779Re: [json] Re: JSON -- rfc question -- Encoding

  • Mark Miller
    Apr 13, 2007
      Douglas Crockford wrote:
      >> 1) Must a conformant JSON parser recognize all legal encodings? Or
      >> can a parser be conformant with documented restrictions on what
      >> encodings it can accept?
      >
      > Parties can agree on what is acceptable and meaningful. For example,
      > it is reasonable for a receiver to put limits on message length or
      > string length or nesting depth.

      For example, JSON in E-0.9 accepts only Unicode characters from the "basic
      multilingual plane", i.e., characters whose code point fits in 16 bits. As I
      read the JSON spec, this is an allowable restriction. This restriction is
      needed since E-0.9 does not support Unicode supplementary characters, i.e.,
      characters whose code points are >= 2**16.

      Cheers,
      --MarkM
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic