711Re: [json] Re: Iterating through a huge JSON variable - freezes FF

  • Michal Migurski
    Feb 7, 2007
      > And my data.json:
      >
      > ---
      > [{attributes: {name: "ca", id: "2"}}, {attributes: {name:
      > "111ffrrferf", id: "3"}},.... * 2000 records

      Nitpick: this isn't valid JSON, get those hash keys quoted.

      > I am pretty sure I know where the error comes from. It is due to the
      > this.resultContainer.innerHTML... I tried briefly to save it to a temp
      > before exchanging the innerHTML and I could see a real change in the
      > time it takes to load the json.
      >
      > Do you beleive my code is a good approach on generating html from
      > large JSON?
      >
      > I still beleive it is not a clean solution. I am very new to
      > Javascript. Multi-threading will be needed in the features especially
      > with the usage of AJAX and controller logic being more and more on the
      > client side. How does the AJAX request approach the subject?

      Iterating over 2000 of anything in Javascript is going to cause
      problems for most browsers - visit a heavily-commented page on Digg
      for another example of greedy, blocking loops in a production site. =)

      Try to break this problem down into smaller chunks, as Matthew
      suggested. For example, divide the 2000-element request into 100-
      element requests, and chain them together so that a new request is
      fired only after the previous response has been received and handled.
      It will take longer overall and require more trips to and from the
      server, but giving the browser some breathing room to address user
      input or UI tasks will make it feel snappier. This kind of
      asynchronous (the "A" in "Ajax"), chunked-out approach gets you most
      of the benefits of multithreading without the headaches.

      -mike.