <node5 d="45">temperature is 70 degrees today</node5>
                                                > </node1>
                                                >
                                                > The resulting JSON is going to be "ugly". Many added arrays
                                                > are added to handle the attributes and nested nodes now appear in the
                                                > added arrays. To me this adds a lot of extra complexity that I am
                                                > not sure I want.
                                                >

                                                > Best,
                                                > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                                > P6R, Inc

                                              • stephen.mckamey
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 6 11:43 AM
                                                  The attributes object is optional (see the BNF at http://jsonml.org) so you can drop it if empty to make more compact.

                                                  The example XML:

                                                  <description abc="http://example.com">
                                                  <abc:title>hi there</abc:title>
                                                  </description>

                                                  would encode in JsonML as:

                                                  ["description", {"abc":"http://example.com"},
                                                  ["abc:title", "hi there"]
                                                  ]

                                                  To encode mixed content, I think you mean like this:

                                                  would encode to the JsonML:

                                                  ["div", {"class":"section"},
                                                  ["p", {"class":"description"}, "This is how ", ["b", "inline elements"], " get marked up."]
                                                  ]

                                                  Optionally, you could even encode the document whitespace as well if this was significant to the original XML.

                                                  ["div", {"class":"section"},
                                                  "\r\n\t",
                                                  ["p", {"class":"description"}, "This is how ", ["b", "inline elements"], " get marked up."],
                                                  "\r\n"
                                                  ]

                                                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:

                                                  > Cool stuff, can you show me an example of how JsonML handles XML mixed content, that is not clear to me from the web site.
                                                  >

                                                  > And just so it is clear to me, the namespace example would be something like:
                                                  >
                                                  > <description abc="http://example.com"><abc:title>hi there</abc:title></description>
                                                  >
                                                  > becomes
                                                  >
                                                  > [ "description", {"abc" : "http://example.com"},
                                                  > [ "abc:title", {}, "hi there" ]
                                                  > ]
                                                  >
                                                  > So the JSON application has to find the meaning of "abc:title", if it cares, like XML applications do by looking for the first enclosing element with
                                                  > a definition for "abc"?
                                                  >

                                                  > Thanks,
                                                  >
                                                  > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                                  > President
                                                  > P6R, Inc
                                                  > 408-205-0361
                                                  > mark@...
                                                  > Skype: markjoseph_sc
                                                  > _____

                                                • stephen.mckamey
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 6 11:45 AM
                                                    Exactly. We were posting very similar examples at the same time. :)

                                                  • Fredag_d13
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Apr 7 1:25 AM
                                                      That looks pretty perfect to me. I think I will include JSONML support in the next release of my JSON api.

                                                      Thanks to Mark Joseph for starting this discussion and thank you Stephen for the JSONML pointer.

                                                      I like the idea that no special characters such as @, # or stringpatterns are needed.

                                                      /Jonas

                                                      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "stephen.mckamey" <stephen@...> wrote:

                                                      > Exactly. We were posting very similar examples at the same time. :)
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Ok I think I see how mixed content works in JsonML:

                                                      > > becomes
                                                      > >
                                                      > > [ "description", {"lang":"en-us"},
                                                      > > " hi there ",
                                                      > > [ "bold", "joe" ],
                                                      > > " how are you "
                                                      > > ]
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Is that right?
                                                      > >

                                                      > > Best,
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                                                      > > President
                                                      > > P6R, Inc
                                                      > > 408-205-0361
                                                      > > mark@
                                                      > > Skype: markjoseph_sc
                                                      > > _____

                                                    • Mark Joseph
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 7 4:11 AM
                                                        We have also decided to support JsonML in
                                                        our next product version

                                                        Sent from my iPhone