Re: [json] JSON Conference

  • Mark Joseph
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
      I would be interested in both attending and presenting.

      Best,
      Mark
      P6R. Inc

      On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 19:15:10 -0000
      "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@...> wrote:
      > Would you be interested in attending and possibly
      >presenting at a JSON
      > Conference? Is there broad enough interest in JSON to
      >justify an event?

      -------------------------
      Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
      President and Secretary
      P6R, Inc.
      http://www.p6r.com
      408-205-0361
      Fax: 831-476-7490
      Skype: markjoseph_sc
      IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
      (AIM) mjoseph8888
    • Mark S. Miller
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
        On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Douglas Crockford
        <douglas@...> wrote:
        > Would you be interested in attending and possibly presenting at a JSON
        > Conference? Is there broad enough interest in JSON to justify an event?

        How about if we broaden the agenda to "Safe subsets of JavaScript"? In
        addition to JSON itself, there are quite a lot of language experiments
        currently attempting to define safe subsets: ADsafe, Caja/Cajita,
        FBJS, Jacaranda, Capsol/dojox.secure.

        --
        Cheers,
        --MarkM
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
          Yes!

          (I implemented server-side support for JSON and JSONRequest in mod_ndb, and I'd especially
          like the chance to talk with people working on the browser and client side...)

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
            Oh, I think there's plenty of interest in JSON. What I wonder is if there's
            enough material, without the conference devolving into a set of use case
            presentations (nothing wrong with use cases, but a conference full of them
            wouldn't be interesting to me) and / or presentations on a never-ending
            series of "me too" JSON implementations.

            If a JSON conference was to materialise, though, I would hope that everyone
            would do their best to disabuse attendees of the notion that it has any
            serious ties to JavaScript (in contrast to an earlier post suggesting that
            the conference be expanded to include other subsets of JavaScript), since,
            if anything is holding back adoption, it's the assumption that it's tied to
            the JavaScript language.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
              > If a JSON conference was to materialise, though, I would
              >hope that everyone
              > would do their best to disabuse attendees of the notion
              >that it has any
              > serious ties to JavaScript (in contrast to an earlier
              >post suggesting that
              > the conference be expanded to include other subsets of
              >JavaScript), since,
              > if anything is holding back adoption, it's the
              >assumption that it's tied to
              > the JavaScript language.

              I agree with this. JSON has lots of other applications
              than just Javascript. Our customers want support for
              JSON in C++ applications.

              Best,

              -------------------------
              Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
              President and Secretary
              P6R, Inc.
              http://www.p6r.com
              408-205-0361
              Fax: 831-476-7490
              Skype: markjoseph_sc
              IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
              (AIM) mjoseph8888
            • Fang Yidong
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                Yes. It's really important to JSON.

                --
                JSON: Action in AJAX!

                JSON - http://www.json.org

                雅虎邮箱,您的终生邮箱!
                http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Kombo Morongo
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                  Yes, I would be interested in attending.

                  An about some comments regarding endless repetition of use cases, I believe
                  the problem could be solved by someone (presumably you Douglas) presenting
                  an agenda of possible topics where people interested in exposing their job
                  could apply for each topic.

                  By proceeding in this way, if no one applies for most of the topics, may be
                  there is not enough material as to celebrate the conference. If there are
                  too many people for the same topic, some filtering could be required (as
                  evaluation of a written version of the presentation by a small team leadered
                  by you). In both cases you could keep conference content complete enough as
                  to be interesting for anybody related with the technology and avoid
                  monotonous repetition on the same subject.

                  Regards,

                  2008/7/7 Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

                  > Would you be interested in attending and possibly presenting at a JSON
                  > Conference? Is there broad enough interest in JSON to justify an event?

                • Matthew Morley
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                    I think there would be enough interest, and I would try to attend.

                    A lot of us are using JSON in production today, so I think you would have to
                    find interesting presentations on the topic to garner attendants. The
                    downside of it being so simple to use, is that we are already using it in
                    all sorts of places. It would really have to be about good usage examples
                    and interesting roles for it. An online show case might serve the same goal,
                    minus the face to face...

                    --
                    Matthew P. C. Morley

                  • plexium_nerd
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                      I would be very interested. I love hearing about new applications and
                      tools of JSON since it's my data transportation/storage of choice.

                      > Would you be interested in attending and possibly presenting at a JSON
                      > Conference? Is there broad enough interest in JSON to justify an event?

                    • Phil Gibbs

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                          I'd be interested in both attending and possibly presenting.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                            hi john,

                            your server side implementation of JSONRequest combined with a js
                            library that wrapped client side technologies (browserplus, gears,
                            flash, etc) could perhaps make JSONRequest a reality in the short
                            term... meet you at the conference?

                            lloyd

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Gibbs" <randomnoise@...> wrote:
                              > It appears there's enough support for a conference.

                              Yes, there is interest. I am thinking to hold the conference in
                              California, perhaps in San Francisco or San Jose.

                              So the planning begins. What is your estimate of the number of people
                              who will attend?
                            • Ask Bjørn Hansen
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 8, 2008
                                On Jul 8, 2008, at 10:37, Douglas Crockford wrote:

                                > So the planning begins. What is your estimate of the number of people
                                > who will attend?

                                It really depends on more details of what sort of talks will be there.

                                JSON itself is boring. Novel ways to use it are interesting.

                                - ask

                              • Matthew Morley
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 9, 2008
                                  Anything non-east coast mostly kills it for me, especially with the on going
                                  issues of air travel. But I know I'm in the minority here.

                                  Hopefully if something comes about, it'll be recorded and put online for
                                  those who cannot make it. : )

                                  --
                                  Matthew P. C. Morley

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                                    I am thinking that we should invite presenters for these tracks:

                                    * Ajax Applications

                                    * Enterprise JSON

                                    * JSON Databases

                                    * Super JSON (formats and protocols that build on or diverge from JSON)

                                    * JSON and The Big Picture (Historical and Larger Technological Context)

                                    Should we plan on other categories?
                                  • Kris Zyp
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                                      These look like good topics to me, but just some thoughts: Maybe "JSON on the web", to cover issues more specific to the JSON in the browser environment like security, (de-)serialization, and the ease of use of JSON in JS...

                                      Also maybe more descriptive, and less superlative: "Super JSON" -> "JSON-based formats and protocols"

                                      Kris

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 12, 2008
                                        I enjoyed the superlative. Why stuffy things up? The world is far
                                        too stuffy as it is.

                                      • rkmr.em@gmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 1 7:15 PM
                                          what happened to this conference?
                                          was this held?

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 1 7:33 PM
                                            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "rkmr.em@..." <rkmr.em@...> wrote:

                                            > what happened to this conference?
                                            > was this held?

                                            It is still in the planning stage.
                                          • Ric Johnson
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 3 5:46 AM
                                              Doug,

                                              If you are looking for help or sponsors, please feel free to contact
                                              me. As you know, I am VERY interested in supporting jsON. If you are
                                              looking for technical, then I would ask you contact Kris Zyp, as he is
                                              the real expert on http://jsOn.Com

                                              Ric
                                              OpenDomain