RE: [json] Re: VB implementation.

  • Atif Aziz
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
      Hi Matt,

      Ah, yes, I don't have Norton software on my PC so I did not get that
      warning on my machine when running the code I posted. I can see how this
      would a problem for some, and frankly, it was just to show how you can
      get up and running immediately with JSON in VB6 without investing too
      much time upfront. With proper encapsulation, you could always revisit
      the code and port it to a native implementation once you had the upper
      bits done, but I'm sure you are the better judge of how to approach the
      problem in your case. This could get a little off-topic, but my personal
      belief is that scripting security warnings are completely useless for
      most users and even administrators because they cannot make an informed
      decision about most of those warnings. The responsibility to inform,
      therefore, falls upon the application provider in the shape of README
      files (which are not really read that much anyhow) or making early tests
      at start-up. The latter approach allows one to tell the user or
      administrator that your software requires a particular technology that
      appears to have been blocked. This is happening today with ports and
      pop-ups in browser and so scripting in desktop applications does not
      appear to be an exception.

      Although you would not be able to pass native vb objects into a json
      format easily, it still would be very useful to be able to decode json
      into native variable types, and at at least be able to convert viable
      data formats into json.
      <<

      I totally agree. I just think that the lack of reflection and expando
      objects make it difficult to have such an implementation in VB6, but not
      impossible. I can imagine that CallByName for dynamic invocation of
      property accessors and TLBINF32.DLL for reflection would be your best
      friends here in a native implementation.

      - Atif