Re: [json] Stoppable SAX-like interface for streaming input of JSON text

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
      On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:

      >> Maybe, but not necessarily, because this information if implicit
      >> within call stack (except for having to track end markers).
      >
      >> That is, it's a recursive-descent kind of approach where you know
      >> where you came from, usually without additional tracking of location.
      >> Code branches based on constructs encountered.
      >
      > Yes, it's convenient. But I think it may result in a call stack based processor instead of a heap based
      > one, right? The former will cause stack overflow issues in a deep nesting level. Here's a heap

      Yes, if your document has nesting level of about million or so. :-D
      So I don't think that is a practical concern.

      If it happens to be, then one can construct explicit stack, similar to
      how one has to do it with SAX-like interfaces.

      > based processor for building object graph with SAX-like interface:
      > http://code.google.com/p/json-simple/wiki/DecodingExamples#Example_6_-_Build_whole_object_graph_on_top_of_SAX-like_content

      Right: that builds "poor man's object binding", List/Map/primitive
      structure from Json.
      Most Json parsers offer that functionality via API, so it need not be
      built from low-level components (json.org and others).
      Code with pull API would be quite similar, although one could choose
      between recursion and iteration with explicit stack.

      -+ Tatu +-
    • Mark Joseph
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
        Ah I am sorry I was not clear we provide the JSON and XML
        tools to C++ users not Java.
        http://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/22/a-sax-like-parser-for-json/

        On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 19:10:21 -0800
        Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@...> wrote:
        > On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Mark Joseph
        ><mark@...> wrote:
        >> I was reading over the StAX specification and BEA
        >>provides
        >> licenses to the API, but that license prevents
        >> sublicenses. This means I as a vendor cannot provide my
        >> own implementation and license that to customers. So
        >>if
        >
        > I don't see why you would need a license to implement an
        >API.
        > Generally licensing governs usage of API itself,
        >distributing it, modifying etc.
        > None of those are usually needed, because Stax is part
        >of JDK 1.6.
        > Or you point users to download API jar itself from
        >whoever can provide it.
        >
        > Also: whatever stax specs download bundle claims is
        >probably incorrect.
        >
        > But yes, clearly BEA screwed up licensing mentions and
        >other parts.
        >
        >> I am reading that right what is the point of that
        >> standard?
        >> We at P6R provide JSON and XML tools (amoung others),
        >>but
        >> if the standard has restrictions on it then its not a
        >>real
        >> standard that we can use.
        >
        > Just to be clear: Stax API itself has little to do with
        >Json. It is a
        > Java xml processing API, and would be of little help for
        >Json. There's
        > no point in trying to implement it, due to fundamental
        >differences
        > between xml and json data formats.
        >
        > But similar style ("pull parsing") is useful.
        >
        > -+ Tatu +-

        -------------------------
        Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
        President and Secretary
        P6R, Inc.
        http://www.p6r.com
        408-205-0361
        Fax: 831-476-7490
        Skype: markjoseph_sc
        IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
        (AIM) mjoseph8888
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
          On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Mark Joseph <mark@...> wrote:
          > Ah I am sorry I was not clear we provide the JSON and XML
          > tools to C++ users not Java.
          > http://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/22/a-sax-like-parser-for-json/

          Ok that explains it. I shouldn't have assume it's for Java either.
          And it is true that for products that cover both xml and json, it is
          advantageous to use same or similar interfaces too. There are some
          java libraries that do something similar, such as jettison that
          exposes json through java xml interfaces (stax in this case).