Re: [json] Re: VB implementation.

  • MPCM
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005
      I just tried that on my machine and it threw a lovely warning from
      Norton about Possible Malicious scripts running (standard error, not
      something actually malicious). I'm not thinking that this would be a
      viable option if in fact this happens for others as well.

      Although you would not be able to pass native vb objects into a json
      format easily, it still would be very useful to be able to decode json
      into native variable types, and at at least be able to convert viable
      data formats into json.

      I'm sure for most of us, it's meant to make getting data from json
      speaking platforms (usually web based) to our vb apps more easily, and
      sending light messages back.

      Otherwise we are just doing some type of delimiting ourselves anyway,
      so a standard format, even if it doesn't match fully, would still be
      useful. I'll post back sometime next week, as I think I will be able
      to put something together to do this.

      --
      Matt
    • Atif Aziz
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
        Hi Matt,

        Ah, yes, I don't have Norton software on my PC so I did not get that
        warning on my machine when running the code I posted. I can see how this
        would a problem for some, and frankly, it was just to show how you can
        get up and running immediately with JSON in VB6 without investing too
        much time upfront. With proper encapsulation, you could always revisit
        the code and port it to a native implementation once you had the upper
        bits done, but I'm sure you are the better judge of how to approach the
        problem in your case. This could get a little off-topic, but my personal
        belief is that scripting security warnings are completely useless for
        most users and even administrators because they cannot make an informed
        decision about most of those warnings. The responsibility to inform,
        therefore, falls upon the application provider in the shape of README
        files (which are not really read that much anyhow) or making early tests
        at start-up. The latter approach allows one to tell the user or
        administrator that your software requires a particular technology that
        appears to have been blocked. This is happening today with ports and
        pop-ups in browser and so scripting in desktop applications does not
        appear to be an exception.

        Although you would not be able to pass native vb objects into a json
        format easily, it still would be very useful to be able to decode json
        into native variable types, and at at least be able to convert viable
        data formats into json.
        <<

        I totally agree. I just think that the lack of reflection and expando
        objects make it difficult to have such an implementation in VB6, but not
        impossible. I can imagine that CallByName for dynamic invocation of
        property accessors and TLBINF32.DLL for reflection would be your best
        friends here in a native implementation.

        - Atif