Re: [json] Building a UI using Json Input

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2008
      On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:31 AM, jyothsna1_n <jyothsna1_n@...>wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am new user of JSON.
      > Now I have a requirement to build a UI using a JSON output that I get
      > by calling a webservice.
      >
      > What would be the free and best UI framework to use for this purpose?

      There is no "best" framework / toolkit. It depends entirely on your
      requirements. Just about any framework can consume JSON these days, so you
      need to look at what you are trying to do, and the context in which you are
      trying to do it. Some things to think about:

      * Do you want to use (old-style) server-side rendering or a browser-side
      application?
      * Are the web services SOAP-based or REST-based?
      * What are the skill sets of your developers?

      There are many, many other factors - these are just a few of the important
      ones to start with.

      > I heard GWT would achieve this, but I havent used GWT either, so it
      > would be great if you suggest me some options.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jyotsna

    • jyothsna1_n
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2008
        Thanks for the reply.
        The webservices are REST based and they give a JSON output.
        What would be the skillset required to do this?
        As this is in the start phase and so we are planning to do a
        serverside rendering but it has not been finalised.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2008
          On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:10 AM, jyothsna1_n <jyothsna1_n@...>wrote:

          > Thanks for the reply.
          > The webservices are REST based and they give a JSON output.
          > What would be the skillset required to do this?

          Look, *you* need to think deeply about your needs. Nobody on this list is
          going to be able to give you a silver-bullet answer, because there isn't
          one.

          With what you say above, you haven't narrowed it down at all. You can use
          JSON from just about any language and framework you can think of. I could
          tell you to write it in Flex; someone else could tell you to use Dojo, or
          Struts, or .NET. And we would all be "right", based on the amount of
          information you are providing.

          Do some research. Spend some time with Google, but before that, spend a
          *lot* of time thinking about your project. Only you can answer the
          questions.