Re: [json] Re: org.json.JSONML.java

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 25, 2008
      On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Stephen M. McKamey <jsonml@...> wrote:
      > I definitely agree. XML w/o namespaces is virtually useless these
      > days.

      Me three. Most recent xml parsers have started dropping support for
      non-namespace documents, too, essentially considering XML Namespaces
      to be integral part of core xml processing.

      Of course, I really hope that the current craze of trying to use json
      via xml tools will die soon and we will have good "native" json
      processing systems above parser/generator level; but until then
      conversions should be done properly.

      -+ Tatu +-
    • Atif Aziz
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 25, 2008
        > XML w/o namespaces is virtually useless these days.
        > Ignoring or dropping namespaces is not a good idea.

        Definitely. I wasn't trying to question the merits of namespaces. My point was pretty much what you stated more clearly here:

        > There is nothing about the format of JsonML that inhibits
        > namespaces.

        An encoder can quite "dumbly" format an XML document into JsonML without explicitly dealing with namespaces (provided that the XML API provides access to the QName and does not hide so-designated namespace declarations when you enumerate over attributes) and no information would be lost. In this sense, the encoder is acting like a pass-through and simply mapping XML nodes into JSON values as per JsonML transformation rules. All that would matter is that the input XML is well-formed though not necessarily valid. This should answer the question raised earlier, "So is that expansion done in JSONML?" The expansion is not and does not need to be done in the encoded JsonML.

        A decoder implementation, on the other hand, has two API choices. Either it can directly support the abstractions introduced by XML namespaces via its API or it can delegate that work to a downstream and existing XML API. It's a detail of the implementation rather than the format.

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
          I'd like some clarification: the tagName/childNodes syntax is the key
          difference between Stephen's JSONML and my alternative, JSoda
          <http://jsoda.info/ <http://jsoda.info/> >. In fact, your "Object Form"
          example is a perfect example of a JSoda object. Was this intentional,
          or a coincidence? Intentional or not, I'd prefer that you didn't refer
          to such syntax as JSONML, since the lack of such syntax is the sole
          reason why I created JSoda. To my knowledge, JSoda predates this new
          "Object Form". If that's true, I'd appreciate compliance with the JSoda
          license: <http://jsoda.info/License <http://jsoda.info/License> >. I'll
          eat my hat before I let JSoda be referred to as JSONML.

          To give some background, I posted JSoda last year as an alternative to
          JSONML. As I have been using it over the last year, I have realized
          that JSONML has a smaller size than JSoda, and so is more fit for
          storage or transmission. Actually, the end result of the realization
          was that XHTML is much smaller than either, so I use it for storage of
          DOM representations.

          However, I still feel that JSoda's syntax is much more suited as a
          format for a DOM builder than JSONML, because of the use of the tagName
          and childNodes properties, leading to (in my opinion) a much more
          intuitively nested XHTML representation.

          Read more about how to use JSoda as a format for a DOM builder here:
          <http://jsoda.info/Object.toDOM <http://jsoda.info/Object.toDOM> >, and
          about JSoda syntax here: <http://jsoda.info/JSoda+is#simple

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle Alan Hale" <kylealanhale@...> wrote:

            > I'd like some clarification: the tagName/childNodes syntax is the key
            > difference between Stephen's JSONML and my alternative, JSoda
            > <http://jsoda.info/ <http://jsoda.info/> >. In fact, your "Object Form"
            > example is a perfect example of a JSoda object. Was this intentional,
            > or a coincidence? Intentional or not, I'd prefer that you didn't refer
            > to such syntax as JSONML, since the lack of such syntax is the sole
            > reason why I created JSoda. To my knowledge, JSoda predates this new
            > "Object Form". If that's true, I'd appreciate compliance with the JSoda
            > license: <http://jsoda.info/License <http://jsoda.info/License> >. I'll
            > eat my hat before I let JSoda be referred to as JSONML.

            The similarity between JSONML Object Form and JSoda is completely
            coincidental.

            Your jsoda license it limited to the use of your code. I am not using
            your code. I have never looked at your code. If you had secured a
            trademark on JSoda, you might be able to control the way people can
            use the term. There is no way you can compel anyone to use your term.

            What you do with your hat is your business.
          • Stephen M. McKamey
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
              Kyle,

              I think it is important to note that what we are trying to do here is
              foster innovation and build upon each other's ideas to produce a
              better set of tools to perform our projects and day jobs. If it is
              just your hope to get famous by bashing others, good luck to you.
              (However, I suggest you beware of going against Crockford!)

              JSoda may suit your needs but it didn't meet some of the requirements
              which went into the design of JsonML. (In fact the first couple
              revisions of the JsonML grammar looked nearly identical.) JsonML
              isn't limited to purely XHTML, even though it does that very well. It
              is meant to be a round-trip-able format between valid JSON and any
              valid XML fragment. Key considerations were two-way conversion and
              compactness of form.

              JsonML *wasn't* meant to be the way that everything that *could* be
              expressed in XML *should* be expressed in JSON. This is the point
              that I believe Crockford was stating when he started this thread.
              Both "object form", as Crockford calls it, and JsonML ("document
              form") are useful for different purposes. Just because you've named
              an obvious object model doesn't necessarily mean people will jump out
              of their seats to use it.

              I hope that this makes the situation clearer,
              Stephen

              BTW, I think Noam Chomsky
              (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chomsky_hierarchy) would have an issue
              with your "Not a Language!"
              (http://jsoda.info/JSoda+is#not+a+language) argument. Formal Language
              / Automata Theory doesn't limit the use of the word "language" to mean
              "programming language". As such, JSON and JsonML are both languages
              with explicit grammars. Off topic, but this bugs me every time I
              click over to your site to remind myself what JSoda is.

            • Fang Yidong
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                Why JSoda? No way to me ... :-)

                --
                JSON: Action in AJAX!

                JSON - http://www.json.org

                雅虎邮箱,您的终生邮箱!
                http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Kyle Alan Hale
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                  Point(s) well taken. Especially the idea of applying Chomskyan
                  classifications to these subsets. However, some further clarifications:

                  * I neither want to "get famous" nor bash others, especially Doug. I
                  agree that we're all here to build upon each others' ideas to more
                  effectively solve our day-to-day problems.
                  * The goal of JSoda is to provide a syntax that JsonML lacks. To
                  paraphrase you: JsonML may suit your needs but it didn't meet some of
                  the requirements which went into the design of JSoda.
                  * Doug was mistaken about the terms of the licensing; it also covers
                  the documentation, which includes the syntax. As Doug made quite
                  clear, I have no real control over the use of JSoda; in fact, the
                  license clearly promotes the free use and implementation of these
                  ideas. One can't protect an idea, only a product. However, it should
                  be noted that intellectual property laws are effective whether
                  registered or not, and ignorance of pre-existing intellectual property
                  does not exempt one from those laws.

                  My only goal in responding to Doug's original post was to clarify that
                  his Object Form isn't JsonML, as your site will confirm with its
                  very clear grammar form. If it is to be an alternate syntax for
                  JsonML, then let's make it that way, officially, and I'll swallow my
                  hat. In that case, I offer a ready-to-go DOM builder for the
                  JsonML/JSoda syntax: http://jsoda.info/JSoda.toDOM

                  In the mean time, I'll update http://jsoda.info/ to reflect your point
                  on these subsets as languages, and to trim other unnecessary fluff,
                  including anything that could be construed as bashing. I like to
                  write in a fairly relaxed style, but I can see how some points on the
                  site could be misconstrued. I apologize for that.