460RE: [json] JSON representation of common types

  • Todd
    Jul 12, 2006
      Thanks for the great feedback Atif.

      But I’m really not looking to introduce behavior into JSON at all. I don’t
      think we even need to get that in depth in order to outline a basic way of
      returning the data inside the DataSet.

      A DataSet may be an object specific to .NET but each language has some form
      of object that represents data returned from a database. They may be known
      by a different names, get referenced with different syntax, and have
      slightly different behaviors associated with them. However, at the most
      fundamental level they are approximately the same thing, that being, a
      “flat” 2 dimensional data object (containing columns and rows).

      My thought is not to duplicate all the “behavioral baggage”. It is simply to
      take that data (columns and rows) and decide on a uniform way of
      representing it within JSON.

      In reality there are only two ways to look at DataSets, QueryBeans,
      Whatever…..

      1. An Array of Objects (where each object has an identical set of keys)
      2. An Object of Arrays (where each array can be assumed to be of the
      exact same length)

      These objects can also be returned at the root level or nested down inside a
      “wrapper” object that contains “supporting” key values such as column Lists,
      record counts, etc…

      Everyone who has ever written a JSON parser has come up with (in their own
      mind) a great way of doing this already. I simply feel it would be helpful
      to the JSON community as a whole, if we all decided on ONE way and everyone
      stick to that.

      Who gets to decide on what the standard is? I don’t know. I’m just trying
      to start some dialog and get people thinking about it.

      Again, maybe I’m way off track here. But it my mind it would be helpful to
      know I can write some JavaScript that dynamically iterates through an object
      and know it won’t break regardless of what parser encoded the string.

      Just a thought ;)

      _____

      From: json@yahoogroups. <mailto:json%40yahoogroups.com> com
      <mailto:json%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:json@yahoogroups.