Re: [json] Sharing Java objects with JavaScript

  • Claudio D'angelo
    Message 1 of 12 , May 15, 2008
      HI Phil,
      If I've understood you have a servlet that supply the information used
      to choice if build a select and (eventually) setted it.

      You have more choices but I tell you only two:

      * In the servlet you can use the HttpServletResponse to write in
      output the json stream:

      protected void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
      throws ServletException, IOException {
      String response = ....; // the json string , i.e:
      {select:true, values:[{value:"xxx", label:"Label 1"}, ...]}
      resp.setContentType("application/json");
      resp.setContentLength(response.length());
      PrintWriter writer = resp.getWriter();
      writer.write(response);
      writer.flush();
      }

      P.S.: you can use a JSP too.

      In javascript you receive the object directly.

      * You can also use the JAJB (http://jajb.sourceforg.net) that is a
      binding system between java and json. You can have in java your
      javabean and map it in json stream (and vice versa). If you don't
      want think about transmission you can use the JsonRPC for java
      (you can found it in http://jontools.sourceforge.net but is in
      development status although it works) that use JAJB to map json to
      java and call directly your business class.

      If I can help you, let me know.

      Phil ha scritto:

      > I'm upgrading a web page so that it uses ajax. I'm pretty much done,
      > except for one thing. If I have a value determined in a servlet that I
      > need to use in JavaScript how can I use JSON to do this for me? EG; I'm
      > setting a value in the servlet that controls whether or not I build a
      > SELECT control in JavaScript using the DOM methods. How do I access
      > that value in the JS?
      > TIA...

    • Arthur Blake
      Message 2 of 12 , May 16, 2008
        Take a look at http://jabsorb.org

        Message 3 of 12 , May 16, 2008
          On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Claudio D'angelo
          <claudio.dangelo@...> wrote:

          Hi Claudio, I was wondering about this:

          > * You can also use the JAJB (http://jajb.sourceforg.net) that is a
          > binding system between java and json. You can have in java your

          I have been looking for something like this (assuming it does what it
          should be, i.e. like JAXB, but instead of XML, json). But the project
          home page seems to be void of content. Do you know where I could learn
          more about it?

          I have been thinking of writing such a binding framework myself, but
          if a decent one exists, I wouldn't mind saving that time for something
          else. :-)

          Also, related to the original question: there are many data binding
          tools between Java and JSon.
          In addition to ones mentioned, Jackson JSON processor (at
          http://jackson.codehaus.org/) has simple mappings from json to either
          Java containers/primitives (List, Maps, Strings, Numbers, Booleans,
          null), or to DOM-like node-based tree (JsonNode) with path access.
          It does not have bean-bindings, but I am hoping to be able to hook
          Jackson parser to a framework.
          That would be useful for my use case, which requires high performance,
          and where Jackson's ultra-fast parsing is necessary, but where
          convenience of true data binding would also come in handy. :-)

          -+ Tatu +-
        • Claudio D'angelo
          Message 4 of 12 , May 18, 2008
            Hi Tatu,
            you can found the documentation of JAJB in
            http://jajb.sourceforge.net/documentation.html (there is a link to pdf).
            In cc there is the project's owner.
            If the documentation is not complete please report it to Gabriele or me.

            JAJB permits to map json in javabean using 3 different ways: xml
            mapping, annotation and direct mapping. We have studied jajb to map
            (also) java classes that doesn't follow the javabean specification.
            I'm available (and I think Gabriele too) to help you with JAJB.

            JAJB depends by SAJ and DOMJson that they are 2 libraries to parse json
            (SAJ is like SAX).
            SAJ has a simple support for an old specification of json-schema that
            you can use to validate your json stream. Now we are working to
            implement another validation system in SAJ called json-vl (see
            http://jontools.sourceforge.net/).

            I and Gabriele works to use json in any data transmission system (web
            rich client and business2business) and we have needed of developers that
            supply feedbacks (this help ours projects that use this libraries).

            Claudio

            Tatu Saloranta ha scritto:

            > On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Claudio D'angelo
            > <claudio.dangelo@...
            > <mailto:claudio.dangelo%40lombardia-servizi.it>> wrote:
            >
            > Hi Claudio, I was wondering about this:
            >
            > > * You can also use the JAJB (http://jajb.sourceforg.net
            > <http://jajb.sourceforg.net>) that is a
            > > binding system between java and json. You can have in java your
            >
            > I have been looking for something like this (assuming it does what it
            > should be, i.e. like JAXB, but instead of XML, json). But the project
            > home page seems to be void of content. Do you know where I could learn
            > more about it?
            >
            > I have been thinking of writing such a binding framework myself, but
            > if a decent one exists, I wouldn't mind saving that time for something
            > else. :-)
            >
            > Also, related to the original question: there are many data binding
            > tools between Java and JSon.
            > In addition to ones mentioned, Jackson JSON processor (at
            > http://jackson.codehaus.org/ <http://jackson.codehaus.org/>) has
            > simple mappings from json to either
            > Java containers/primitives (List, Maps, Strings, Numbers, Booleans,
            > null), or to DOM-like node-based tree (JsonNode) with path access.
            > It does not have bean-bindings, but I am hoping to be able to hook
            > Jackson parser to a framework.
            > That would be useful for my use case, which requires high performance,
            > and where Jackson's ultra-fast parsing is necessary, but where
            > convenience of true data binding would also come in handy. :-)
            >
            > -+ Tatu +-

          • Mark Ireland
            Message 5 of 12 , May 19, 2008
              Do you want to see if it works for ColdFusion?

              Search for local singles online @ Lavalife - Click here
              http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30290&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search_OCT07&_m=EXT

              Message 6 of 12 , May 19, 2008
                On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Phil <randomnoise@...> wrote:

                > I'm upgrading a web page so that it uses ajax. I'm pretty much done,
                > except for one thing. If I have a value determined in a servlet that I
                > need to use in JavaScript how can I use JSON to do this for me? EG; I'm
                > setting a value in the servlet that controls whether or not I build a
                > SELECT control in JavaScript using the DOM methods. How do I access
                > that value in the JS?

                Have you looked at DWR? It's not an explicit JSON solution, but it's almost
                certainly the most widely used library for integrating JavaScript on the
                client with Java on the server.

                http://getahead.org/dwr/

                > TIA...

              • Claudio D'angelo
                Message 7 of 12 , May 20, 2008
                  By Gabriele

                  Hi all,
                  hi Tatu,
                  ihepda told me you had problems to use jajb because of missing
                  docs about annotation usage!

                  I've just relesed a new pdf guide file concerning annotation usage,
                  take a look here: http://jajb.sourceforge.net/documentation.html

                  Anyway I'm here for all your question about jajb usage.
                  I hope jajb will be useful for all the community!

                  Bye
                  gabriele

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 20, 2008
                    On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 5:36 AM, Claudio D'angelo
                    <claudio.dangelo@...> wrote:
                    > By Gabriele
                    >
                    > Hi all,
                    > hi Tatu,
                    > ihepda told me you had problems to use jajb because of missing
                    > docs about annotation usage!
                    >
                    > I've just relesed a new pdf guide file concerning annotation usage,
                    > take a look here: http://jajb.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
                    >
                    > Anyway I'm here for all your question about jajb usage.
                    > I hope jajb will be useful for all the community!

                    Thank you for the update!

                    -+ Tatu +-
                  • Claudio D'angelo
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 21, 2008
                      What?
                      Can you explain better?

                      Thanks

                      Mark Ireland ha scritto:

> [...]
                      > > > It does not have bean-bindings, but I am hoping to be able to hook
                      > > > Jackson parser to a framework.
                      > > > That would be useful for my use case, which requires high performance,
                      > > > and where Jackson's ultra-fast parsing is necessary, but where
                      > > > convenience of true data binding would also come in handy. :-)
                      > > >
                      > > > -+ Tatu +-

                      > Search for local singles online @ Lavalife - Click here
                      > http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30290&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search_OCT07&_m=EXT
                      > <http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30290&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search_OCT07&_m=EXT>

                    • Mark Joseph
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 21, 2008
                        For anyone using C++ with JSON we have built
                        a SAX like parser for JSON that also builds a DOM tree.
                        It then allows our XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0 tools to
                        directly
                        access that data just like if it was XML. See the
                        article below:

                        http://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/06/xslt-and-xpath-for-json/

                        Best,
                        Mark

                        -------------------------
                        Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                        President and Secretary
                        P6R, Inc.
                        http://www.p6r.com
                        408-205-0361
                        Fax: 831-476-7490
                        Skype: markjoseph_sc
                        IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
                        (AIM) mjoseph8888
                      • gabrielenegro
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 22, 2008
                          Hi all,
                          I'm sorry for late, I had some problem to subscribe the group!

                          First (for tatu): I've released a pdf guide for annotation usage for
                          jajb, you can find it at http://jajb.sourceforge.net/documentation.html.
                          Anyway, now I'm here and I can help you all and answer to you question!

                          Please, alert me for each bugs you'll find, I'll try to solve them
                          immediatly.

                          Second (for akaidr4vr): I'm not sure about your question: do you want
                          to now if jajb can be integrated with cold fusion?