Re: [json] Stoppable SAX-like interface for streaming input of JSON text

  • Mark Joseph
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
      Ah I am sorry I was not clear we provide the JSON and XML
      tools to C++ users not Java.
      http://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/22/a-sax-like-parser-for-json/

      On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 19:10:21 -0800
      Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@...> wrote:
      > On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Mark Joseph
      ><mark@...> wrote:
      >> I was reading over the StAX specification and BEA
      >>provides
      >> licenses to the API, but that license prevents
      >> sublicenses. This means I as a vendor cannot provide my
      >> own implementation and license that to customers. So
      >>if
      >
      > I don't see why you would need a license to implement an
      >API.
      > Generally licensing governs usage of API itself,
      >distributing it, modifying etc.
      > None of those are usually needed, because Stax is part
      >of JDK 1.6.
      > Or you point users to download API jar itself from
      >whoever can provide it.
      >
      > Also: whatever stax specs download bundle claims is
      >probably incorrect.
      >
      > But yes, clearly BEA screwed up licensing mentions and
      >other parts.
      >
      >> I am reading that right what is the point of that
      >> standard?
      >> We at P6R provide JSON and XML tools (amoung others),
      >>but
      >> if the standard has restrictions on it then its not a
      >>real
      >> standard that we can use.
      >
      > Just to be clear: Stax API itself has little to do with
      >Json. It is a
      > Java xml processing API, and would be of little help for
      >Json. There's
      > no point in trying to implement it, due to fundamental
      >differences
      > between xml and json data formats.
      >
      > But similar style ("pull parsing") is useful.
      >
      > -+ Tatu +-

      -------------------------
      Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
      President and Secretary
      P6R, Inc.
      http://www.p6r.com
      408-205-0361
      Fax: 831-476-7490
      Skype: markjoseph_sc
      IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
      (AIM) mjoseph8888
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
        On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Mark Joseph <mark@...> wrote:
        > Ah I am sorry I was not clear we provide the JSON and XML
        > tools to C++ users not Java.
        > http://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/22/a-sax-like-parser-for-json/

        Ok that explains it. I shouldn't have assume it's for Java either.
        And it is true that for products that cover both xml and json, it is
        advantageous to use same or similar interfaces too. There are some
        java libraries that do something similar, such as jettison that
        exposes json through java xml interfaces (stax in this case).