Re: Full ISO 8601 Date Parser Plus Unobtrusive toISOString

  • joel.finch@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2009
      Personally, I think this would have to extend the Date prototype to be fully useful; like json2.js, its value is in allowing us to write script now using the correct future syntax of ECMAScript 5.

      Incidentally, your toISOString function doesn't have handling for the NaN case.

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi@...> wrote:

      > Maybe this stuff could be interesting for json2.js file as well, or maybe
      > not.
      > It is a quick and full specs ISO strings parser, really fast, widely
      > compatible, unobtrusive, since Date.prototype is not touched (it could be
      > touched if everybody agrees about it)
      > http://webreflection.blogspot.com/2009/07/ecmascript-iso-date-for-every-browser.html
      >
      > Regards

    • Andrea Giammarchi

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2009
          Shouldn't new Date(NaN) refer to a future date that is always just around
          the corner, yet never arrives?
          sorry... couldn't resist :)

          On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Andrea Giammarchi <
          andrea.giammarchi@...> wrote:

          > The NaN case should be a constructor problem, no? To extend
          > Date.prototype.toISOString = Date.ISO("2000").toISOString;
          >

          > On Jul 6, 2009 1:41 AM, "joel.finch@... <joel.finch%40ymail.com>" <
          > joel@... <joel%402am.com.au>> wrote:
          >
          > Personally, I think this would have to extend the Date prototype to be
          > fully
          > useful; like json2.js, its value is in allowing us to write script now
          > using
          > the correct future syntax of ECMAScript 5.
          >
          > Incidentally, your toISOString function doesn't have handling for the NaN
          > case.
          >
          > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, Andrea Giammarchi
          > <andrea.giammarchi@...>
          > wrote: > > Maybe this stuff...

        • Andrea Giammarchi
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2009
            Uhm, I think new Date(NaN) should return a static historical date, new
            Date(Number.POSITIVE_INFINITY) 9999-12-31T23:59:59:999 and
            Number.NEGATIVE_INFINITY 0001-01-01T00:00:00.001 :D

            Jokes a part, if interested, I have implemented a full(?) ECMAScript Date
            constructor in vice-versa, but since vice-versa is based on stand-alone
            modules/files, here I am with the code:

            http://vice-versa.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/Date.js

            toISOString is a prototype, and new Date accept ISO 8601 strings.

            Regards