189Re: Strings

    Jan 4, 2006
      > And here was me blithely thinking JSON was supposed to be a "JavaScript
      > Object Notation". What happened to the JavaScript focus? With all due
      > respect, it's beginning to seem like JSON is supposed to be a minimalist
      > object notation that's compatible with JavaScript and as many other
      > languages as possible.

      That is correct.

      JSON is a text format that is completely language independent but uses
      conventions that are familiar to programmers of the C-family of
      languages, including C, C++, C#, Java, JavaScript, Perl, Python, and
      many others. These properties make JSON an ideal data-interchange
      language.

      JSON is built on two structures:

      * A collection of name/value pairs. In various languages, this is
      realized as an object, record, struct, dictionary, hash table, keyed
      list, or associative array.
      * An ordered list of values. In most languages, this is realized
      as an array, vector, list, table, or sequence.

      These are universal data structures. Virtually all modern programming
      languages support them in one form or another. It makes sense that a
      data format that is interchangable with programming languages also be
      based on these structures.

      See http://www.JSON.org
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic