Sharing Java objects with JavaScript

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 12 , May 15 6:17 PM
      I'm upgrading a web page so that it uses ajax. I'm pretty much done,
      except for one thing. If I have a value determined in a servlet that I
      need to use in JavaScript how can I use JSON to do this for me? EG; I'm
      setting a value in the servlet that controls whether or not I build a
      SELECT control in JavaScript using the DOM methods. How do I access
      that value in the JS?
      TIA...

    • Claudio D'angelo
      Message 2 of 12 , May 15 11:38 PM
        HI Phil,
        If I've understood you have a servlet that supply the information used
        to choice if build a select and (eventually) setted it.

        You have more choices but I tell you only two:

        * In the servlet you can use the HttpServletResponse to write in
        output the json stream:

        protected void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
        throws ServletException, IOException {
        String response = ....; // the json string , i.e:
        {select:true, values:[{value:"xxx", label:"Label 1"}, ...]}
        resp.setContentType("application/json");
        resp.setContentLength(response.length());
        PrintWriter writer = resp.getWriter();
        writer.write(response);
        writer.flush();
        }

        P.S.: you can use a JSP too.

        In javascript you receive the object directly.

        * You can also use the JAJB (http://jajb.sourceforg.net) that is a
        binding system between java and json. You can have in java your
        javabean and map it in json stream (and vice versa). If you don't
        want think about transmission you can use the JsonRPC for java
        (you can found it in http://jontools.sourceforge.net but is in
        development status although it works) that use JAJB to map json to
        java and call directly your business class.

        If I can help you, let me know.

        Phil ha scritto:

        > I'm upgrading a web page so that it uses ajax. I'm pretty much done,
        > except for one thing. If I have a value determined in a servlet that I
        > need to use in JavaScript how can I use JSON to do this for me? EG; I'm
        > setting a value in the servlet that controls whether or not I build a
        > SELECT control in JavaScript using the DOM methods. How do I access
        > that value in the JS?
        > TIA...

      • Arthur Blake
        Message 3 of 12 , May 16 4:48 AM
          Take a look at http://jabsorb.org

          Message 4 of 12 , May 16 11:48 AM
            On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Claudio D'angelo
            <claudio.dangelo@...> wrote:

            Hi Claudio, I was wondering about this:

            > * You can also use the JAJB (http://jajb.sourceforg.net) that is a
            > binding system between java and json. You can have in java your

            I have been looking for something like this (assuming it does what it
            should be, i.e. like JAXB, but instead of XML, json). But the project
            home page seems to be void of content. Do you know where I could learn
            more about it?

            I have been thinking of writing such a binding framework myself, but
            if a decent one exists, I wouldn't mind saving that time for something
            else. :-)

            Also, related to the original question: there are many data binding
            tools between Java and JSon.
            In addition to ones mentioned, Jackson JSON processor (at
            http://jackson.codehaus.org/) has simple mappings from json to either
            Java containers/primitives (List, Maps, Strings, Numbers, Booleans,
            null), or to DOM-like node-based tree (JsonNode) with path access.
            It does not have bean-bindings, but I am hoping to be able to hook
            Jackson parser to a framework.
            That would be useful for my use case, which requires high performance,
            and where Jackson's ultra-fast parsing is necessary, but where
            convenience of true data binding would also come in handy. :-)

            -+ Tatu +-
          • Claudio D'angelo
            Message 5 of 12 , May 18 11:46 PM
              Hi Tatu,
              you can found the documentation of JAJB in
              http://jajb.sourceforge.net/documentation.html (there is a link to pdf).
              In cc there is the project's owner.
              If the documentation is not complete please report it to Gabriele or me.

              JAJB permits to map json in javabean using 3 different ways: xml
              mapping, annotation and direct mapping. We have studied jajb to map
              (also) java classes that doesn't follow the javabean specification.
              I'm available (and I think Gabriele too) to help you with JAJB.

              JAJB depends by SAJ and DOMJson that they are 2 libraries to parse json
              (SAJ is like SAX).
              SAJ has a simple support for an old specification of json-schema that
              you can use to validate your json stream. Now we are working to
              implement another validation system in SAJ called json-vl (see
              http://jontools.sourceforge.net/).

              I and Gabriele works to use json in any data transmission system (web
              rich client and business2business) and we have needed of developers that
              supply feedbacks (this help ours projects that use this libraries).

              Claudio

              Tatu Saloranta ha scritto:

              > On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Claudio D'angelo
              > <claudio.dangelo@...
              > <mailto:claudio.dangelo%40lombardia-servizi.it>> wrote:
              >
              > Hi Claudio, I was wondering about this:
              >
              > > * You can also use the JAJB (http://jajb.sourceforg.net
              > <http://jajb.sourceforg.net>) that is a
              > > binding system between java and json. You can have in java your
              >
              > I have been looking for something like this (assuming it does what it
              > should be, i.e. like JAXB, but instead of XML, json). But the project
              > home page seems to be void of content. Do you know where I could learn
              > more about it?
              >
              > I have been thinking of writing such a binding framework myself, but
              > if a decent one exists, I wouldn't mind saving that time for something
              > else. :-)
              >
              > Also, related to the original question: there are many data binding
              > tools between Java and JSon.
              > In addition to ones mentioned, Jackson JSON processor (at
              > http://jackson.codehaus.org/ <http://jackson.codehaus.org/>) has
              > simple mappings from json to either
              > Java containers/primitives (List, Maps, Strings, Numbers, Booleans,
              > null), or to DOM-like node-based tree (JsonNode) with path access.
              > It does not have bean-bindings, but I am hoping to be able to hook
              > Jackson parser to a framework.
              > That would be useful for my use case, which requires high performance,
              > and where Jackson's ultra-fast parsing is necessary, but where
              > convenience of true data binding would also come in handy. :-)
              >
              > -+ Tatu +-

            • Mark Ireland
              Message 6 of 12 , May 19 12:43 AM
                Do you want to see if it works for ColdFusion?

                Search for local singles online @ Lavalife - Click here
                http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30290&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search_OCT07&_m=EXT

                Message 7 of 12 , May 19 6:49 AM
                  On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Phil <randomnoise@...> wrote:

                  > I'm upgrading a web page so that it uses ajax. I'm pretty much done,
                  > except for one thing. If I have a value determined in a servlet that I
                  > need to use in JavaScript how can I use JSON to do this for me? EG; I'm
                  > setting a value in the servlet that controls whether or not I build a
                  > SELECT control in JavaScript using the DOM methods. How do I access
                  > that value in the JS?

                  Have you looked at DWR? It's not an explicit JSON solution, but it's almost
                  certainly the most widely used library for integrating JavaScript on the
                  client with Java on the server.

                  http://getahead.org/dwr/

                  > TIA...

                • Claudio D'angelo
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 20 5:36 AM
                    By Gabriele

                    Hi all,
                    hi Tatu,
                    ihepda told me you had problems to use jajb because of missing
                    docs about annotation usage!

                    I've just relesed a new pdf guide file concerning annotation usage,
                    take a look here: http://jajb.sourceforge.net/documentation.html

                    Anyway I'm here for all your question about jajb usage.
                    I hope jajb will be useful for all the community!

                    Bye
                    gabriele

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 20 9:52 AM
                      On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 5:36 AM, Claudio D'angelo
                      <claudio.dangelo@...> wrote:
                      > By Gabriele
                      >
                      > Hi all,
                      > hi Tatu,
                      > ihepda told me you had problems to use jajb because of missing
                      > docs about annotation usage!
                      >
                      > I've just relesed a new pdf guide file concerning annotation usage,
                      > take a look here: http://jajb.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
                      >
                      > Anyway I'm here for all your question about jajb usage.
                      > I hope jajb will be useful for all the community!

                      Thank you for the update!

                      -+ Tatu +-
                    • Claudio D'angelo
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 21 12:33 AM
                        What?
                        Can you explain better?

                        Thanks

                        Mark Ireland ha scritto:

> [...]
                        > > > It does not have bean-bindings, but I am hoping to be able to hook
                        > > > Jackson parser to a framework.
                        > > > That would be useful for my use case, which requires high performance,
                        > > > and where Jackson's ultra-fast parsing is necessary, but where
                        > > > convenience of true data binding would also come in handy. :-)
                        > > >
                        > > > -+ Tatu +-

                        > Search for local singles online @ Lavalife - Click here
                        > http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30290&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search_OCT07&_m=EXT
                        > <http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30290&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search_OCT07&_m=EXT>

                      • Mark Joseph
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 21 9:40 AM
                          For anyone using C++ with JSON we have built
                          a SAX like parser for JSON that also builds a DOM tree.
                          It then allows our XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0 tools to
                          directly
                          access that data just like if it was XML. See the
                          article below:

                          http://www.p6r.com/articles/2008/05/06/xslt-and-xpath-for-json/

                          Best,
                          Mark

                          -------------------------
                          Mark Joseph, Ph.D.
                          President and Secretary
                          P6R, Inc.
                          http://www.p6r.com
                          408-205-0361
                          Fax: 831-476-7490
                          Skype: markjoseph_sc
                          IM: (Yahoo) mjoseph8888
                          (AIM) mjoseph8888
                        • gabrielenegro
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 22 1:08 AM
                            Hi all,
                            I'm sorry for late, I had some problem to subscribe the group!

                            First (for tatu): I've released a pdf guide for annotation usage for
                            jajb, you can find it at http://jajb.sourceforge.net/documentation.html.
                            Anyway, now I'm here and I can help you all and answer to you question!

                            Please, alert me for each bugs you'll find, I'll try to solve them
                            immediatly.

                            Second (for akaidr4vr): I'm not sure about your question: do you want
                            to now if jajb can be integrated with cold fusion?