Re: [json] Stoppable SAX-like interface for streaming input of JSON text

  • Mark Joseph
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
      I was reading over the StAX specification and BEA provides
      licenses to the API, but that license prevents
      sublicenses. This means I as a vendor cannot provide my
      own implementation and license that to customers. So if
      I am reading that right what is the point of that
      standard?
      We at P6R provide JSON and XML tools (amoung others), but
      if the standard has restrictions on it then its not a real
      standard that we can use.

      Mark
      P6R, Inc

      -------------------------
      Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
      President and Secretary
      P6R, Inc.
      http://www.p6r.com
      408-205-0361
      Fax: 831-476-7490
      Skype: markjoseph_sc
      IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
      (AIM) mjoseph8888
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
        On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Mark Joseph <mark@...> wrote:
        > I was reading over the StAX specification and BEA provides
        > licenses to the API, but that license prevents
        > sublicenses. This means I as a vendor cannot provide my
        > own implementation and license that to customers. So if

        I don't see why you would need a license to implement an API.
        Generally licensing governs usage of API itself, distributing it, modifying etc.
        None of those are usually needed, because Stax is part of JDK 1.6.
        Or you point users to download API jar itself from whoever can provide it.

        Also: whatever stax specs download bundle claims is probably incorrect.

        But yes, clearly BEA screwed up licensing mentions and other parts.

        > I am reading that right what is the point of that
        > standard?
        > We at P6R provide JSON and XML tools (amoung others), but
        > if the standard has restrictions on it then its not a real
        > standard that we can use.

        Just to be clear: Stax API itself has little to do with Json. It is a
        Java xml processing API, and would be of little help for Json. There's
        no point in trying to implement it, due to fundamental differences
        between xml and json data formats.

        But similar style ("pull parsing") is useful.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
          On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:

          >> Maybe, but not necessarily, because this information if implicit
          >> within call stack (except for having to track end markers).
          >
          >> That is, it's a recursive-descent kind of approach where you know
          >> where you came from, usually without additional tracking of location.
          >> Code branches based on constructs encountered.
          >
          > Yes, it's convenient. But I think it may result in a call stack based processor instead of a heap based
          > one, right? The former will cause stack overflow issues in a deep nesting level. Here's a heap

          Yes, if your document has nesting level of about million or so. :-D
          So I don't think that is a practical concern.

          If it happens to be, then one can construct explicit stack, similar to
          how one has to do it with SAX-like interfaces.

          > based processor for building object graph with SAX-like interface:
          > http://code.google.com/p/json-simple/wiki/DecodingExamples#Example_6_-_Build_whole_object_graph_on_top_of_SAX-like_content

          Right: that builds "poor man's object binding", List/Map/primitive
          structure from Json.
          Most Json parsers offer that functionality via API, so it need not be
          built from low-level components (json.org and others).
          Code with pull API would be quite similar, although one could choose
          between recursion and iteration with explicit stack.

          -+ Tatu +-
        • Mark Joseph
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
            Ah I am sorry I was not clear we provide the JSON and XML
            tools to C++ users not Java.
            http://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/22/a-sax-like-parser-for-json/

            On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 19:10:21 -0800
            Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@...> wrote:
            > On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Mark Joseph
            ><mark@...> wrote:
            >> I was reading over the StAX specification and BEA
            >>provides
            >> licenses to the API, but that license prevents
            >> sublicenses. This means I as a vendor cannot provide my
            >> own implementation and license that to customers. So
            >>if
            >
            > I don't see why you would need a license to implement an
            >API.
            > Generally licensing governs usage of API itself,
            >distributing it, modifying etc.
            > None of those are usually needed, because Stax is part
            >of JDK 1.6.
            > Or you point users to download API jar itself from
            >whoever can provide it.
            >
            > Also: whatever stax specs download bundle claims is
            >probably incorrect.
            >
            > But yes, clearly BEA screwed up licensing mentions and
            >other parts.
            >
            >> I am reading that right what is the point of that
            >> standard?
            >> We at P6R provide JSON and XML tools (amoung others),
            >>but
            >> if the standard has restrictions on it then its not a
            >>real
            >> standard that we can use.
            >
            > Just to be clear: Stax API itself has little to do with
            >Json. It is a
            > Java xml processing API, and would be of little help for
            >Json. There's
            > no point in trying to implement it, due to fundamental
            >differences
            > between xml and json data formats.
            >
            > But similar style ("pull parsing") is useful.
            >
            > -+ Tatu +-

            -------------------------
            Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
            President and Secretary
            P6R, Inc.
            http://www.p6r.com
            408-205-0361
            Fax: 831-476-7490
            Skype: markjoseph_sc
            IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
            (AIM) mjoseph8888
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
              On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Mark Joseph <mark@...> wrote:
              > Ah I am sorry I was not clear we provide the JSON and XML
              > tools to C++ users not Java.
              > http://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/22/a-sax-like-parser-for-json/

              Ok that explains it. I shouldn't have assume it's for Java either.
              And it is true that for products that cover both xml and json, it is
              advantageous to use same or similar interfaces too. There are some
              java libraries that do something similar, such as jettison that
              exposes json through java xml interfaces (stax in this case).