356Re: [json] Re: Introduction Date and Function objects to the standard [DATE PARSER]

    May 26, 2006
      On 5/26/06, Greg Patnude <gpatnude@...> wrote:

      > I have a JSON compatible date parser which converts a stringified
      > version of a C-Type date (mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm:ss.nnnn [AM:PM]) into a
      > JavaScript native Date object format...

      Why the C format? Why not base it on the ISO standard, if we have to include
      dates in JSON? And if the above format actually defines what you have, then
      how would I specify the time zone? Or is it assumed to be UTC?

      I will offer it to the JSON community to be included as a component of
      > the json.js library -- provided under the JSON License (Doug's "Good
      > NOT Evil" license)...
      >
      > Speaking of the "Good NOT Evil" license -- is anyone interested in
      > formalizing that ? like the myriad licensing already available -- GPL,
      > or LGPL, or BSD Licenses... we could call it the "GNOTE" license....

      No, no, no! There are already dozens and dozens of open source licenses.
      There is absolutely no good reason to invent another one. Do you have any
      idea how much legal crap creating a new license creates for any company or
      other organisation that actually wants to use the associated software? If
      you want to formalise the license, please, please pick one of these:

      http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

      I'd suggest the Apache License 2.0, which pretty much says you can do
      whatever you want with the software as long as you keep the original license
      in place.