Re: [json] JSON Conference

  • Mark Joseph
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
      > If a JSON conference was to materialise, though, I would
      >hope that everyone
      > would do their best to disabuse attendees of the notion
      >that it has any
      > serious ties to JavaScript (in contrast to an earlier
      >post suggesting that
      > the conference be expanded to include other subsets of
      >JavaScript), since,
      > if anything is holding back adoption, it's the
      >assumption that it's tied to
      > the JavaScript language.

      I agree with this. JSON has lots of other applications
      than just Javascript. Our customers want support for
      JSON in C++ applications.

      Best,

      -------------------------
      Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
      President and Secretary
      P6R, Inc.
      http://www.p6r.com
      408-205-0361
      Fax: 831-476-7490
      Skype: markjoseph_sc
      IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
      (AIM) mjoseph8888
    • Fang Yidong
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
        Yes. It's really important to JSON.

        --
        JSON: Action in AJAX!

        JSON - http://www.json.org

        雅虎邮箱,您的终生邮箱!
        http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Kombo Morongo
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
          Yes, I would be interested in attending.

          An about some comments regarding endless repetition of use cases, I believe
          the problem could be solved by someone (presumably you Douglas) presenting
          an agenda of possible topics where people interested in exposing their job
          could apply for each topic.

          By proceeding in this way, if no one applies for most of the topics, may be
          there is not enough material as to celebrate the conference. If there are
          too many people for the same topic, some filtering could be required (as
          evaluation of a written version of the presentation by a small team leadered
          by you). In both cases you could keep conference content complete enough as
          to be interesting for anybody related with the technology and avoid
          monotonous repetition on the same subject.

          Regards,

          2008/7/7 Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

          > Would you be interested in attending and possibly presenting at a JSON
          > Conference? Is there broad enough interest in JSON to justify an event?

        • Matthew Morley
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
            I think there would be enough interest, and I would try to attend.

            A lot of us are using JSON in production today, so I think you would have to
            find interesting presentations on the topic to garner attendants. The
            downside of it being so simple to use, is that we are already using it in
            all sorts of places. It would really have to be about good usage examples
            and interesting roles for it. An online show case might serve the same goal,
            minus the face to face...

            --
            Matthew P. C. Morley

          • plexium_nerd
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
              I would be very interested. I love hearing about new applications and
              tools of JSON since it's my data transportation/storage of choice.

              > Would you be interested in attending and possibly presenting at a JSON
              > Conference? Is there broad enough interest in JSON to justify an event?

            • Phil Gibbs

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                  I'd be interested in both attending and possibly presenting.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                    hi john,

                    your server side implementation of JSONRequest combined with a js
                    library that wrapped client side technologies (browserplus, gears,
                    flash, etc) could perhaps make JSONRequest a reality in the short
                    term... meet you at the conference?

                    lloyd

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Gibbs" <randomnoise@...> wrote:
                      > It appears there's enough support for a conference.

                      Yes, there is interest. I am thinking to hold the conference in
                      California, perhaps in San Francisco or San Jose.

                      So the planning begins. What is your estimate of the number of people
                      who will attend?
                    • Ask Bjørn Hansen
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                        On Jul 8, 2008, at 10:37, Douglas Crockford wrote:

                        > So the planning begins. What is your estimate of the number of people
                        > who will attend?

                        It really depends on more details of what sort of talks will be there.

                        JSON itself is boring. Novel ways to use it are interesting.

                        - ask

                      • Matthew Morley
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 9, 2008
                          Anything non-east coast mostly kills it for me, especially with the on going
                          issues of air travel. But I know I'm in the minority here.

                          Hopefully if something comes about, it'll be recorded and put online for
                          those who cannot make it. : )

                          --
                          Matthew P. C. Morley

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                            I am thinking that we should invite presenters for these tracks:

                            * Ajax Applications

                            * Enterprise JSON

                            * JSON Databases

                            * Super JSON (formats and protocols that build on or diverge from JSON)

                            * JSON and The Big Picture (Historical and Larger Technological Context)

                            Should we plan on other categories?
                          • Kris Zyp
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                              These look like good topics to me, but just some thoughts: Maybe "JSON on the web", to cover issues more specific to the JSON in the browser environment like security, (de-)serialization, and the ease of use of JSON in JS...

                              Also maybe more descriptive, and less superlative: "Super JSON" -> "JSON-based formats and protocols"

                              Kris

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 12, 2008
                                I enjoyed the superlative. Why stuffy things up? The world is far
                                too stuffy as it is.

                              • rkmr.em@gmail.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                                  what happened to this conference?
                                  was this held?

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                                    --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "rkmr.em@..." <rkmr.em@...> wrote:

                                    > what happened to this conference?
                                    > was this held?

                                    It is still in the planning stage.
                                  • Ric Johnson
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 3, 2008
                                      Doug,

                                      If you are looking for help or sponsors, please feel free to contact
                                      me. As you know, I am VERY interested in supporting jsON. If you are
                                      looking for technical, then I would ask you contact Kris Zyp, as he is
                                      the real expert on http://jsOn.Com

                                      Ric
                                      OpenDomain