Re: org.json.JSONML.java

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 23, 2008
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:
      > Just so I understand your stuff resolves the XML
      > namespace prefix (like "P6R:tagName") to the URI
      > "http://www.p6r...:tagName", right? Because the URI is
      > the real
      > namespace name.

      It transforms <P6R:tagName> into {"tagName":"P6R:tagName"} or
      ["P6R:tagName"] and back.
    • Mark Joseph
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 24, 2008
        Sorry I am just not getting this. The prefix, in my
        example is "P6R", but the prefix needs to be replaced by
        its matching URI. So the "P6R:tagName" in an XML
        processor
        gets replaced as "URI:tagName" since the prefix is not
        really important. So is that expansion done in JSONML?

        Best,
        Mark

        On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 05:35:53 -0000
        "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@...> wrote:
        > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...>
        >wrote:
        >> Just so I understand your stuff resolves the XML
        >> namespace prefix (like "P6R:tagName") to the URI
        >> "http://www.p6r...:tagName", right? Because the URI is
        >> the real
        >> namespace name.
        >
        > It transforms <P6R:tagName> into
        >{"tagName":"P6R:tagName"} or
        > ["P6R:tagName"] and back.

        -------------------------
        Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
        President and Secretary
        P6R, Inc.
        http://www.p6r.com
        408-205-0361
        Fax: 831-476-7490
        Skype: markjoseph_sc
        IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
        (AIM) mjoseph8888
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 24, 2008
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:
          > The prefix, in my
          > example is "P6R", but the prefix needs to be replaced by
          > its matching URI. So the "P6R:tagName" in an XML
          > processor
          > gets replaced as "URI:tagName" since the prefix is not
          > really important. So is that expansion done in JSONML?

          If you need that transformation, you should do the replacement before
          calling JSONML. I don't understand why you would want to encode JSON
          names with the URI form.
        • Stephen M. McKamey
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 24, 2008
            The reasoning for the URI form is that the prefix form is only an
            alias
            for the URI form. The prefix alias can be made to be anything
            whereas
            the true namespace is the URI. Therefore to actually encode the
            entire
            namespaced tag or attribute name (without the associated namespace
            lookup context) it would need to include the full URI rather than the
            prefix.

            > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@> wrote:
            > > The prefix, in my
            > > example is "P6R", but the prefix needs to be replaced by
            > > its matching URI. So the "P6R:tagName" in an XML
            > > processor
            > > gets replaced as "URI:tagName" since the prefix is not
            > > really important. So is that expansion done in JSONML?
            >
            > If you need that transformation, you should do the replacement
            before
            > calling JSONML. I don't understand why you would want to encode JSON
            > names with the URI form.

          • Atif Aziz
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 24, 2008
              Like XML 1.0, JsonML does not need to care about namespaces. In XML 1.0, a colon (:) is a perfectly valid character in the element name. XML namespaces is nothing more than a standardized convention and interpretation of element and attributes names. Some XML parsers allow you to turn namespace handling on or off. Likewise, a JsonML encoder can look at XML without any regard for namespaces though the story could vary for a decoder. Here's an example. Suppose the following XML:

              <root xmlns:ns1="http://www.example.com/ns1"
              xmlns:ns2="http://www.example.com/ns2">
              <child />
              <ns1:child />
              <ns2:child />
              </root>

              In JsoML, this would become:

              [
              "root",
              {
              "xmlns:ns1": "http://www.example.com/ns1",
              "xmlns:ns2": "http://www.example.com/ns2"
              },
              ["child"],
              ["ns1:child"],
              ["ns2:child"]
              ]

              A JsonML decoder can decide to deliver the element and attribute names verbatim without any special interpretation of colon (:) in JSON object member names. If the user cares about URI + local name then he or she can put/pipe the XML delivered by the JsonML decoder through an XML parser implementation that will interpret and expose those properties. That's the approach Jayrock currently takes:

              http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/jayrock/trunk/src/Jayrock.Json/JsonML/JsonMLEncoder.cs
              http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/jayrock/trunk/src/Jayrock.Json/JsonML/JsonMLDecoder.cs

              - Atif

              Sorry I am just not getting this. The prefix, in my
              example is "P6R", but the prefix needs to be replaced by
              its matching URI. So the "P6R:tagName" in an XML
              processor
              gets replaced as "URI:tagName" since the prefix is not
              really important. So is that expansion done in JSONML?

              Best,
              Mark

              On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 05:35:53 -0000
              "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@...> wrote:
              > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...>
              >wrote:
              >> Just so I understand your stuff resolves the XML
              >> namespace prefix (like "P6R:tagName") to the URI
              >> "http://www.p6r...:tagName", right? Because the URI is
              >> the real
              >> namespace name.
              >
              > It transforms <P6R:tagName> into
              >{"tagName":"P6R:tagName"} or
              > ["P6R:tagName"] and back.

              -------------------------
              Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
              President and Secretary
              P6R, Inc.
              http://www.p6r.com
              408-205-0361
              Fax: 831-476-7490
              Skype: markjoseph_sc
              IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
              (AIM) mjoseph8888
            • Mark Joseph
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 25, 2008
                So when I read the original email about JSONML it was so
                that any XML document could be encoded. And sorry
                without namespaces that is not going to work very well.
                Any XML tool, and we build several, that does not support
                namespaces these days is not going to be used by anyone
                doing serious work. So I suggest that the JSON group does
                not ignore namespaces but figures out how to deal with
                them,

                Best,
                Mark
                P6R, Inc

                -------------------------
                Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                President and Secretary
                P6R, Inc.
                http://www.p6r.com
                408-205-0361
                Fax: 831-476-7490
                Skype: markjoseph_sc
                IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
                (AIM) mjoseph8888
              • Stephen M. McKamey
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 25, 2008
                  I definitely agree. XML w/o namespaces is virtually useless these
                  days.

                  There is nothing about the format of JsonML that inhibits
                  namespaces. Implementations either need to support some storage of
                  the prefix/namespace aliasing (as Atif is showing) or be able to
                  resolve the namespaces and use the fully qualified node names (as
                  Mark is asking for). It seems that both are valid, just as they are
                  in XML.

                  Ignoring or dropping namespaces is not a good idea.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 25, 2008
                    On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Stephen M. McKamey <jsonml@...> wrote:
                    > I definitely agree. XML w/o namespaces is virtually useless these
                    > days.

                    Me three. Most recent xml parsers have started dropping support for
                    non-namespace documents, too, essentially considering XML Namespaces
                    to be integral part of core xml processing.

                    Of course, I really hope that the current craze of trying to use json
                    via xml tools will die soon and we will have good "native" json
                    processing systems above parser/generator level; but until then
                    conversions should be done properly.

                    -+ Tatu +-
                  • Atif Aziz
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 25, 2008
                      > XML w/o namespaces is virtually useless these days.
                      > Ignoring or dropping namespaces is not a good idea.

                      Definitely. I wasn't trying to question the merits of namespaces. My point was pretty much what you stated more clearly here:

                      > There is nothing about the format of JsonML that inhibits
                      > namespaces.

                      An encoder can quite "dumbly" format an XML document into JsonML without explicitly dealing with namespaces (provided that the XML API provides access to the QName and does not hide so-designated namespace declarations when you enumerate over attributes) and no information would be lost. In this sense, the encoder is acting like a pass-through and simply mapping XML nodes into JSON values as per JsonML transformation rules. All that would matter is that the input XML is well-formed though not necessarily valid. This should answer the question raised earlier, "So is that expansion done in JSONML?" The expansion is not and does not need to be done in the encoded JsonML.

                      A decoder implementation, on the other hand, has two API choices. Either it can directly support the abstractions introduced by XML namespaces via its API or it can delegate that work to a downstream and existing XML API. It's a detail of the implementation rather than the format.

> [...]

                      > > <ns2:child />
                      > > </root>
                      > >
                      > > In JsoML, this would become:
                      > >
                      > > [
                      > > "root",
                      > > {
                      > > "xmlns:ns1": "http://www.example.com/ns1",
                      > > "xmlns:ns2": "http://www.example.com/ns2"
                      > > },
                      > > ["child"],
                      > > ["ns1:child"],
                      > > ["ns2:child"]
                      > > ]
                      > >
                      > > A JsonML decoder can decide to deliver the element and
                      > >attribute names verbatim without any special
                      > >interpretation of colon (:) in JSON object member names.
                      > >If the user cares about URI + local name then he or she
                      > >can put/pipe the XML delivered by the JsonML decoder
                      > >through an XML parser implementation that will interpret
                      > >and expose those properties. That's the approach Jayrock

                    • Kyle Alan Hale
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                        I'd like some clarification: the tagName/childNodes syntax is the key
                        difference between Stephen's JSONML and my alternative, JSoda
                        <http://jsoda.info/ <http://jsoda.info/> >. In fact, your "Object Form"
                        example is a perfect example of a JSoda object. Was this intentional,
                        or a coincidence? Intentional or not, I'd prefer that you didn't refer
                        to such syntax as JSONML, since the lack of such syntax is the sole
                        reason why I created JSoda. To my knowledge, JSoda predates this new
                        "Object Form". If that's true, I'd appreciate compliance with the JSoda
                        license: <http://jsoda.info/License <http://jsoda.info/License> >. I'll
                        eat my hat before I let JSoda be referred to as JSONML.

                        To give some background, I posted JSoda last year as an alternative to
                        JSONML. As I have been using it over the last year, I have realized
                        that JSONML has a smaller size than JSoda, and so is more fit for
                        storage or transmission. Actually, the end result of the realization
                        was that XHTML is much smaller than either, so I use it for storage of
                        DOM representations.

                        However, I still feel that JSoda's syntax is much more suited as a
                        format for a DOM builder than JSONML, because of the use of the tagName
                        and childNodes properties, leading to (in my opinion) a much more
                        intuitively nested XHTML representation.

                        Read more about how to use JSoda as a format for a DOM builder here:
                        <http://jsoda.info/Object.toDOM <http://jsoda.info/Object.toDOM> >, and
                        about JSoda syntax here: <http://jsoda.info/JSoda+is#simple

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle Alan Hale" <kylealanhale@...> wrote:

                          > I'd like some clarification: the tagName/childNodes syntax is the key
                          > difference between Stephen's JSONML and my alternative, JSoda
                          > <http://jsoda.info/ <http://jsoda.info/> >. In fact, your "Object Form"
                          > example is a perfect example of a JSoda object. Was this intentional,
                          > or a coincidence? Intentional or not, I'd prefer that you didn't refer
                          > to such syntax as JSONML, since the lack of such syntax is the sole
                          > reason why I created JSoda. To my knowledge, JSoda predates this new
                          > "Object Form". If that's true, I'd appreciate compliance with the JSoda
                          > license: <http://jsoda.info/License <http://jsoda.info/License> >. I'll
                          > eat my hat before I let JSoda be referred to as JSONML.

                          The similarity between JSONML Object Form and JSoda is completely
                          coincidental.

                          Your jsoda license it limited to the use of your code. I am not using
                          your code. I have never looked at your code. If you had secured a
                          trademark on JSoda, you might be able to control the way people can
                          use the term. There is no way you can compel anyone to use your term.

                          What you do with your hat is your business.
                        • Stephen M. McKamey
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                            Kyle,

                            I think it is important to note that what we are trying to do here is
                            foster innovation and build upon each other's ideas to produce a
                            better set of tools to perform our projects and day jobs. If it is
                            just your hope to get famous by bashing others, good luck to you.
                            (However, I suggest you beware of going against Crockford!)

                            JSoda may suit your needs but it didn't meet some of the requirements
                            which went into the design of JsonML. (In fact the first couple
                            revisions of the JsonML grammar looked nearly identical.) JsonML
                            isn't limited to purely XHTML, even though it does that very well. It
                            is meant to be a round-trip-able format between valid JSON and any
                            valid XML fragment. Key considerations were two-way conversion and
                            compactness of form.

                            JsonML *wasn't* meant to be the way that everything that *could* be
                            expressed in XML *should* be expressed in JSON. This is the point
                            that I believe Crockford was stating when he started this thread.
                            Both "object form", as Crockford calls it, and JsonML ("document
                            form") are useful for different purposes. Just because you've named
                            an obvious object model doesn't necessarily mean people will jump out
                            of their seats to use it.

                            I hope that this makes the situation clearer,
                            Stephen

                            BTW, I think Noam Chomsky
                            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chomsky_hierarchy) would have an issue
                            with your "Not a Language!"
                            (http://jsoda.info/JSoda+is#not+a+language) argument. Formal Language
                            / Automata Theory doesn't limit the use of the word "language" to mean
                            "programming language". As such, JSON and JsonML are both languages
                            with explicit grammars. Off topic, but this bugs me every time I
                            click over to your site to remind myself what JSoda is.

                          • Fang Yidong
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                              Why JSoda? No way to me ... :-)

                              --
                              JSON: Action in AJAX!

                              JSON - http://www.json.org

                              雅虎邮箱,您的终生邮箱!
                              http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/
                            • Kyle Alan Hale
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                                Point(s) well taken. Especially the idea of applying Chomskyan
                                classifications to these subsets. However, some further clarifications:

                                * I neither want to "get famous" nor bash others, especially Doug. I
                                agree that we're all here to build upon each others' ideas to more
                                effectively solve our day-to-day problems.
                                * The goal of JSoda is to provide a syntax that JsonML lacks. To
                                paraphrase you: JsonML may suit your needs but it didn't meet some of
                                the requirements which went into the design of JSoda.
                                * Doug was mistaken about the terms of the licensing; it also covers
                                the documentation, which includes the syntax. As Doug made quite
                                clear, I have no real control over the use of JSoda; in fact, the
                                license clearly promotes the free use and implementation of these
                                ideas. One can't protect an idea, only a product. However, it should
                                be noted that intellectual property laws are effective whether
                                registered or not, and ignorance of pre-existing intellectual property
                                does not exempt one from those laws.

                                My only goal in responding to Doug's original post was to clarify that
                                his Object Form isn't JsonML, as your site will confirm with its
                                very clear grammar form. If it is to be an alternate syntax for
                                JsonML, then let's make it that way, officially, and I'll swallow my
                                hat. In that case, I offer a ready-to-go DOM builder for the
                                JsonML/JSoda syntax: http://jsoda.info/JSoda.toDOM

                                In the mean time, I'll update http://jsoda.info/ to reflect your point
                                on these subsets as languages, and to trim other unnecessary fluff,
                                including anything that could be construed as bashing. I like to
                                write in a fairly relaxed style, but I can see how some points on the
                                site could be misconstrued. I apologize for that.