933Re: [json] jabsorb 1.2.2 released

  • Arthur Blake
    Jan 17, 2008
      > On Jan 16, 2008 11:07 PM, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@...> wrote:
      > On Jan 16, 2008 4:19 PM, Arthur Blake <arthur.blake@...<arthur.blake%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      > > I'm very pleased to announce the release of jabsorb 1.2.2.
      > >
      > > jabsorb is a simple and lightweight (yet quite powerful) Ajax/Web
      > > 2.0framework that allows you to call methods in a Java web application
      > > from
      > > JavaScript code running in a web browser as if they were local objects
      > > residing directly in the browser.
      > That sounds a lot like DWR. Can you provide a brief comparison?
      > --
      > Martin Cooper

      I'm not a DWR expert, but from what I understand, both libraries fulfill the
      same basic purposes.

      The main difference that I've always touted is:

      jabsorb is based on JSON-RPC standard (although with new circular references
      support, standard JSON-RPC is extended)
      DWR uses it's own inherent protocol, but new JSON features are being added.
      DWR also has some built in support for reverse ajax. This can be done with
      jabsorb too, but it's not as integrated like it is with DWR.
      DWR appears to have a larger code base and more bells and whistles, while
      jabsorb is a bit lighter and simpler.

      So it appears that the libraries are currently converging in their feature
      sets, somewhat.

      Both jabsorb and DWR have been been around for quite awhile. jabsorb was
      formerly known as JSON-RPC-Java. (It was originally forked off of
      JSON-RPC-Java, but then the parent project joined jabsorb to form a unified
      project, yet retaining the jabsorb name.)

      It would be nice to hear some pros and cons from anyone who has used both
      libraries extensively.