Re: [json] JSONML

  • John Cowan
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2008
      Atif Aziz scripsit:

      > > The only information
      > > lost in this example is the shape of <f></f> compared to the
      > > more compact <e/>.
      >
      > Couldn't this even be preserved by using an empty string as the second
      > or third element (depending on presence of attributes)? That is, if
      > ["e"] were emitted as ["e",""] then the shape could be maintained.

      This is a distinction without a difference. No XML software (other
      than perhaps some XML editors) maintains a difference between <a></a>
      and <a/>; they are exact synonyms.

      --
      John Cowan cowan@... http://ccil.org/~cowan
      "The exception proves the rule." Dimbulbs think: "Your counterexample proves
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2008
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, John Cowan <cowan@...> wrote:

        > This is a distinction without a difference. No XML software (other
        > than perhaps some XML editors) maintains a difference between <a></a>
        > and <a/>; they are exact synonyms.

        (the tag itself not being important)?

        I would argue that the two are not synonyms as emptying an attribute
        value could mean overriding a default attribute value.

        I have not investigated myself if this is not supported - I'm only
        curious.

        Best regards
        Michael Schøler
      • John Cowan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2008
          Michael Schøler scripsit:

          > (the tag itself not being important)?
          >
          > I would argue that the two are not synonyms as emptying an attribute
          > value could mean overriding a default attribute value.

          You are right: they are not synonyms.

          --
          John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan <cowan@...>
          "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context. A telegram