Re: JSON Conference

  • jddefn
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
      Yes!

      (I implemented server-side support for JSON and JSONRequest in mod_ndb, and I'd especially
      like the chance to talk with people working on the browser and client side...)

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
        Oh, I think there's plenty of interest in JSON. What I wonder is if there's
        enough material, without the conference devolving into a set of use case
        presentations (nothing wrong with use cases, but a conference full of them
        wouldn't be interesting to me) and / or presentations on a never-ending
        series of "me too" JSON implementations.

        If a JSON conference was to materialise, though, I would hope that everyone
        would do their best to disabuse attendees of the notion that it has any
        serious ties to JavaScript (in contrast to an earlier post suggesting that
        the conference be expanded to include other subsets of JavaScript), since,
        if anything is holding back adoption, it's the assumption that it's tied to
        the JavaScript language.

        On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>
        wrote:

        > Would you be interested in attending and possibly presenting at a JSON
        > Conference? Is there broad enough interest in JSON to justify an event?

      • Mark Joseph
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
          > If a JSON conference was to materialise, though, I would
          >hope that everyone
          > would do their best to disabuse attendees of the notion
          >that it has any
          > serious ties to JavaScript (in contrast to an earlier
          >post suggesting that
          > the conference be expanded to include other subsets of
          >JavaScript), since,
          > if anything is holding back adoption, it's the
          >assumption that it's tied to
          > the JavaScript language.

          I agree with this. JSON has lots of other applications
          than just Javascript. Our customers want support for
          JSON in C++ applications.

          Best,

          -------------------------
          Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
          President and Secretary
          P6R, Inc.
          http://www.p6r.com
          408-205-0361
          Fax: 831-476-7490
          Skype: markjoseph_sc
          IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
          (AIM) mjoseph8888
        • Fang Yidong
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
            Yes. It's really important to JSON.

            --
            JSON: Action in AJAX!

            JSON - http://www.json.org

            雅虎邮箱,您的终生邮箱!
            http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Kombo Morongo
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
              Yes, I would be interested in attending.

              An about some comments regarding endless repetition of use cases, I believe
              the problem could be solved by someone (presumably you Douglas) presenting
              an agenda of possible topics where people interested in exposing their job
              could apply for each topic.

              By proceeding in this way, if no one applies for most of the topics, may be
              there is not enough material as to celebrate the conference. If there are
              too many people for the same topic, some filtering could be required (as
              evaluation of a written version of the presentation by a small team leadered
              by you). In both cases you could keep conference content complete enough as
              to be interesting for anybody related with the technology and avoid
              monotonous repetition on the same subject.

              Regards,

              2008/7/7 Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

              > Would you be interested in attending and possibly presenting at a JSON
              > Conference? Is there broad enough interest in JSON to justify an event?

            • Matthew Morley
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                I think there would be enough interest, and I would try to attend.

                A lot of us are using JSON in production today, so I think you would have to
                find interesting presentations on the topic to garner attendants. The
                downside of it being so simple to use, is that we are already using it in
                all sorts of places. It would really have to be about good usage examples
                and interesting roles for it. An online show case might serve the same goal,
                minus the face to face...

                --
                Matthew P. C. Morley

              • plexium_nerd
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                  I would be very interested. I love hearing about new applications and
                  tools of JSON since it's my data transportation/storage of choice.

                  > Would you be interested in attending and possibly presenting at a JSON
                  > Conference? Is there broad enough interest in JSON to justify an event?

                • Phil Gibbs

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                      I'd be interested in both attending and possibly presenting.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                        hi john,

                        your server side implementation of JSONRequest combined with a js
                        library that wrapped client side technologies (browserplus, gears,
                        flash, etc) could perhaps make JSONRequest a reality in the short
                        term... meet you at the conference?

                        lloyd

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Gibbs" <randomnoise@...> wrote:
                          > It appears there's enough support for a conference.

                          Yes, there is interest. I am thinking to hold the conference in
                          California, perhaps in San Francisco or San Jose.

                          So the planning begins. What is your estimate of the number of people
                          who will attend?
                        • Ask Bjørn Hansen
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                            On Jul 8, 2008, at 10:37, Douglas Crockford wrote:

                            > So the planning begins. What is your estimate of the number of people
                            > who will attend?

                            It really depends on more details of what sort of talks will be there.

                            JSON itself is boring. Novel ways to use it are interesting.

                            - ask

                          • Matthew Morley
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 9, 2008
                              Anything non-east coast mostly kills it for me, especially with the on going
                              issues of air travel. But I know I'm in the minority here.

                              Hopefully if something comes about, it'll be recorded and put online for
                              those who cannot make it. : )

                              --
                              Matthew P. C. Morley

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                                I am thinking that we should invite presenters for these tracks:

                                * Ajax Applications

                                * Enterprise JSON

                                * JSON Databases

                                * Super JSON (formats and protocols that build on or diverge from JSON)

                                * JSON and The Big Picture (Historical and Larger Technological Context)

                                Should we plan on other categories?
                              • Kris Zyp
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                                  These look like good topics to me, but just some thoughts: Maybe "JSON on the web", to cover issues more specific to the JSON in the browser environment like security, (de-)serialization, and the ease of use of JSON in JS...

                                  Also maybe more descriptive, and less superlative: "Super JSON" -> "JSON-based formats and protocols"

                                  Kris

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 12, 2008
                                    I enjoyed the superlative. Why stuffy things up? The world is far
                                    too stuffy as it is.

                                  • rkmr.em@gmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                                      what happened to this conference?
                                      was this held?

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                                        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "rkmr.em@..." <rkmr.em@...> wrote:

                                        > what happened to this conference?
                                        > was this held?

                                        It is still in the planning stage.
                                      • Ric Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 3, 2008
                                          Doug,

                                          If you are looking for help or sponsors, please feel free to contact
                                          me. As you know, I am VERY interested in supporting jsON. If you are
                                          looking for technical, then I would ask you contact Kris Zyp, as he is
                                          the real expert on http://jsOn.Com

                                          Ric
                                          OpenDomain