Re: [json] Re: JSON syntax grammar is missing 'undefined' literal value

    Message 1 of 19 , May 27 9:46 AM
      How about moving security-related discussion to another thread or group?

      And with regards to adding keyword 'undefined' to json, I would be
      strongly against adding any such language-specific keywords. As a
      non-javascript-user of json I would find it a rather silly and useless
      addition. Json's goals are not, as far as I understand, to be
      javascript(-only) serialization format, but rather serve as a
      minimalistic generalized object notation.

      -+ Tatu +-

      On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Shelby Moore <shelby@...> wrote:
      >> Douglas Crockford wrote:
      >> > As a name, it is implemented as a writable global
      >> > variable, a feature with alarming security and reliability
      >> > consequences.
      >
      > On further thought, this is not any more a security concern, than
      > JavaScript (or the web page) itself. Agreed, it should be made
      > read-only to prevent against non-malicious untended modification.
      >
      > There is no security in any JavaScript, because rogue code can change
      > any user code. The entire current concept of browser security is
      > conceptually flawed, and the solution is as follows:
      >
      > http://www.coolpage.com/commentary/economic/shelby/security.html
      >
      > The only trustable web page is the one where ALL referents (resources)
      > come from a trusted source. Security is fundamentally trust.
      > Increasing granularity of trust, decreases security conflicts. I give
      > a proposal using sub-frames to segregate private data from the rest of
      > the web page.

    • Greg Patnude
      Message 2 of 19 , May 27 10:19 AM
        I've been following this particular thread with some interest --

        Most modern programming languages HAVE defined "undefined" --
        Undefined is NOT 0 and NOT 1, and NOT 'null' AND NOT 'not null', and
        NOT true and NOT false... Bottom line: undefined is actually defined
        as something that is NOT DEFINED...

        As far as JSON goes -- by definition: it is "JavaScript Object
        Notation" -- so -- on the technical definition -- JSON is in fact a
        "JavaScript-ONLY" object notation mechanism. The great thing about
        JSON is that it is pretty much generalized -- there are
        implementations in a ton of different languages.

        I have thought for a long time that there probably ought to be a
        strict "generalized object-notation" group [GONF ? Generalized Object
        Notation Format ???].

        An underlying issue with JSON is the name itself -- because JSON is
        so versatile, has support in a multitude of languages, and 100%
        flexible [I use it for many things including: server-server
        communication in lieu of serialized objects, client-server
        communication, browser-server [Web 2.x]] --

        I use JSON everywhere: even when not using a JavaScript client or web
        browser -- that is the beauty of it...

        Maybe it is time to think about how big JSON really is and how
        completely useful it is as a high-speed data transfer mechanism and
        re-consider the name -- it ain't just plain ol' JavaScript anymore...
        It REALLY IS a multi-purpose, multi-platform data interchange and
        transmission format. Maybe it shuld be called something more
        appropriate to it's function.

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Tatu Saloranta" <tsaloranta@...> wrote:

        > How about moving security-related discussion to another thread or
        group?

        > And with regards to adding keyword 'undefined' to json, I would be
        > strongly against adding any such language-specific keywords. As a
        > non-javascript-user of json I would find it a rather silly and
        useless
        > addition. Json's goals are not, as far as I understand, to be
        > javascript(-only) serialization format, but rather serve as a
        > minimalistic generalized object notation.
        >
        > -+ Tatu +-

        > > On further thought, this is not any more a security concern, than
        > > JavaScript (or the web page) itself. Agreed, it should be made
        > > read-only to prevent against non-malicious untended modification.
        > >
        > > There is no security in any JavaScript, because rogue code can
        change
        > > any user code. The entire current concept of browser security is
        > > conceptually flawed, and the solution is as follows:
        > >
        > > http://www.coolpage.com/commentary/economic/shelby/security.html
        > >
        > > The only trustable web page is the one where ALL referents
        (resources)
        > > come from a trusted source. Security is fundamentally trust.
        > > Increasing granularity of trust, decreases security conflicts. I
        give
        > > a proposal using sub-frames to segregate private data from the
        rest of
        > > the web page.

      • Mark Joseph
        Message 3 of 19 , May 27 10:30 AM
          I agree with this totally. And frankly I am finding the
          current discussion a bit boring and a waste of time.

          Best,
          Mark
          P6R, Inc

          On Tue, 27 May 2008 09:46:23 -0700

          -------------------------
          Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
          President and Secretary
          P6R, Inc.
          http://www.p6r.com
          408-205-0361
          Fax: 831-476-7490
          Skype: markjoseph_sc
          IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
          (AIM) mjoseph8888
        • Michal Migurski
          Message 4 of 19 , May 27 10:43 AM
            Agree++.

            Shelby, when you've got a next-generation semantic web 3.0 mashup demo
            that desperately needs "undefined", we'll be able to see whether it's
            a useful concept. Until then, I agree with Douglas that it's a waste
            of energy to pull it in to JSON.

            FWIW, I can see how the decision to include "javascript" in the JSON
            name is leading to a mountain of confusion, but I've always seen the
            format as a way to interop between a variety of languages and
            platforms. "Undefined" would really muddy those waters.

            -mike.

          • Gregg Irwin
            Message 5 of 19 , May 27 10:48 AM
              Hi Greg,

              GP> As far as JSON goes -- by definition: it is "JavaScript Object
              GP> Notation" -- so -- on the technical definition -- JSON is in fact a
              GP> "JavaScript-ONLY" object notation mechanism.

              I've never interpreted it that way. I always took the JS part to mean
              that JSON's syntax was based on JavaScript's syntax, which gives you
              context (and a nice acronym :). From what I've read, JSON is meant to
              be language independent. If they change the JS/ECMA standard to
              something that doesn't support that goal, JSON won't work well with
              its namesake.

              On undefined, I don't think JSON needs it, even if some languages have
              it. In my language of choice, as with some others, dealing with
              undefined can make for more work, and not much more value (IMO). If
              it's undefined, why is it there? Not to say it's never useful, but it
              doesn't seem crucial in an object notation like JSON.

              Ironically, it would probably be easier for me to add undefined/unset
              support to the JSON module for REBOL (my language of choice) than it
              is to support strings as keys in objects (which it can't, really).

              --Gregg
            • John Cowan
              Message 6 of 19 , May 27 10:59 AM
                Greg Patnude scripsit:

                > Most modern programming languages HAVE defined "undefined" --
                > Undefined is NOT 0 and NOT 1, and NOT 'null' AND NOT 'not null', and
                > NOT true and NOT false... Bottom line: undefined is actually defined
                > as something that is NOT DEFINED...

                "Not code. Not name. Not mind. Not things. Always changing, yet never changing."

                > As far as JSON goes -- by definition: it is "JavaScript Object
                > Notation" -- so -- on the technical definition -- JSON is in fact a
                > "JavaScript-ONLY" object notation mechanism.

                A cocky novice once said to Stallman: "I can guess why the editor
                is called Emacs, but why is the justifier called Bolio?" Stallman
                replied forcefully, "Names are but names. 'Emack & Bolio's' is the
                name of a popular ice cream shop in Boston-town. Neither of these men
                had anything to do with the software."

                His question answered, yet unanswered, the novice turned to go,
                but Stallman called to him: "Neither Emack nor Bolio had anything
                to do with the ice cream shop, either."

                This koan is called the "ice cream koan".

                --
                John Cowan cowan@... http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
                Thor Heyerdahl recounts his attempt to prove Rudyard Kipling's theory
                Message 7 of 19 , May 27 4:48 PM
                  On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Greg Patnude <gpatnude@...> wrote:
                  > Most modern programming languages HAVE defined "undefined" --
                  > Undefined is NOT 0 and NOT 1, and NOT 'null' AND NOT 'not null', and
                  > NOT true and NOT false... Bottom line: undefined is actually defined
                  > as something that is NOT DEFINED...

                  I don't think it's true for most (modern) programming languages;
                  although it may be true for most _scripting_ languages. This is
                  different from, say, null, which has a counterpart in about any
                  language including c and c++ (unlike someone claimed earlier).

                  > As far as JSON goes -- by definition: it is "JavaScript Object
                  > Notation" -- so -- on the technical definition -- JSON is in fact a
                  > "JavaScript-ONLY" object notation mechanism. The great thing about

                  Not really: you can not derive semantics from etymology. Names are
                  just names and like you mention, they can lead to intuitive yet
                  incorrect guesses.

                  To understand goals, one could consult the author... and Doug has
                  already pointed out his view on the matter.

                  Additionally reading the JSON RFC, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt
                  one can find:

                  "JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) is a lightweight, text-based,
                  language-independent data interchange format"

                  Nowhere does it say anything about coupling with Javascript.
                  My understanding is that just JS syntax was used. In a funny way makes
                  sense: JavaScript has little to do with Java, beyond syntax; and
                  similarly JSON just took syntax from Javascript (or, from Java, if you
                  will).

                  Apologies for prolonging this flogging of a dead horse,

                  -+ Tatu +-
                • Shelby Moore
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 27 11:46 PM
                    Thanks to all that replied to my prior post. This is my reply to you all.

                    1) Undefined is essential in languages that treat identifiers as hash
                    keys of an object (i.e. modern dynamic scripting languages). Static
                    identifier languages, can simulate dynamic identifiers with a hash
                    collection class.

                    2) Afair, K&R (ANSI) C did not have null, only void*. In K&R (ANSI) C,
                    void is not valid in a conditional nor assignment expression, and
                    identifiers are not dynamically constructed and typed.

                    3) Undefined is a critical primitive in any hash object data
                    structure, that supports inheritance. I already explained my logic in
                    prior post.

                    This will all become more obvious to you all, as someone actually
                    brings real world application of Semantic Web to reality.

                    4) I agree with Douglas not to modify the JSON standard specification,
                    but rather to usurp it (JSON+ or whatever it may be called) if the
                    market shall be so. I believe in de facto (competing) standards, not
                    in centrally managed ones, which is one of the main motivations of the
                    development I am working on. I believe in a million points of light
                    competing. I believe in freedom and liberty.

                    Okay enough talk from me. Your comments have encouraged me. Thanks
                    very much to all. And best wishes to all as well.
                  • doug furcht
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 28 9:43 AM
                      Mark thinks it's boring... we should all move on.

                      "Tatu Saloranta" <tsaloranta@gmail. com> wrote:
                      > How about moving security-related discussion to another
                      >thread or group?
                      >
                      > And with regards to adding keyword 'undefined' to json,
                      >I would be
                      > strongly against adding any such language-specific
                      >keywords. As a
                      > non-javascript- user of json I would find it a rather
                      >silly and useless
                      > addition. Json's goals are not, as far as I understand,
                      >to be
                      > javascript(- only) serialization format, but rather serve
                      >as a
                      > minimalistic generalized object notation.
                      >
                      > -+ Tatu +-
                      >
                      > On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Shelby Moore
                      ><shelby@coolpage. com> wrote:
                      >>>reliability
                      >>
                      >> On further thought, this is not any more a security
                      >>concern, than
                      >> JavaScript (or the web page) itself. Agreed, it should
                      >>be made
                      >> read-only to prevent against non-malicious untended
                      >>modification.
                      >>
                      >> There is no security in any JavaScript, because rogue
                      >>code can change
                      >> any user code. The entire current concept of browser
                      >>security is
                      >> conceptually flawed, and the solution is as follows:
                      >>
                      >> http://www.coolpage .com/commentary/ economic/ shelby/security. html
                      >>
                      >> The only trustable web page is the one where ALL
                      >>referents (resources)
                      >> come from a trusted source. Security is fundamentally
                      >>trust.
                      >> Increasing granularity of trust, decreases security
                      >>conflicts. I give
                      >> a proposal using sub-frames to segregate private data
                      >>from the rest of
                      >> the web page.

                      Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                      President and Secretary