Argo - Another Java based JSON parser and generator to add to the mix

  • markosslater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 12:22 PM
      Hi,

      In a similar vein to several of the recent posts, I'd like to invite the
      group to take a look at another new open source JSON parser and
      generator.

      Argo <http://argo.sourceforge.net> is written in Java, and was inspired
      by some of the frustrations I've experienced applying some of the other
      JSON parsers to the requirements I have at work. It provides three
      parsing interfaces:

      * Document based (like DOM)
      * Pull (like StAX)
      * Push (like SAX)
      The document model is also used for generating JSON.

      The main frustrations I mentioned above that are addressed are:

      * Simplicitiy of API - I've tried to make the API as simple and
      robust as possible for handling JSON from a source of unknown quality.
      The intention is that it should be easy to check for, and pull out
      arbitrary elements of a JSON document.
      * Precision of numbers - the precision of numbers in a JSON document
      is preserved entirely; it's up to the user of the API to choose how to
      represent those numbers if they want to perform operations on them.
      This is absolutely critical for financial applicaitons, among others.
      * Type safety - as much as is possible, the compiler should be able
      to tell you about mistakes with the API. There should be no need for
      any casting at all.
      * Completeness - I wanted to be able to use a single library for all
      my JSON needs. Prior to this, we seemed to have collected dependencies
      on half the libraries on JSON org.

      I'd be very interested to hear opinions, suggestions, criticism, etc.,
      either here, or on the forums listed on the support page at
      http://argo.sourceforge.net

      Thanks,

      Mark