Re: [json] org.json.JSONML.java

  • Mark Joseph
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 22, 2008
      How do you deal with XML namespaces?
      Remember namespaces can appear for the node name and for
      the attributes of a node.

      Best,
      Mark
      P6R, Inc

      -------------------------
      Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
      President and Secretary
      P6R, Inc.
      http://www.p6r.com
      408-205-0361
      Fax: 831-476-7490
      Skype: markjoseph_sc
      IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
      (AIM) mjoseph8888
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 22, 2008
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:
        > How do you deal with XML namespaces?

        The text in the tagNames and attribute names is quoted.
      • Mark Joseph
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 23, 2008
          Just so I understand your stuff resolves the XML
          namespace prefix (like "P6R:tagName") to the URI
          "http://www.p6r...:tagName", right? Because the URI is
          the real
          namespace name.

          Best,
          Mark

          On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:18:04 -0000

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 23, 2008
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:
            > Just so I understand your stuff resolves the XML
            > namespace prefix (like "P6R:tagName") to the URI
            > "http://www.p6r...:tagName", right? Because the URI is
            > the real
            > namespace name.

            It transforms <P6R:tagName> into {"tagName":"P6R:tagName"} or
            ["P6R:tagName"] and back.
          • Mark Joseph
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 24, 2008
              Sorry I am just not getting this. The prefix, in my
              example is "P6R", but the prefix needs to be replaced by
              its matching URI. So the "P6R:tagName" in an XML
              processor
              gets replaced as "URI:tagName" since the prefix is not
              really important. So is that expansion done in JSONML?

              Best,
              Mark

              On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 05:35:53 -0000
              "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@...> wrote:
              > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...>
              >wrote:
              >> Just so I understand your stuff resolves the XML
              >> namespace prefix (like "P6R:tagName") to the URI
              >> "http://www.p6r...:tagName", right? Because the URI is
              >> the real
              >> namespace name.
              >
              > It transforms <P6R:tagName> into
              >{"tagName":"P6R:tagName"} or
              > ["P6R:tagName"] and back.

              -------------------------
              Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
              President and Secretary
              P6R, Inc.
              http://www.p6r.com
              408-205-0361
              Fax: 831-476-7490
              Skype: markjoseph_sc
              IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
              (AIM) mjoseph8888
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 24, 2008
                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...> wrote:
                > The prefix, in my
                > example is "P6R", but the prefix needs to be replaced by
                > its matching URI. So the "P6R:tagName" in an XML
                > processor
                > gets replaced as "URI:tagName" since the prefix is not
                > really important. So is that expansion done in JSONML?

                If you need that transformation, you should do the replacement before
                calling JSONML. I don't understand why you would want to encode JSON
                names with the URI form.
              • Stephen M. McKamey
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 24, 2008
                  The reasoning for the URI form is that the prefix form is only an
                  alias
                  for the URI form. The prefix alias can be made to be anything
                  whereas
                  the true namespace is the URI. Therefore to actually encode the
                  entire
                  namespaced tag or attribute name (without the associated namespace
                  lookup context) it would need to include the full URI rather than the
                  prefix.

                  > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@> wrote:
                  > > The prefix, in my
                  > > example is "P6R", but the prefix needs to be replaced by
                  > > its matching URI. So the "P6R:tagName" in an XML
                  > > processor
                  > > gets replaced as "URI:tagName" since the prefix is not
                  > > really important. So is that expansion done in JSONML?
                  >
                  > If you need that transformation, you should do the replacement
                  before
                  > calling JSONML. I don't understand why you would want to encode JSON
                  > names with the URI form.

                • Atif Aziz
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 24, 2008
                    Like XML 1.0, JsonML does not need to care about namespaces. In XML 1.0, a colon (:) is a perfectly valid character in the element name. XML namespaces is nothing more than a standardized convention and interpretation of element and attributes names. Some XML parsers allow you to turn namespace handling on or off. Likewise, a JsonML encoder can look at XML without any regard for namespaces though the story could vary for a decoder. Here's an example. Suppose the following XML:

                    <root xmlns:ns1="http://www.example.com/ns1"
                    xmlns:ns2="http://www.example.com/ns2">
                    <child />
                    <ns1:child />
                    <ns2:child />
                    </root>

                    In JsoML, this would become:

                    [
                    "root",
                    {
                    "xmlns:ns1": "http://www.example.com/ns1",
                    "xmlns:ns2": "http://www.example.com/ns2"
                    },
                    ["child"],
                    ["ns1:child"],
                    ["ns2:child"]
                    ]

                    A JsonML decoder can decide to deliver the element and attribute names verbatim without any special interpretation of colon (:) in JSON object member names. If the user cares about URI + local name then he or she can put/pipe the XML delivered by the JsonML decoder through an XML parser implementation that will interpret and expose those properties. That's the approach Jayrock currently takes:

                    http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/jayrock/trunk/src/Jayrock.Json/JsonML/JsonMLEncoder.cs
                    http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/jayrock/trunk/src/Jayrock.Json/JsonML/JsonMLDecoder.cs

                    - Atif

                    Sorry I am just not getting this. The prefix, in my
                    example is "P6R", but the prefix needs to be replaced by
                    its matching URI. So the "P6R:tagName" in an XML
                    processor
                    gets replaced as "URI:tagName" since the prefix is not
                    really important. So is that expansion done in JSONML?

                    Best,
                    Mark

                    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 05:35:53 -0000
                    "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@...> wrote:
                    > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Joseph" <mark@...>
                    >wrote:
                    >> Just so I understand your stuff resolves the XML
                    >> namespace prefix (like "P6R:tagName") to the URI
                    >> "http://www.p6r...:tagName", right? Because the URI is
                    >> the real
                    >> namespace name.
                    >
                    > It transforms <P6R:tagName> into
                    >{"tagName":"P6R:tagName"} or
                    > ["P6R:tagName"] and back.

                    -------------------------
                    Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                    President and Secretary
                    P6R, Inc.
                    http://www.p6r.com
                    408-205-0361
                    Fax: 831-476-7490
                    Skype: markjoseph_sc
                    IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
                    (AIM) mjoseph8888
                  • Mark Joseph
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 25, 2008
                      So when I read the original email about JSONML it was so
                      that any XML document could be encoded. And sorry
                      without namespaces that is not going to work very well.
                      Any XML tool, and we build several, that does not support
                      namespaces these days is not going to be used by anyone
                      doing serious work. So I suggest that the JSON group does
                      not ignore namespaces but figures out how to deal with
                      them,

                      Best,
                      Mark
                      P6R, Inc

                      -------------------------
                      Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                      President and Secretary
                      P6R, Inc.
                      http://www.p6r.com
                      408-205-0361
                      Fax: 831-476-7490
                      Skype: markjoseph_sc
                      IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
                      (AIM) mjoseph8888
                    • Stephen M. McKamey
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 25, 2008
                        I definitely agree. XML w/o namespaces is virtually useless these
                        days.

                        There is nothing about the format of JsonML that inhibits
                        namespaces. Implementations either need to support some storage of
                        the prefix/namespace aliasing (as Atif is showing) or be able to
                        resolve the namespaces and use the fully qualified node names (as
                        Mark is asking for). It seems that both are valid, just as they are
                        in XML.

                        Ignoring or dropping namespaces is not a good idea.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 25, 2008
                          On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Stephen M. McKamey <jsonml@...> wrote:
                          > I definitely agree. XML w/o namespaces is virtually useless these
                          > days.

                          Me three. Most recent xml parsers have started dropping support for
                          non-namespace documents, too, essentially considering XML Namespaces
                          to be integral part of core xml processing.

                          Of course, I really hope that the current craze of trying to use json
                          via xml tools will die soon and we will have good "native" json
                          processing systems above parser/generator level; but until then
                          conversions should be done properly.

                          -+ Tatu +-
                        • Atif Aziz
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 25, 2008
                            > XML w/o namespaces is virtually useless these days.
                            > Ignoring or dropping namespaces is not a good idea.

                            Definitely. I wasn't trying to question the merits of namespaces. My point was pretty much what you stated more clearly here:

                            > There is nothing about the format of JsonML that inhibits
                            > namespaces.

                            An encoder can quite "dumbly" format an XML document into JsonML without explicitly dealing with namespaces (provided that the XML API provides access to the QName and does not hide so-designated namespace declarations when you enumerate over attributes) and no information would be lost. In this sense, the encoder is acting like a pass-through and simply mapping XML nodes into JSON values as per JsonML transformation rules. All that would matter is that the input XML is well-formed though not necessarily valid. This should answer the question raised earlier, "So is that expansion done in JSONML?" The expansion is not and does not need to be done in the encoded JsonML.

                            A decoder implementation, on the other hand, has two API choices. Either it can directly support the abstractions introduced by XML namespaces via its API or it can delegate that work to a downstream and existing XML API. It's a detail of the implementation rather than the format.

> [...]

                            > > <ns2:child />
                            > > </root>
                            > >
                            > > In JsoML, this would become:
                            > >
                            > > [
                            > > "root",
                            > > {
                            > > "xmlns:ns1": "http://www.example.com/ns1",
                            > > "xmlns:ns2": "http://www.example.com/ns2"
                            > > },
                            > > ["child"],
                            > > ["ns1:child"],
                            > > ["ns2:child"]
                            > > ]
                            > >
                            > > A JsonML decoder can decide to deliver the element and
                            > >attribute names verbatim without any special
                            > >interpretation of colon (:) in JSON object member names.
                            > >If the user cares about URI + local name then he or she
                            > >can put/pipe the XML delivered by the JsonML decoder
                            > >through an XML parser implementation that will interpret
                            > >and expose those properties. That's the approach Jayrock

                          • Kyle Alan Hale
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                              I'd like some clarification: the tagName/childNodes syntax is the key
                              difference between Stephen's JSONML and my alternative, JSoda
                              <http://jsoda.info/ <http://jsoda.info/> >. In fact, your "Object Form"
                              example is a perfect example of a JSoda object. Was this intentional,
                              or a coincidence? Intentional or not, I'd prefer that you didn't refer
                              to such syntax as JSONML, since the lack of such syntax is the sole
                              reason why I created JSoda. To my knowledge, JSoda predates this new
                              "Object Form". If that's true, I'd appreciate compliance with the JSoda
                              license: <http://jsoda.info/License <http://jsoda.info/License> >. I'll
                              eat my hat before I let JSoda be referred to as JSONML.

                              To give some background, I posted JSoda last year as an alternative to
                              JSONML. As I have been using it over the last year, I have realized
                              that JSONML has a smaller size than JSoda, and so is more fit for
                              storage or transmission. Actually, the end result of the realization
                              was that XHTML is much smaller than either, so I use it for storage of
                              DOM representations.

                              However, I still feel that JSoda's syntax is much more suited as a
                              format for a DOM builder than JSONML, because of the use of the tagName
                              and childNodes properties, leading to (in my opinion) a much more
                              intuitively nested XHTML representation.

                              Read more about how to use JSoda as a format for a DOM builder here:
                              <http://jsoda.info/Object.toDOM <http://jsoda.info/Object.toDOM> >, and
                              about JSoda syntax here: <http://jsoda.info/JSoda+is#simple

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle Alan Hale" <kylealanhale@...> wrote:

                                > I'd like some clarification: the tagName/childNodes syntax is the key
                                > difference between Stephen's JSONML and my alternative, JSoda
                                > <http://jsoda.info/ <http://jsoda.info/> >. In fact, your "Object Form"
                                > example is a perfect example of a JSoda object. Was this intentional,
                                > or a coincidence? Intentional or not, I'd prefer that you didn't refer
                                > to such syntax as JSONML, since the lack of such syntax is the sole
                                > reason why I created JSoda. To my knowledge, JSoda predates this new
                                > "Object Form". If that's true, I'd appreciate compliance with the JSoda
                                > license: <http://jsoda.info/License <http://jsoda.info/License> >. I'll
                                > eat my hat before I let JSoda be referred to as JSONML.

                                The similarity between JSONML Object Form and JSoda is completely
                                coincidental.

                                Your jsoda license it limited to the use of your code. I am not using
                                your code. I have never looked at your code. If you had secured a
                                trademark on JSoda, you might be able to control the way people can
                                use the term. There is no way you can compel anyone to use your term.

                                What you do with your hat is your business.
                              • Stephen M. McKamey
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                                  Kyle,

                                  I think it is important to note that what we are trying to do here is
                                  foster innovation and build upon each other's ideas to produce a
                                  better set of tools to perform our projects and day jobs. If it is
                                  just your hope to get famous by bashing others, good luck to you.
                                  (However, I suggest you beware of going against Crockford!)

                                  JSoda may suit your needs but it didn't meet some of the requirements
                                  which went into the design of JsonML. (In fact the first couple
                                  revisions of the JsonML grammar looked nearly identical.) JsonML
                                  isn't limited to purely XHTML, even though it does that very well. It
                                  is meant to be a round-trip-able format between valid JSON and any
                                  valid XML fragment. Key considerations were two-way conversion and
                                  compactness of form.

                                  JsonML *wasn't* meant to be the way that everything that *could* be
                                  expressed in XML *should* be expressed in JSON. This is the point
                                  that I believe Crockford was stating when he started this thread.
                                  Both "object form", as Crockford calls it, and JsonML ("document
                                  form") are useful for different purposes. Just because you've named
                                  an obvious object model doesn't necessarily mean people will jump out
                                  of their seats to use it.

                                  I hope that this makes the situation clearer,
                                  Stephen

                                  BTW, I think Noam Chomsky
                                  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chomsky_hierarchy) would have an issue
                                  with your "Not a Language!"
                                  (http://jsoda.info/JSoda+is#not+a+language) argument. Formal Language
                                  / Automata Theory doesn't limit the use of the word "language" to mean
                                  "programming language". As such, JSON and JsonML are both languages
                                  with explicit grammars. Off topic, but this bugs me every time I
                                  click over to your site to remind myself what JSoda is.

                                • Fang Yidong
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                                    Why JSoda? No way to me ... :-)

                                    --
                                    JSON: Action in AJAX!

                                    JSON - http://www.json.org

                                    雅虎邮箱,您的终生邮箱!
                                    http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/
                                  • Kyle Alan Hale
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                                      Point(s) well taken. Especially the idea of applying Chomskyan
                                      classifications to these subsets. However, some further clarifications:

                                      * I neither want to "get famous" nor bash others, especially Doug. I
                                      agree that we're all here to build upon each others' ideas to more
                                      effectively solve our day-to-day problems.
                                      * The goal of JSoda is to provide a syntax that JsonML lacks. To
                                      paraphrase you: JsonML may suit your needs but it didn't meet some of
                                      the requirements which went into the design of JSoda.
                                      * Doug was mistaken about the terms of the licensing; it also covers
                                      the documentation, which includes the syntax. As Doug made quite
                                      clear, I have no real control over the use of JSoda; in fact, the
                                      license clearly promotes the free use and implementation of these
                                      ideas. One can't protect an idea, only a product. However, it should
                                      be noted that intellectual property laws are effective whether
                                      registered or not, and ignorance of pre-existing intellectual property
                                      does not exempt one from those laws.

                                      My only goal in responding to Doug's original post was to clarify that
                                      his Object Form isn't JsonML, as your site will confirm with its
                                      very clear grammar form. If it is to be an alternate syntax for
                                      JsonML, then let's make it that way, officially, and I'll swallow my
                                      hat. In that case, I offer a ready-to-go DOM builder for the
                                      JsonML/JSoda syntax: http://jsoda.info/JSoda.toDOM

                                      In the mean time, I'll update http://jsoda.info/ to reflect your point
                                      on these subsets as languages, and to trim other unnecessary fluff,
                                      including anything that could be construed as bashing. I like to
                                      write in a fairly relaxed style, but I can see how some points on the
                                      site could be misconstrued. I apologize for that.