Re: [json] MIME types

  • Michal Migurski
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5 10:12 AM
      > While lack of such marker makes it easier to embed json (json
      > encapsulation in json is trivial; in xml declaration & single-root
      > requirement make it very cumbersome to embed xml in xml) it's a pain
      > if one tries to extend markup itself.
      > That's why I suspect it might be best that json remained as is, and
      > further development was done at higher level by using what exists,
      > instead of trying to shoehorn new features at low level ("just because
      > something can be done don't mean it should").

      +1, keep it simple.

      Most of my JSON use is as a communication format between JS, Python,
      PHP, etc. There's no value here to having JS-specific features in the
      format.

      -mike.

      michal migurski- mike@...
      415.558.1610
    • Kris Zyp
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5 10:24 AM
        Perhaps I wasn't clear, I wasn't intending to propose that anyone needs to adopt a superset of JSON or add any features to JSON. I was simply asking how and if people like to define JSON variants (most importantly subsets) with MIME types. Sorry for the superset digression...
        Kris

        > While lack of such marker makes it easier to embed json (json
        > encapsulation in json is trivial; in xml declaration & single-root
        > requirement make it very cumbersome to embed xml in xml) it's a pain
        > if one tries to extend markup itself.
        > That's why I suspect it might be best that json remained as is, and
        > further development was done at higher level by using what exists,
        > instead of trying to shoehorn new features at low level ("just because
        > something can be done don't mean it should").

        +1, keep it simple.

        Most of my JSON use is as a communication format between JS, Python,
        PHP, etc. There's no value here to having JS-specific features in the
        format.

        -mike.

      • Nick Thompson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5 4:24 PM
          I would like to see one additional mime type and associated file
          extension, something like text/envelope+json and ".je" - not important.
          This format would be a JSON document containing an object with a well
          defined container or envelope format, and of course as many subobjects
          as you want to put in there.

          Once you have this envelope it's easy to add new information to it that
          will be ignored by old processors, and you have the full expressiveness
          of JSON for all your metadata needs. I don't see why anybody would
          want to deal with new mime types for JSON if a standard envelope format
          were available.

          nick

          Kris Zyp wrote:

          > Perhaps I wasn't clear, I wasn't intending to propose that anyone needs
          > to adopt a superset of JSON or add any features to JSON. I was simply
          > asking how and if people like to define JSON variants (most importantly
          > subsets) with MIME types. Sorry for the superset digression...
          > Kris

        • Stephen M. McKamey
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6 7:17 AM
            No offense, but I think the replies thus far have missed Kris'
            point. Kris is trying to get opinions on additional MIME types for
            specific applications of JSON. These aren't necessarily messaging
            envelopes and are still platform-agnostic. These are situations
            where JSON is the format but the structure is important. Examples
            from the XML world:

            - ATOM: "application/atom+xml"
            - XHTML: "application/xhtml+xml"
            - XSLT: "application/xslt+xml"
            - SVG: "image/svg+xml"

            As you can see, these are all valid XML formats but it makes sense
            due to their profileration to give them a MIME type that allows
            better assumption of a subset of XML. I wouldn't want to interpret
            SVG as an XHTML document and such it is nice to be able to
            communicate between client-server the "types" that are accepted.

            As I see it, opinions on this will more or less fall into three main
            camps:

            1) avoid MIME variants at all costs
            2) standardize and use for every standardized variant
            3) standardize and use sparingly where justified

            There is the strict purist/minimalist perspective which would suggest
            #1. This has the advantage of remaining simple, pure and keeps JSON
            as just JSON. I can respect that. And judging by Kris' question he
            is probably okay with that as well if that is the group concensus.

            There are circumstances that #2 or #3 would be nice however. For
            instance when I make a request for JsonML, it is nice to be able to
            inform the server that as a client I can accept a JsonML response
            (and in response that the format is actually JsonML and not just JSON
            data which must be processed differently). This is a more specific
            requirement than just being able to parse JSON. Essentially JSON
            data needs to be in a particular structure or it doesn't make sense
            to a JsonML builder.

            Now that being said, the risk of opening this Pandora's Box is that
            every developer and their mom might begin creating MIME types for
            every piece of ad hoc JSON data. Granted if we went with #3, we
            could just rely on IANA to police the JSON MIME type horizon. As it
            is, in order to officially have a "application/XXXX+json" MIME, you
            have to have a formalized standard and they have to accept your
            application. See [ http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/ ]
            for more info.

            My only real fear is that if we don't pick a standard of some kind
            then we run into the issues where incompatibility makes the feature
            useless. Initially JavaScript itself suffered from this issue until
            it was later better standardized (see RFC-4329) but this caused
            confusion and incompatibility for years.

            My suggestion would be option #3 with IANA policing the
            official "application/XXXX+json" MIME space, but also some standard
            set in place for "X-" MIME types. For instance a JsonML MIME type
            isn't official, so technically it should be
            "x-application/jsonml+json" rather than "application/jsonml+json".
            This is the official way of "experimentally" creating a MIME type.

            I hope this makes sense and that we can come to some sort of
            consensus.

            smm

            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "kriszyp" wrote:

            > I wanted to see if there was any prevailing consensus on if and how
            > JSON subsets and alternatives should be denoted with MIME types.
            There
            > are a growing number of JSON subsets like JSON-RPC, JSONT, JsonML,
            > JSON Schema, etc. There may be benefits in being able to define
            which
            > subset is begin used as a MIME type. XML has used a subtype+xml
            > convention, and I noticed that Stephen McKamey is using this
            precedent
            > to suggest denoting JsonML as "application/jsonml+json". I am
            > perfectly fine with using this convention, I just wanted to see if
            > others felt this was the way to go, or if it is preferable to do
            more
            > "minor" subtyping that would not suggest a need for IANA
            registration
            > like "application/json; rpc", or something like that.
            >
            > I am also curious if there any thoughts about JSON supersets. There
            > have been little efforts to create any formal proposals in this
            area,
            > but I don't think it is totally uncommon to use additional
            JavaScript
            > constructs for JSON-esque data, and postel's law application to JSON
            > almost invariably means allowing for additional JavaScript defined
            > flexibility (non-quoted keys, comments, etc). One could think of
            > JavaScript expressions as a type unto themselves, the true superset
            of
            > JSON (JavaScript itself is not actually a correct superset of JSON
            > because JSON is not valid JavaScript by itself, it must be enclosed
            in
            > paranthesis to make it a JavaScript expression). Generally
            JavaScript
            > libraries that don't do validation before an eval (Dojo and many
            > others) are actually full JavaScript expression acceptors, and
            > non-JavaScript libraries and JavaScript libraries that do validation
            > (like json.org's library) would be only JSON acceptors. I am
            wondering
            > if MIME type definition might be valuable here as well (providers
            > would know if they can include comments, for example).
            >
            > Anyway, I am not really making any proposals, just curious it there
            > are prevailing feelings towards MIME types for defining different
            JSON
            > formats.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Kris
          • Kris Zyp
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6 7:51 AM
              Thank you Stephen, this exactly what I was asking! Thanks for clearly articulating this. I was also wondering if there is an option #4, which may be an enhancement of #1, where we also use application/json, but we include extra info after a semicolon to denote structure/application information. JsonML might be:
              application/json; type=jsonml

              Or something like that. I believe there other types that use something like this to include extra info; multipart includes boundary definition after a semicolon, and I have seen charset info included after a semicolon. However, I am not sure what the semantic intents and constraints are for this approach, it may be inappropriate to define subtypes in this manner. I really am fine with any of these approaches and just wanted to get some consensus. I am perfectly content to follow your (Stephen) precedent with {x-}application/subtype+json.

              Thanks,
              Kris

              #1. This has the advantage of remaining simple, pure and keeps JSON

            • Stephen M. McKamey
              Message 6 of 9 , May 6 8:03 AM
                I would also support a #4 as you've described as long as whatever it
                is works within the IANA restraints. It has been a while now since I
                sifted through the RFCs but it might be a good time to revisit. The
                commentary which influenced my initial stance was in the XML MIME
                Type RFC:

                http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3023#page-32

                Definitely worth a read as they've justified the reasoning for XML's
                usage of the "+xml" style. They also discuss some alternatives.

                Thanks,
                smm

                #4, which may be an enhancement of #1, where we also use
                application/json, but we include extra info after a semicolon to
                denote structure/application information. JsonML might be:
                > application/json; type=jsonml
                >
                > Or something like that. I believe there other types that use
                something like this to include extra info; multipart includes
                boundary definition after a semicolon, and I have seen charset info
                included after a semicolon. However, I am not sure what the semantic
                intents and constraints are for this approach, it may be
                inappropriate to define subtypes in this manner. I really am fine
                with any of these approaches and just wanted to get some consensus. I
                am perfectly content to follow your (Stephen) precedent with {x-}
                application/subtype+json.

                > Thanks,
                > Kris

                JSON
> [...]
                > > because JSON is not valid JavaScript by itself, it must be
                enclosed
                > in
                > > paranthesis to make it a JavaScript expression). Generally
                > JavaScript
                > > libraries that don't do validation before an eval (Dojo and many
                > > others) are actually full JavaScript expression acceptors, and
                > > non-JavaScript libraries and JavaScript libraries that do
                validation
                > > (like json.org's library) would be only JSON acceptors. I am
                > wondering
                > > if MIME type definition might be valuable here as well
                (providers
                > > would know if they can include comments, for example).
                > >
                > > Anyway, I am not really making any proposals, just curious it
                there
                > > are prevailing feelings towards MIME types for defining

              • Kris Zyp
                Message 7 of 9 , May 6 9:00 AM
                  Thank you, that RFC is very helpful, and they definitely make a strong case for option #3 instead of #4. One of the most important influences in the decision is in how you want MIME dispatchers built on existing infrastructure to respond to different JSON types. If you think it would be best for all JSON content to be handled by one application which would then have different internal logic for different subtypes, you would may want some variant on option #4 (although there are additional complications with getting the additional info through in some cases), but if different applications should handle the different types in MIME dispatching infrastructures, we should probably use #3. This is kind of a difficult analysis to use since I believe most JSON applications probably don't even use MIME dispatching architectures (like XHR).

                  Anyway, based on that RFC I would be inclined to think option #3 (application/subtype+json) is probably the best bet for things like JSON-RPC, JsonML, JSON Schema, etc. There may be some situations where MIME parameters may be helpful in denoting extra features, for example using JSON referencing would probably be best defined as a MIME parameter (especially since it is applicable to multiple subtypes), and explicitly stating how dates are represented may be something to define in a MIME parameter as well.

                  Thanks,
                  Kris
                  ps
                  With great trepidation that I might spark another superset rabbit trail, it is also interesting to note the obvious parallel alternate syntax MIME types that correspond to these types. For example a browser might well say
                  Accept: x-application/jsonml+javascript-expr, x-application/jsonml+json
                  to indicate that it can accept more than just JSON (comments, dates, etc). However, I want even bother to ask if this seems reasonable lest others think I am suggesting that extra features be added to JSON :).

                  #4, which may be an enhancement of #1, where we also use