timedate format

  • Vlad
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2008
      Colleagues,

      We are planning to use JSON to distribute diverse data to
      heterogeneous clients - mostly scripters in JavaScript, Python, Ruby,
      and C#. One of the unresolved questions we have is passing timedate
      objects. Among our goals is to make data use the easiest possible in
      all these environments. I know, that the reference implementation has
      appropriate examples. However, they are JavaScript specific and
      provide strings for client parsing, which is considered burdensome.
      Are there any best practices or suggestions among JSON implementers on
      a structured way to pass timedate data?

      Thank you!
      Vlad.
    • John Cowan
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2008
        Vlad scripsit:

        > Are there any best practices or suggestions among JSON implementers on
        > a structured way to pass timedate data?

        Timestamps are in my opinion too trivial to be worth structuring.
        The fixed string format of RFC 3339 are not burdensome to parse: they look
        like "2008-09-04T11:41:00-04:00", meaning September 4th, 2009 at 11:41,
        with an offset from Universal Time of negative 4 hours zero minutes.
        The "T" is a fixed separator (it can also be "t") between the date and
        the time. If you are using Universal Time (also called UTC and GMT)
        in all cases (which I recommend), you may replace "+00:00" with "Z".

        The only other option is that if the timestamp has sub-second precision,
        the normal two digits of the seconds field may be supplemented by a
        decimal point and as many more digits as you need.

        --
        John Cowan cowan@... http://ccil.org/~cowan
        I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2008
          John,

          Thank you! I guess, we will have to wrap json into our own parser to
          return date objects as such in target languages.

          Vlad.