Json - Is the best choice for my requirement

  • sprakash_it
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2008
      Requirement:

      Have a list of 500 country data

      COUNTRY

      COUNTRY CODE

      COUNTRY TAX CODE

      COUNTRY TAX YEAR

      The user selects a country from an online form, and the corresponding
      JS variables get populated, with the country related fields.

      Will JSON solve this purpose. What are CONS?

      1. Are there good tutorials around JSON?

      2. I have heard about Security, what should a novice do?

      Please give your expert help.
    • Philip Tellis
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2008
        2008/7/30 sprakash_it <prakash123@...>:
        > Have a list of 500 country data
        >
        > COUNTRY
        > COUNTRY CODE
        > COUNTRY TAX CODE
        > COUNTRY TAX YEAR
        >
        > The user selects a country from an online form, and the corresponding
        > JS variables get populated, with the country related fields.
        >
        > Will JSON solve this purpose. What are CONS?

        As far as javascript is concerned, JSON is as good as a regular
        object, so your data would be something like this:

        var data = [
        { "country": "USA", "country_code": "US", "country_tax_code": 123,
        "country_tax_year": "01-12"},
        { "country": "India", "country_code": "IN", "country_tax_code":
        234, "country_tax_year": "04-03"},
        ];

        so when the user selects something from the form, you iterate through
        the list, and get the corresponding object out (assume the selected
        country is stored in the variable ccode):

        var info=null;
        for(var i=0; i<data.length; i++)
        {
        if(data[i]["country_code"] == ccode)
        {
        info = data[i];
        break;

        or maybe something like this:

        var data = {
        "US": { "country": "USA", "country_code": "US", "country_tax_code":
        123, "country_tax_year": "01-12"},
        "IN": { "country": "India", "country_code": "IN",
        "country_tax_code": 234, "country_tax_year": "04-03"},
        };

        so when the user selects a country from the list, you can just do this:

        var info = data[ccode];

        Then you can access any of your information like this:

        var tax_code = info["country_tax_code"];

        Hope this helps.

        Philip