221Re: [json] Internet Draft

  • Mark S. Miller
    Jan 18, 2006
      Douglas Crockford wrote:
      > I have submitted a draft to IETF. You can see it here:
      > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jsonorg-json-00.txt

      I suggest adding to section 4 Generators:

      A JSON generator SHOULD output a space after a <name-separator> (a colon)
      or a <value-separator> (a comma).

      From what you've said about YAML compatibility issues, I take it that the
      output of a JSON generator which follows the above recommendation would be
      valid YAML input. Is this really all that's necessary?

      If so, and if it would be acceptable to the JSON community, we may want to
      strengthen the above language to MUST. Otherwise, I'm happy with SHOULD.

      Does YAML need a space per se, or just whitespace there?

      Btw, the E term-tree generator, when given a term-tree using only
      JSON-compatible data, conforms to the spec + the above suggested recommendation.

      Cheers,
      --MarkM
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic