687Re: [json] Re: JSON vs XML

    Jan 18, 2007

      > > The technology behind JSON is a subset of JavaScript
      > > syntax, and nothing more. AJAX has nothing to do with JSON except
      > insofar as
      > > you can choose to use similar techniques using JSON instead of XML -
      > but at
      > > that point, it is no longer AJAX.
      >
      > It's all Ajax. Ajax is the ability to produce interactive web
      > applications that do not depend exclusively on page replacement. When
      > Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
      > [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
      > he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
      > of it. He did not intend to exclude it.

      Says you. But the X in AJAX stands for XML, not a variable, and the article
      you quote is very clear about that. Whether he knew about JSON at the time
      is irrelevant; there are plenty of other formats that he could have talked
      about, such as plain text, HTML, JavaScript, etc. But he didn't, he talked
      about XML, and he defined Ajax in terms of it.

      I'm sure that you, being Mr. JSON, would like to post facto redefine the X
      to be a variable, and therefore include JSON, but it's just not so.