Fwd: ES3.1 Draft: 07 Nov 2008 "Kona" version available

  • Mark S. Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2008
      The EcmaScript 3.1 draft standard is rapidly congealing towards an official
      standard. The Kona version at <
      http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=es3.1:es3.1_proposal_working_draft>
      is the important one -- details aside, the only remaining significant
      unsettled controversy is whether Decimal remains or is pulled from ES3.1.

      If you see any significant issues with the Kona version that need fixing,
      please give us your feedback now, or post to the es*-discuss lists. After
      the Nov 19/20 meeting, we are hoping to change only typos, bugs, and
      problems revealed by implementation efforts.

      We are quite proud of this draft. Given the maze of bizarre legacy
      compatibility constraints, I'm amazed at how well we've been able to improve
      on ES3. The JavaScript language is about to get a lot better.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2008
        On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights@...> wrote:
        > The EcmaScript 3.1 draft standard is rapidly congealing towards an official
        > standard. The Kona version at <
        > http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=es3.1:es3.1_proposal_working_draft>
        > is the important one -- details aside, the only remaining significant
        > unsettled controversy is whether Decimal remains or is pulled from ES3.1.
        >
        > If you see any significant issues with the Kona version that need fixing,
        > please give us your feedback now, or post to the es*-discuss lists. After
        > the Nov 19/20 meeting, we are hoping to change only typos, bugs, and
        > problems revealed by implementation efforts.
        >
        > We are quite proud of this draft. Given the maze of bizarre legacy
        > compatibility constraints, I'm amazed at how well we've been able to improve
        > on ES3. The JavaScript language is about to get a lot better.

        Hear, hear!

        Peter
      • John Cowan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
          Mark S. Miller scripsit:

          > If you see any significant issues with the Kona version that need fixing,
          > please give us your feedback now, or post to the es*-discuss lists.

          Two versions are given, PDF and DOC. Only the PDF is useful to me
          because of the revision marks in the margin. But it's full of red print,
          which is damnably hard to read. When I printed it on a b/w printer, it
          became dim gray, which combined with the font was even harder to read,
          if possible. Please print a true b/w PDF version, and have mercy on
          these 50-year-old eyes.

          --
          John Cowan cowan@... http://ccil.org/~cowan
          If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2008
            Mark S. Miller scripsit:

            > If you see any significant issues with the Kona version that need fixing,
            > please give us your feedback now, or post to the es*-discuss lists. After
            > the Nov 19/20 meeting, we are hoping to change only typos, bugs, and
            > problems revealed by implementation efforts.

            Postfix ++ and -- are defined identically the same way as prefix --
            and ++; they all are said to return the incremented (decremented) value.

            Since it is said that multiplication is not associative, the use of the
            YACC-style left-recursive syntax rule implies that it is left-associative,
            but it would be as well to say so. And is the same not true of addition?

            References to Unicode 2.0 (there's one at the end of 11.9.3, and may be
            others) should be updated.

            --
            John Cowan cowan@...
            "You need a change: try Canada" "You need a change: try China"